Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What is your favorite concert photo book?

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:54 am

Mine is Sean Shaver's, The Life of Elvis Presley.

Darrell

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:16 am

My choice also, also any other books by Sean Shaver, but the Life Of Elvis really still stands out after alllllll those years!
Cheers
Simon

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:04 am

The top ten -- spanning 1954 to 1977, and all essential:

"Elvis 56" by Al Wertheimer
"Elvis - The Concert Years" by Stein Erik Skar
"Florida Close-Up" by Ger Rijff & Jan Van Gestel
"The Life of Elvis Presley" by Sean Shaver
"Elvis Presley 1956" by Marvin Israel
"Elvis '69, The Return" by Joseph A. Tunzi
"The Hottest Thing That's Cool" by Al Wertheimer & Ger Rijff
"Elvis: Caught In A Trap" by "Laurens Van Houten & Arjan Deelen
"Fire In The Sun" by Ger Rijff & Jan Van Gestel
"Elvis '70, Bringing Him Back" by Joseph A. Tunzi

1969-1977

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:27 am

I've got two favorites:

1. Textual (Skar's - "The Concert Years").
2. Photographic (Shaver's - "The Life of...).

Both are must owns for any 70's Elvis fan. If Skar's text was combined with Shaver's photographic content, it would be the most definitive 70's concert publication ever created.

N8
...just a fan....

The "Elvis Book" series

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:27 pm

For my money you can't beat Sean Shaver's "Elvis Book" series. I think the "Life Of..." is great too if perhaps a bit overrated. Volumes 2 and 3 are simply the best photographic concert books ever done. My only complaint is that they are heavy, about 6 or 7 pounds each. Really, anything Shaver has done is worth going out of your way to find.

Elvis Book II

Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:11 pm

Hi, I just offered The Elvis Book Vol. II for sale the other day here, but there were no takers!
Sean Shaver really was the best, too bad he's so elusive, you can't reach the man by any means.
Cheers
Simon

Shaver's Books ...........

Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:28 am

"For my money you can't beat Sean Shaver's "Elvis Book" series."

I rank the "Series" his best works alongside "The Life of...". I disagree about "Life of..." being over-rated ................. I've had it ever since it was first published in 1979 or so and it is my all-time favorite book (I return to again and again).

The "Series" books may not be for everyone for two reasons:

1. Price
2. If you are not a big 70's Elvis fan (especially of Elvis' last few years).

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Simon - I wouldn't sell any of my Shaver books, ....... but if I had an extra copy of any, I wouldn't part with it for anything less than I paid for it either. Shaver's books not only hold their value, but increase with time.

Regarding Shaver, .... I wonder where that website of his is that was supposed to be up "soon"?!? Just kidding, ............... lol ........... if anybody knows Shaver, they'll know what I mean. All in due time .........

N8
...just a fan....

Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:11 am

I do not have all of the above mentioned books to compare with this one, but I am surprised there has been no mention here of Keith Alverson's ON STAGE.

Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:20 am

Bobby - No comparisons are possible. Alverson's "On Stage" is a decent book, but Shaver's are much better (in terms of quality, content, & photography).

There isn't anything better than Shaver's works.

N8
...just a fan....

Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:15 pm

I'm getting that impression! Thanks, N8.

N8

Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:03 pm

Hi N8, yeah I have a spare copy that''s why I advertized with it.
The Life Of Elvis made such a big impact at the time, I remember getting my copy and for days just gazed at it in wonderment. Ther was such an avalanche of beautiful seventies shots, you just couldn't believe it. We looked at it(and still do) like the 'Elvis Bible' for seventies fans, not trying to be sacrilicious or anything but that was and still is the book.
Greetings
Simon

Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:29 pm

There are some phenomenal Elvis in concert photos that's for sure - spread over many many books.

I don't have 'The Life Of Elvis' book yet, but going on the Shaver books I do have I imagine it is every bit as impressive as several of you have said.

I enjoy photo books that focus on specific tours, seasons or shows quite a bit - books like 'Elvis 69 The Return', 'Florida Close Up' etc etc offer a fascinating insight into specific moments in history, although of course I also enjoy the random photo collection 'in concert' books too.

N880EP quite rightly says IMO that the Skar book is highly recommended for it's textual content more so than the photo content given the vast amount of photo books that are out there.