Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Should I or Not???

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:23 am

I was out in my garage earlier this evening and came across many of my old Elvis VHS tapes, cassettes, etc etc...

most of the stuff I already have on DVD and Cd now, so I guess, I really don't need all the repetition jus collecting dust and spiderwebs...

right or wrong?

should it stay? or should it go?

personally, I hate ditchin' any thing Elvis, (even duplicates) but I gotta make sum room out in the garage cuz I'm gonna start remodeling soon and I'm jus runnin' out of space to do so...

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:26 am

I haven't watched anything VHS in ages. I've transferred everything to DVD that is previously unreleased digitally.

I only have a few audience recordings on cassette tape in my concert collection and that's because they are not available on CD (yet).

So, I say get rid of 'em. Times, they are a changin'.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:33 am

No way! I have to keep it all, everything I have collected. Unless the material is just destroyed or something. I still have my original 8-tracks and refuse to toss them. I have lots of ratty old albums, that have been replaced on CD... No Way! Unless you are just really REALLY strapped on space or something... but still... NO WAY! lol

You'll regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:34 am

Rob wrote:I haven't watched anything VHS in ages. I've transferred everything to DVD that is previously unreleased digitally.

I only have a few audience recordings on cassette tape in my concert collection and that's because they are not available on CD (yet).

So, I say get rid of 'em. Times, they are a changin'.

Hey Rob, you don't think sum of these old VHS tapes, say, the original Alternate Aloha, in shrink wrap, is collectable, do ya?

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:35 am

JEFF d wrote:No way! I have to keep it all, everything I have collected. Unless the material is just destroyed or something. I still have my original 8-tracks and refuse to toss them. I have lots of ratty old albums, that have been replaced on CD... No Way! Unless you are just really REALLY strapped on space or something... but still... NO WAY! lol

You'll regret it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

:lol: That's Kool u feel that way Jeff...

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 am

carolynlm wrote:I would be very hesitant in getting rid of anything belonging to my Elvis collection....it took me long enough to get the stuff....storage may be a problem though.

That's a great point carolynlm...

man, am I reconsidering F-A-S-T!!!
Last edited by minkahed on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 am

minkahed wrote:
JEFF d wrote:No way! I have to keep it all, everything I have collected. Unless the material is just destroyed or something. I still have my original 8-tracks and refuse to toss them. I have lots of ratty old albums, that have been replaced on CD... No Way! Unless you are just really REALLY strapped on space or something... but still... NO WAY! lol

JEFF d
Elvis fan

God... I can't even stand the thought of throwing something of Elvis... in the garbage! lol I couldn't even throw away the sacks for merchandise I got at Graceland plaza... hell even they are stashed away!

JEFF d
Elvis fan
Last edited by JEFF d on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:42 am

JEFF d wrote:
minkahed wrote:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

I know man!!!

why do u think it's been out there all these years? :lol:

I hate the idea of gettin' rid of this stuff, but it's not like I'm gonna start poppin' in VCR tapes again, right?

or start playing cassettes???

well...maybe...I dunno know...

H-E-L-P!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:48 am

Well if anything... if you HAVE to get rid of the tapes and such... maybe check with your local library to see if they still have VHS tapes, if they do donate it to them... and maybe some kid will get to see them, and you have helped made a new Elvis fan in the process. :)

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:04 am

When I said get rid of 'em, I didn't mean in the garbage!

There are always fans who are just starting out and would love to have them.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

That didn't sound the way I wanted it to.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:28 pm

I've still got all my old records, mostly in doubles, and couldn't part with them, or at least will always keep one copy.
I might be a bit more prone to moving on old videos when I replace them all.
But then I'm a real hoarder!.
rick

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:35 pm

JEFF d wrote:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

I second that!

Don't throw or give away anything (unless it's duplicates), cause eventually you will regret it!!!

I speak from experience... :?

Br
Kristian

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:38 pm

I say get rid of them. I've just put my VHS collection on ebay as i'm moving house soon and i don't want to shift a big box full of videos that i never watch (again).

Sometimes you have to be harsh. I'd rather sell them to someone who will watch them rather than have them sitting in my cupboard doing nothing. I'm gonna give to a charity shop if they don't sell on ebay.

Andrew

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:39 pm

That´s too difficult but I can´t toss my good old VHS....I don´t watch them anymore but it gives me a pain in my heart just to think in this possibility :shock:

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:44 pm

renanagulled wrote:That´s too difficult but I can´t toss my good old VHS....I don´t watch them anymore but it gives me a pain in my heart just to think in this possibility :shock:

Exactly.

Should we all throw away our old LPs and singles, just because we've got the material on cd instead?

No way!

We may not watch VHS tapes that much any longer, but nostalgia should be preserved!

Knowing that I spent all those years collecting Elvis videos, it sure wouldn't make me feel right - even the thought of it - to "get rid of them"!

Br
Kristian

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:45 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:
renanagulled wrote:That´s too difficult but I can´t toss my good old VHS....I don´t watch them anymore but it gives me a pain in my heart just to think in this possibility :shock:

Exactly.

Should we all throw away our old LPs and singles, just because we've got the material on cd instead?

No way!

We may not watch VHS tapes that much any longer, but nostalgia should be preserved!

Knowing that I spent all those years collecting Elvis videos, sure wouldn't make me feel right - even the thought - to "get rid of them"!

Br
Kristian

BINGO!!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:42 pm

carolynlm wrote:Female Logic at it's best......

There is always a first for everthing ... still waiting tho.

Check the tapes/videos to make sure you have them in better sound/pic...and those you have doubles off,give to a young fan or bin it...don"t see why you would keep something that you have in better Q on cd/dvd.

Just a view.

Speaking of which...

Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:46 pm

I have about 100 bootlegs on cassette that I haven't listened to in ages. I would love to donate them to someone who would want them. There is stuff from the 50's all the way up to Indy 6/26/77. The overwhelming majority are concerts from the 70's. I will pack them up and ship them anywhere in the world to the first person who contacts me. Like I said, they are cassette tapes and most don't have any special covers. If you want them, let me know. They are for whoever wants them.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:21 pm

That's nice of you, John. Keep up the great work!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:43 pm

If you guys have any books, videos, cassettes, DVD's or whatever that you are thinking about tossing, please call your local retirement community (old folks home) and ask if they might want it. I donate all my old stuff to them as they don't get that many donations. Also, don't forget Goodwill, children's homes, and other charities.
DON'T TOSS IT, DONATE IT!!!!!!!

Tom

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:46 pm

Heck, I still play videos, and I bet plenty other folks here do too.

Jules