Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis News Top 40 Elvis songs...no Mystery Train??

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:14 pm

Just browsing the Elvis site and.....there are NO 50s Elvis tracks in the top 25 positions of the Elvis News Top 40 Elvis songs and Mystery Train doesn't appear in the whole list!!

I know it's trivial and everyone has their own favs but I thought Mystery Train was a universal one. :?

Well

Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:41 pm

Well, it's no big surprise to me. The Seventies are favorite among Elvis fans nowadays, thank God. :D

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:11 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:09 pm

yes. i've been noticing too that more people are starting to prefer 70s elvis to 50s elvis.

for example, at the lisa marie messageboard, these totally non-elvis fans prior to liking lisa marie, when they went out and bought dvds of elvis footage and cds and such...they are nearly unanimously fans of the 70s elvis.

partially i think it's because in the 80s there was a heavy identification more with 50s fashion. and now we are pretty much ripping off the 70s and we have all these shows that really popularize the 70s. the jumpsuits don't have nearly the stigma i think they did for awhile.

and 70s elvis was definitely more contemporary. the voice and band is bigger. it matches up easier than 50s elvis to today.

though, 70s looks elvis still has a fat stigma. and 50s elvis is preferred visually somewhat. though i think the dvds of concerts and such kind of have helped somewhat make 70s elvis a little cooler because he was thin in those.

and frankly, he looked damn hot in the early 70s.

hound dog is a tired song. i think suspicious minds and kentucky rain and the like are more popular today than hound dog is.

Re: Well

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:13 pm

EP Fan wrote:Well, it's no big surprise to me. The Seventies are favorite among Elvis fans nowadays, thank God. :D

That has to be the most retarded statement on here. You can thank his Holiness all you wish but us fans of the 70's are not going to have our listening guide nor us fans of the 50's are gonna have our listening guide disrupted by what his Holiness has chosen a majority to like.

I might just go and play the hauntingly beautiful Blue Moon an extra 3 times just to spite the white bearded one.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:15 pm

I think that younger people can relate more to the actual music of 70's Elvis.

50's Elvis is old peoples music (to youngsters anyway).

60's Elvis is all about grass skirts, racing cars and helicopters. Your average fan can't relate to them.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:18 pm

But the audience pictured is the other way around. How do people of today relate whatever their age to the audience filmed watching the show they are watching ?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:20 pm

I agree that it´s strange that Mystery Train isn´t among the top 40!
I usually prefer the later stuff, partically 68-73 but some of the
SUN stuff is among his best work.
Mystery Train is definately in that category.

Regards

Lennart

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:06 pm

EP Fan wrote:Well, it's no big surprise to me. The Seventies are favorite among Elvis fans nowadays, thank God. :D

You can't put a date on good music my friend...whether it was recorded yesterday or fifty years ago..if it's good it's good and Mystery Train is a classic.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:09 am

As time rolls on .... us 50's pioneers of rock are dying off.

Those who berate the 50's .... remember that if it wasn't for us old rockers, saving our pocket money, and buying the new 78rpm the instant it came out...then you would not have the 70's Elvis to rave about.

To call Hound Dog a tired song shows an appalling ignorance of the totality of Elvis.....rather like calling George Washington a tired President.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:35 am

I wouldn't put too much stock in these polls. They are easily distorted by fans who vote multiple times. Also, many fans like myself and probably many others here have not bothered to vote. I know a lot of people whose favorite Elvis songs changes with the day.

I do know that there is a certain level of nostalgia with some younger fans as the '70s Elvis is the Elvis they remember.

I don't think it's because of any deficiency in the '50s music. I was not born in the '50s but songs like "Heartbreak Hotel", "Hound Dog" (anything but tired, a distinctly modern piece of music), "Jailhouse Rock", "Mystery Train", "Baby Let's Play House" take my breath away. Personally, I would rank "Heartbreak Hotel" as maybe the greatest record ever made.

It is a bit discouraging that some fans don't want to open up to another aesthetic though. But what are you gonna do? I know many people, not born in the '50s, who have found an appreciation for this stuff.

There's an Everly Brothers website. And one of the most frequent concert reviewers is a young girl who can't be more than 20 years old. If people hear the best 50s stuff it still speaks to them.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:21 am

A song is a song is a song.

What is relevant is any moment in time it is heard. It matters not one bit when it was recorded.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:23 am

EP Fan wrote:The Seventies are favorite among Elvis fans nowadays

Easy, Ger!

Even though many prefer the 70's Elvis, there are still plenty of 50's Elvis fans here.

Inhale deeply three times and let the last one out slowly.

Gotta keep that blood pressure down.

Think of a cool babbling brook in the forest.

There you go. Everything's ok. Nice and calm

Nice and calm.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:29 am

LOL, Rob. :lol:

Ken

Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:41 am

hound dog, it is still incredibly famous--possibly the most famous. but herein lies the problem, it's on every single compilation--and it's overplayed. on the several thousanth listen, you want to give it a break.

i love the 50s, really. i just prefer the love songs the most. though i pretty much will listen to anything he ever recorded. i will listen to the 60s, happily. even the movie songs.

but there's something big about the 70s material. i think it's a sound that has a chance of gaining new fans today that wouldn't normally gravitate to the top 10 hits from the 50s.

and i really think the stigma of the 70s elvis look is starting to become more liked. non-fans definitely still are more familiar with 50s elvis though.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Steve_M wrote:A song is a song is a song.

What is relevant is any moment in time it is heard. It matters not one bit when it was recorded.

PERFECT!

I like all the decades!

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:43 pm

Rob wrote:
EP Fan wrote:The Seventies are favorite among Elvis fans nowadays

Easy, Ger!

....[quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, really. I should have known there is
some flame-bait on here lately. Let's save our "typing" for
more serious Elvis matters, rather than phony debates over
decades, LTB and Elvis' Babe's interesting comments aside.

But as a P.S., last night I played ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS (the original LP we had) and loved it in its fake stereo glory all over again.
Put on your "virgin" ears sometimes and enjoy again the
glories of young Elvis. HOUND DOG can still blow me away
if I give it a chance. The evergreen HEARTBREAK HOTEL,
as LTB, states, indeed may
be the single song I'd take to a desert island, maybe along with
one Sun track and "Suspicious Minds," and "Polk Salad Annie"
and ...see, you can't stop!! :oops: