Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

If 70s albums go FTD?which 3?

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:43 am

I can't say that I've read any where that stated they are going to release the 1970s lower selling albums through FTD for sure,but have seen Ernst say that it is a possibility..
Lets just say that they are going to do this,and that they will start by putting them out in threes like they have done with the 60s soundtracks.....Which 3 would you like to see released first????

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:48 am

My choice is;

Elvis Now- we need some '71 out-takes
Promised Land
Today

RKS

Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:29 am

Good Times

Promised Land

He Touched Me (A Grammy-winning album desrves FTD archaeology treatment)

Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:17 am

I would like to see :

TTWII (with outtakes)

Love Letters

Good Times

All with outtakes . :lol:

Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:36 am

Raised On Rock
Today
Good Times

(and ehmmm.... all the other 70s albums)

And, we need a 70s gospel FTD release[/b]

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:45 pm

It only makes sense for FTD to re-issue seventies albums that are currently deleted from the catalogue. “TTWII” is still very much available, and has even been expanded to a 3 disc set, so there’s no point in FTD issuing the album again, and ”Promised Land” is also still part of the catalogue and was recently given the upgrade treatment to include most of the “Good Times” album, so again there is no need for an FTD release.

Of course albums like “Good Times” and “Boulevard” are still deleted titles, even though the masters are available elsewhere, but if the sole purpose of any FTD back catalogue
re-issues is to make deleted masters available again, as was the case with the film soundtracks, the only ‘70’s albums worth serious consideration are as follows:

Love Letters From Elvis (the majority of this material is available elsewhere)
Elvis Now
Elvis (1973)
Raised On Rock
Live On Stage In Memphis
Today

With the exception of the live Memphis album, an alternative to these re-releases, would be to issue the missing songs from the seventies box on a compilation album.

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:48 pm

TTWII

Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:07 pm

Elvis (1973)
Love Letters From Elvis
Elvis Now

Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:22 am

rockinrebel,
I do agree with you if they were to issue the missing songs from the seventies box on a compilation album, it would take care of the missing songs we don't have properly mastered as of yet...
But I have to say that the key word here is UPGRADE...the latest TTWII was not upgraded...it wasn't any better then the 1991 TTWII release,and certainly not done near as well as the same tracks from that album that are on the 70s Box-set..
Don't get me wrong,I do think that the live tracks from the 3 set TTWII sound fantastic,but the studio stuff sounds kind of flat to me..
And some of these albums you mentioned may be available in the states,but that doesn't mean that it stands for everywhere..
For example,I've tried to get the upgrade Promised Land cd,but it's not available..
I've even tried some of the bigger name stores(HMV) and it just simply isn't available to them..
What about "Elvis In Concert" and "MSG"..these are other albums that need an upgrade..

Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:45 am

Perhaps you should try Amazon.com to obtain a copy of the upgraded Promised Land? It sure is a fine album now it contains the complete late 1973 Stax session masters.

I could be mistaken, but I thought that cd1 of TTWII S.E. box, which contained the original 1970 album + relevant bonus tracks, was an upgrade over the previous version? At least "I've lost you" sounds better to my ears, and others as well. In fact I like the whole package material- and soundwise, though the design could have been better (I have the cardboard version...)

Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:10 pm

Personally I don't feel upgrading 70's albums such as 'NOW' or 'ELVIS 1973 (aka fool)' would do anyone any favours.

In my opinion it would make much more sense to release all the non religious, non Christmas (secular) 1971 masters on one disc. I recently put together such a disc on CDR (for my own personal use I should add) and as well as all the masters there was additional room for all the alternates officially released by BMG of the same material to date. These tracks really works well as an album and spreading the 1971 secular masters over so many LP's in the 70's really diluted the end result.

I also feel a similar approach could be made with the Stax material from 1973 - which also makes for a much better listening experience when the masters are put together in session order - though the masters would have to run over 2 discs in this instance but could be filled up with alternates.

This approach worked well with the Memphis 1969 material - the 2 CD set from BMG being among my favourite official discs to date.

Of course whether this material actually deserves to be on the main label and not FTD is open to debate - I feel packaged in this way it would make for 2 pretty strong compilations.

Just my take on things anyway.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:19 am

Yeah,i hear you Collin..
If done in the same way as the Suspicious Mind cd,the Stax recordings and Now/Fool would make for a great couple of albums..

