Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Anyone see any news coverage today?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:40 pm

I've been checkin' out the tube for sum Elvis week coverage, but have seen very little.

My friend is down at Graceland today and he said there's load of news media down there and a phenomenol turn out of fans!

anyone seen anything on tv or news stations covering Elvis Week?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:44 pm

Not a whole lot of news coverage, but I read where there were 8,000-10,000 people at Graceland for the vigil last night, if not more.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:48 pm

Joe Car wrote:Not a whole lot of news coverage, but I read where there were 8,000-10,000 people at Graceland for the vigil last night, if not more.

really? wow, not a bad turnout!
I've been listenin' to my Sirius Elvis radio station and they claim that last nite there was a mad rush of people that came outta nowhere!?

apparently, it got real quiet for awhile, then BOOM, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 hundred fans jus turned up. real kool.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:37 am

I wouldn't expect much news coverage. 28 is not that big an anniversary.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:44 am

Likethebike,

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=us ... earch+News

Or do you mean just TV news?

Hundreds of newspaper stories internationally for the 28th.

The Vienna Elvis week story really took off:-) Even mentioned on our national radio today:-)

NEWS

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:45 am

On our local news at 7 AM they stated that Elvis had sold over a billion records, and nobody else would ever come close.

Re: NEWS

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:46 am

Barry wrote:On our local news at 7 AM they stated that Elvis had sold over a billion records, and nobody else would ever come close.

Ever hear of the Beatles?

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:06 am

the beatles? bah, humbug. it's elvis' day, baby.

cmt has viva las vegas on right now and e! had those LOWSY specials on earlier.

that's all i've seen today on tv.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:46 am

sauce1958 wrote:
Barry wrote:On our local news at 7 AM they stated that Elvis had sold over a billion records, and nobody else would ever come close.

Oh Great...here we go again!

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:09 am

In Brazil , Record channel showed a especial using He Touched Me and Great Performaces plus interviews with Brazilian fans and fanclubs.
Globo Channel ( the biggest and most respect in Brazil)in its "TV news" showed a special report about the 28 anniversary, using the By The Presleys DVD as a base. At the end, they showed Elvis singing My Way saying" Although he was no longer the sexy simbol he once was, the incredible voice was still there, pleasing millions"
Overall, a nice publicity.

TCB,

Sergio Luiz

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:49 am

Great publicity for the 28th Anniversary is still arriving. If only we had a tireless media watcher to collect all the stories...where's Eileen?

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=us ... +2005&btnG

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:25 am

Bill Burk says there was only about 4000 at the Vigil saying the higher figure was Graceland public relations. Media downunder has been the quietest for many years. Nothing on TV though a few oldies radio stations played Elvis on the 16th.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:51 am

Even 4,000 would be excellent for just a 28th Anniversary.

http://www.smh.com.au/specials/elvis/ This from Australia may give some pause for a lot of thought....if they missed it.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:21 am

In The Netherlands there was not much media attention for this but one station showed part of the Aloha concert (heavily edited) en the movie Girls, Girls, Girls.
Also a Dutch radiostation played Elvis songs for one hour.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:57 am

I'm pleased the anniversary has been low key this year, it's about time, and I hope it is the same next year.

People just have enough of it after a while, just look at how many view christmas as a hassle these days.

2007 however for the 30th I expect to have the media deciding that three years was a good enough break and that everybody gets on the campaign a month in advance and using the Turner multi DVD release of EOT-SE-MMVII as a backdrop to stories gives Elvis another lease of life.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:47 pm

In The Netherlands the national news broadcast looks back at something that happened on "this day". They went back 28 years and mentioned Elvis died. Luckily they finally did not use the drugs overdose thing but claimed it was due to overuse of prescribed medicine and Elvis' overweight.
Several programms also mentioned Elvis died 28 years ago.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Luuk wrote:In The Netherlands the national news broadcast looks back at something that happened on "this day". They went back 28 years and mentioned Elvis died. Luckily they finally did not use the drugs overdose thing but claimed it was due to overuse of prescribed medicine and Elvis' overweight.

But they sure did mentioned the drugs. Showing footage from Aloha and saying this was one of his last concerts.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:03 pm

3577 wrote:
Luuk wrote:In The Netherlands the national news broadcast looks back at something that happened on "this day". They went back 28 years and mentioned Elvis died. Luckily they finally did not use the drugs overdose thing but claimed it was due to overuse of prescribed medicine and Elvis' overweight.

But they sure did mentioned the drugs. Showing footage from Aloha and saying this was one of his last concerts.

"Drugs" in The Netherlands means "street drugs" like heroine, cocaine, et cetera. Therefore I am happy they used the word "medicine" instead.
Medicijnen (Medicine) is the correct translation of the English word drugs.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Well Elvis was celebrated all over our airwaves in Ireland and the BBC too yesterday.

Google news covered hundreds of newspaper and media stories about the 28th Anniversary.

Bodes well for the 30th:-)

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:58 pm

I agree with Sergio. Here in Brazil, we had many things about Elvis. On the radios, we had many tributes too. But there is one radio that said:

* Elvis spent 3 YEARS in the army!!! :shock: :shock:
* Elvis died of an overdose of alcohol mixed with drugs; :evil: :evil: :evil:
* And one person said that Elvis in 1976 and 1977 couldn´t finish the songs because he didn´t have powers to finish it. And they say that Charlie Hodge had to do it for Elvis :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

Of course that Charlie is dubbing songs like Hurt and Unchained Melody in 1977... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway, I liked the publicity given for Elvis in Brazil!

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:* Elvis spent 3 YEARS in the army!!! :shock: :shock:

Yeah ? 1958, 1959 and 1960.

Marco Aurelio wrote:* Elvis died of an overdose of alcohol mixed with drugs; :evil: :evil: :evil:

50% wrong does convert to being 50% right.

Marco Aurelio wrote:* And one person said that Elvis in 1976 and 1977 couldn´t finish the songs because he didn´t have powers to finish it. And they say that Charlie Hodge had to do it for Elvis :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

Rubbish as you know. Charlie indeed. Sherril on the other hand......

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:42 pm

http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/new ... is+presley

Just a little more.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:47 pm

minkahed wrote:
sauce1958 wrote:

Oh Great...here we go again!

Why do you say that Mink?

It's true, The Beatles do come close - thay are now as much as half way to catching Elvis.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:25 pm

Steve_M wrote:

Elvis was in the army for 18 months. 1 year and a half.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:43 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:
Steve_M wrote:

Elvis was in the army for 18 months. 1 year and a half.

It is just like those heavily advertised "3 day" trips abroad.
The ship leaves at 23.30 (day 1), you arrive at 10.00 a.m. and leave at 10.00 p.m. (day 2) and the ship is back at the place of origin at 06.00 a.m. (day 3). :? :oops: :roll: :wink: