Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wanted! Memphis to Vegas/Vegas To Memphis FTD 7" 2CD!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:53 pm

Come on, release it now!!!! Ya heard me!

Re: Wanted! Memphis to Vegas/Vegas To Memphis FTD 7" 2C

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:56 pm

Matthew wrote:Come on, release it now!!!! Ya heard me!

I can't see it happening so soon after All Shook Up.

Jules

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:57 pm

Be nice though...packaged in the original double album gatefold with bonus tracks on each.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:09 pm

Yessssssssssss!

My favorite album of all times! Never understood why they made two LPs /CDs out of that classic album! This was an album you could be proud of even in the 80s!

There are many reasons which speak for FTD-treatment:
1. This definitly IS a classic album (see other running topic)
2. In Person alone is overdue to an upgrade (although I would like to see it on the general market)
3. In Person has a completely different approach than All Shook Up. The latter is just another (superb) live show while In Person, especially as part of the double set, is a concept album. Overdubbed by Elvis in the studio.
4. Back In Memphis deserves an upgrade as well - best add all studio masters, that did not make it on the From Elvis In Memphis CD.
5. Sadly both parts of the double-album are not up to date soundwise and are obviously not regarded as strong enough (why ever) for the general market.

For the In Person part I would add:
What'd I Say
Heartbreak Hotel
Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel
Baby What You Want Me To Do
I Got A Woman

I would not add other recorded songs, as to my understanding In Person should be (and remain) an album concentrating on the best of his old and new rocking material.

Peter

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:21 pm

Yes!
What a great album, especially In Person!
Include that fabulous version of What ´d Say from aug. 21.
The one from The legend lives on bootleg.
Man, James guitarplaying is HOT, some great licks for sure!
Elvis vocals ain´t too bad either :D

Lennart

Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:30 pm

Peter66 wrote:In Person, especially as part of the double set, is a concept album. Overdubbed by Elvis in the studio.

I didn't know Elvis had redone any of those vocals....

Lennart wrote:Include that fabulous version of What ´d Say from aug. 21.
The one from The legend lives on bootleg.

I don't know that version. I'd like a more focused live '69 version of What'd I Say though. I don't like listening to the band playing on aimlessly while Elvis has a rest. Because that song could and should have been superb - short, sharp, and brutal.

Jules

Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:00 pm

familyjules wrote:
Peter66 wrote:In Person, especially as part of the double set, is a concept album. Overdubbed by Elvis in the studio.

Hm, I can't proof it and can't remember where I have this information from (Joe Tunzi's book maybe, but I do not have it at hand). I think it mentions that Elvis made some vocal repairs (so overdubb is not the right word maybe) or was present when some repairs were made.

Peter

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:21 pm

No No No No No :!:

What we need is a box set containing ALL the August 1969 Vegas recordings. :idea:

Then we need a double classic consisting of Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis :!:

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:27 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:No No No No No :!:

What we need is a box set containing ALL the August 1969 Vegas recordings. :idea:

Then we need a double classic consisting of Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis :!:

Right on Kiwi !!!! On top of that , the recordings should be carefully re-mastered and re-mixed using DSD technology at Sony Studios and released through the main label, not FTD. :wink:

Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:36 pm

To Jules regarding What´d say

It is a VERY focused version!
A little slower than the usual 69 versions and the solo of JB is shorter than the version from aug 23.
A great version indeed and I think you will love it.

Lennart

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:49 pm

familyjules wrote:

Jules

Found it: Sessions III, page 278: Overdub sessions on Sept 26, 1969 incl vocal and guitar solo repairs on Johnny B. Goode and Runaway. Vocalist: Elvis Presley

KiwiAlan: We have the Memphis Anthology already?????? The double album was an entirely different concept in the sense of combining the old (rocking) Elvis in new form (live) with some new live - highlights and the new Elvis in a superb follow up to From Elvis In Memphis. A contemporary album spanning his whole range of artistic devellopment at the time. Looking for the future and pointing too his roots at the same time. Genius IMO.

The idea of a complete '69 live set, well yes, of course, someday we will have it in careful doses I think. But what could be a realistc thing was a 3 CD - set like this:
    CD 1: Rehearsals (some should have been recorded according to Joe Tunzi)
    CD 1 and CD 2: At least one version of every recorded song
    CD 3: A complete show

Peter

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:42 pm

Lennart wrote:To Jules regarding What´d say

It is a VERY focused version!
    A little slower than the usual 69 versions and the solo of JB is shorter than the version from aug 23.
    A great version indeed and I think you will love it.

Lennart

In that case I can't wait to hear it!!!

Jules

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:44 pm

Peter66 wrote:Found it: Sessions III, page 278: Overdub sessions on Sept 26, 1969 incl vocal and guitar solo repairs on Johnny B. Goode and Runaway. Vocalist: Elvis Presley

So Elvis went to all that trouble to mend his vocal on Runaway, and the guys who put together the remaster of On Stage went and used a different recording!!

Jules

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:54 pm

I sure wouldn't mind gettin' the double album From Memphis To Vegas/ Vegas To Memphis the way it was originally released, and with added gems on both discs! :lol:

Br
      Kristian

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:17 pm

familyjules wrote:
      Peter66 wrote:Found it: Sessions III, page 278: Overdub sessions on Sept 26, 1969 incl vocal and guitar solo repairs on Johnny B. Goode and Runaway. Vocalist: Elvis Presley

So Elvis went to all that trouble to mend his vocal on Runaway, and the guys who put together the remaster of On Stage went and used a different recording!!

Jules

Guess what Elvis might have felt, if he had heared the version of The Wonder Of You on E1.....

Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:49 pm

God, I hate that version of The Wonder Of You on E1. Good, old Saint Bendeth. Not!!!