Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Good or Bad Luck - Purple Elvis

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:10 pm

I had the good or bad luck of seeing a group of Elvis Impersonators this weekend and only one of the six sounded like he could even sing. Let alone sound like Elvis. I was getting more and more disgusted as each "performer" came to the stage - these were tickets from a family member and I only went because we see each other infrequently - but the disgust reached its boiling point when this 5 foot something 350 pound Elvis Impersonator came to the stage - in a purple jumpsuit.. I dont recall E ever wearing a total purple jumpsuit. Did he?

This guy was horrible and he makes his living doing this - it cant be much of a living. It was hard for me to watch. People were coming up and getting scarves from the guy - he couldnt go to them - tooo big. There should be some guidelines for people wanting to spend their time bringing back the memory of Elvis to the public. Now people went home thinking of Elvis along the lines of Barney the giant purple toy.

I had to pull out my Elvis Cds and pictures to quickly convince my family of what Elvis sounded and looked like. They were amazed at the difference - because they actually thought these guys sounded like Elvis, until they heard the real thing.

I had to vent, but did Elvis ever own a full purple jumpsuit?

Rob

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:20 pm

There has been sum discrepancies if Elvis actually DID have a Purple jumpsuit. I think he did.

I have seen this jumpsuit, but others have clamied it to be a Blue color and/or maybe the lights of the stage altered it's color...?

I wish I had the photo to back this up, but lost it when I got hit a computer virus. maybe someone else could provide the photo.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:26 pm

If I recall correctly, this photo is from Greensboro, North Carolina, April 14th 1972.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:28 pm

Thanks for the photo. Thats the suit, just a thinner version.

Now Elvis looks great in this. The impersonator should have to weigh what Elvis weighed to wear the suit.

Thanks again..

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:13 pm

The Greensboro suit was blue, was it not??

Tom

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:15 pm

No it was purple when I saw it at Graceland, however it does look blue most of the time because of stage lights.

FECC Team

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:17 pm

I did not know that!

Tom

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:37 pm

There is no specific law saying that all Elvis impersonators cannot be rounded up and shot en masse for the good of the rest of the world. :wink:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:03 pm

that's the owl suit--it has the owl belt. i thought it was navy on elvis on tour. ::scratches head::

and for further measure--impersonators mostly suck.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:05 pm

Weirdly enough I think it was blue but it is definitely purple now.

Wonder if it was stored improperly or that the material was different and subject to the dye going funny - or maybe it was dry cleaned incorrectly the last time it was cleaned.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:07 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:impersonators mostly suck.

MOSTLY????????????

Tom

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:09 pm

Yeah Tom, most of them suck - the rest just dribble.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:46 pm

That so called "owl" suit does sorta have a purple hue to it when you see it in person.

Hey I have this little photo book called "Memories Of Elvis" that was inside an album I bought in the late 70s and there is a definate purple jumpsuit that Elvis is wearing in one of the photos. The jumpsuit has the same design as the "Burning Love" suit... I think they call these suits the "pinwill"... but anyways the suit is very purple, I always wondered if maybe the photo was doctored, but it looks real.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:04 pm

administrator wrote:No it was purple when I saw it at Graceland, however it does look blue most of the time because of stage lights.

FECC Team

I agree...

When I viewed this jumpsuit at GraceLand, it sure looked Purple to me!

the funny thing is, it does looks Blue in the Elvis On Tour film...

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:26 pm

Steve_M wrote:There is no specific law saying that all Elvis impersonators cannot be rounded up and shot en masse for the good of the rest of the world. :wink:

I think this should be made law