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:49 pm

ClintReno wrote:Personally I don't feel upgrading 70's albums such as 'NOW' or 'ELVIS 1973 (aka fool)' would do anyone any favours.

In my opinion it would make much more sense to release all the non religious, non Christmas (secular) 1971 masters on one disc. I recently put together such a disc on CDR (for my own personal use I should add) and as well as all the masters there was additional room for all the alternates officially released by BMG of the same material to date. These tracks really works well as an album and spreading the 1971 secular masters over so many LP's in the 70's really diluted the end result.

I also feel a similar approach could be made with the Stax material from 1973 - which also makes for a much better listening experience when the masters are put together in session order - though the masters would have to run over 2 discs in this instance but could be filled up with alternates.

This approach worked well with the Memphis 1969 material - the 2 CD set from BMG being among my favourite official discs to date.

Of course whether this material actually deserves to be on the main label and not FTD is open to debate - I feel packaged in this way it would make for 2 pretty strong compilations.

Just my take on things anyway.

I would also prefer a single disc compilation of secular 1971 masters, and a two CD set that compiles the complete Stax recordings. I have also compiled CDR’s of this material for my own use, and I think that the songs (particularly from 1971) sound so much better when compiled in their proper context.

It will be interesting to see whether Ernst takes a different approach with the seventies material when FTD starts to cover these deleted masters. With the soundtrack recordings the straight re-issue of deleted album titles is a sensible move, as the majority of the masters included on these albums are now unavailable elsewhere. However, with the seventies albums this isn’t always the case. Tracks that originally appeared on “Love Letters”, “Now”,” Good Times”, and “Boulevard” have already been issued as bonus material on recently upgraded albums, whilst a number of additional performances from various ‘70’s albums are still available on the ‘70’s box set.

Therefore, it would probably make more sense to issue compilations from 1971 and 1973, rather than re-issue makeshift albums such as “Now” and “Fool” that compiled masters from a number of different sessions. Such releases would make a nice companion to the likes of “Tomorrow Is A Long Time”, “Suspicious Minds” and “Burning Love”, and present Elvis’ ‘70’s recordings in their correct perspective.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:37 pm

5 70's studio Albums have not been upgraded: Love Letters; Now; Fool; Raised On Rock; Today. With the exception of "This Is Our Dance" the Love Letters material is available on the 70's box, the Gospel set, and the TTWII - SE set. 3 songs from Now are currently unavailable: "Help Me Make It Through The Night"; "Early Morning Rain"; "Fools Rush In." 1 song from the Fool lp is currently unavailable: "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead." 6 songs from ROR are unavailable: "Find Out What's Happening"; "I Miss You"; "Girl Of Mine"; "If You Don't Come Back"; "Sweet Angeline"; "Three Corn Patches." 3 songs from Today are unavailable: "And I Love You So"; "Woman Without Love"; "Fairytale."
Ideally, Ernst should upgrade the ROR and Today albums with outtakes on either the BMG or the FTD label, and also compile the secular 71 songs from Now and Fool into a single cd with outtakes. But realistically, the simplest solution would be to collect all of the songs listed above onto a single cd with some outtakes and release them as an extra FTD.

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:06 pm

I think that makes perfect sense Pete. The thought of paying $30 just to get a proper mix of "This Is Our Dance" is absurd to me.

I think the '71 and Stax collections are good ideas too, and would make good listening (though I'm afraid the Stax would be spotty due to weaker material), but it still leaves the problem of other tracks like those on Today as never upgraded in any form.

The 70's is the Elvis period that inspires the most widely divergent opinions among fans as to how it should be presented. Collecting all the missing tracks on one disc, or in the album reissues Pete recommended are the only affordable solutions to this I believe. That way we can sequence them as we like and burn them onto CD-R's, that's the only that will completely satisfy me, whereas the 50's, 60's boxes (excluding Command Perf's II) and Amazing Grace were simply unqualified dreams come true for me and many fans.

Personally I'm sick of waiting for these tracks. I can't believe material like The Bullfighter Was A Lady, Wolf Call, etc. has now been properly remastered twice, where as If You Don't Come Back is available only as an alternate (which refreshed my appreciation of the master.) I'm currently making a cd-r collection of all the 70's studio & rehearsal tracks I like, but obviously the sound on great songs like Help Me Make It Through The Night and Early Morning Rain will bear a noticeable drop in sound quality. But I find listenings of the 70's box to be increasingly unsatisfying for many reasons: weak songs included (such as Life), the missing songs I like, the use of live singles that throw off the context, the jarring juxtapostions of live cuts from different years on Disc 5, and the rarities such as Froggy Went A Courtin' and Lady Madonna that, while lots of fun, do not belong in a collection of supposedly essential 70's material. So it's time I made my own version.

I will be leaving the WAV files & playlists on my computer so that when/if these missing tracks come out, I can just replace them and burn again. But in my opinion BMG is asking way too much patience from dedicated fans that have made them rich to finally make these damn things available!

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:54 pm

"Walk A Mile In My Shoes" - the essential 70's masters will always be a disappointment to me.

This was the box set I was looking foward to the most. I still remember walking into the record store and looking at the tracklisting - I was hoping I was dreaming and wanted somebody to wake me up :cry:

All of the studio material should've been included - then we wouldn't have this problem.

Rich

Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:19 pm

I bit the bullet and ended up buying the rather pricey Japanese versions of ROR and Today. But there just ain't no way in hell I'm gonna shell out the bucks and buy the Japanese Love Letters cd just to get "This Is Our Dance"! I wonder why Ernst didn't stick this tune on TTWII-SE as one of the bonus songs. It would have fit in that context.
In any event Ernst really needs to rectify this whole situation somehow!

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:02 am

Hi Pete,

Actually, I've got the Japanese version of "Love Letters", and to my ears, most all of the songs sound better than their US counterparts, and that made it worth it to me.

Since I've got it, just thought you might like to hear input on it. :)

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:25 am

Raised On Rock
Today
Now

with bonus tracks and outtakes if possible.

Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:47 pm

:?: Why re-release TTWII :?: I don't get it. There's an excellent SE on RCA/BMG? There're also definitive releases of Promised Land and Good Times.

Since Raised On Rock won't be re-released on BMG (they deleted Elvis' Gospel trilogy by deleting He Touched Me so why should they release a - sorry - b-album like Raised On Rock?) I'm for a re-release on FTD. But this must be the definitive release which means outstanding sound quality, many, MANY alternate takes and a good booklet.

I'd also like to have re-releases of TODAY and Live On Stage IN Memphis. The latter also had to be something like the definitive version: Complete concert, no overdubbs, probably bonus (other live versions of the songs performed here) and a great booklet.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:33 am

If FTD decides to release upgrades of deleted 70s albums, I would've picked:

Elvis Now
Elvis Fool
Love Letters From Elvis
Raised On Rock

Reason: These 4 albums need it most!

I would have included all the songs that SHOULD have been on them (the singles at the time), removed "Hey Jude" from Elvis Now (what were they thinking, including this one?) and added several alternate takes on each title.

Br
Kristian

Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:08 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:If FTD decides to release upgrades of deleted 70s albums, I would've picked:

Elvis Now
Elvis Fool
Love Letters From Elvis
Raised On Rock

Reason: These 4 albums need it most!

I would have included all the songs that SHOULD have been on them (the singles at the time), removed "Hey Jude" from Elvis Now (what were they thinking, including this one?) and added several alternate takes on each title.

Br
Kristian

Kristian - These are really the coolest albums from the 1970ies! I totally agree! They also have the coolest cover pictures ...

I would add "Burning Love And Hits From His Movies" and "Separate Ways" to the list above. They'd really need an re-issue either ...

FTD 70'S ALBUMS

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:10 pm

LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS w/alternates.

ELVIS NOW including ELVIS ('73) w/alternates.

RAISED ON ROCK including the single I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU, BABY/TAKE GOOD CARE OF HER. Plus alternates.

ELVIS TODAY w/alternates.

It's four, but missing!

Re: FTD 70'S ALBUMS

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:25 pm

bajo wrote:LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS w/alternates.

ELVIS NOW including ELVIS ('73) w/alternates.

RAISED ON ROCK including the single I'VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU, BABY/TAKE GOOD CARE OF HER. Plus alternates.

ELVIS TODAY w/alternates.

It's four, but missing!

Hi!

Splicing Elvis Now with Elvis Fool could be an alternative!
But it might be "odd", considering that we've always thought of these as two separate releases...

I agree that Elvis Today also need an upgrade, but since we have most of the songs on it on various box-sets, this can wait..?

Br
Kristian

Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:08 pm

These are my picks:

1) "Elvis-Today" (no doubt about it)
2) "Raised On Rock"
3) COMBO: "Elvis-Now" & "Elvis ('73)"

Rich