Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Japanese Paper Sleeve CDs

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:13 pm

I think all the main threads regarding these were lost soo...

...which ones offer improvements in quality - is there a complete list of them....were there any notable ommisions from the series?

Thanks

Matt

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:47 pm

I got the paper-sleeve version from Elvis In Concert. The soundquality is slightly better. The tracklist is the same.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:27 pm

Of the live "Paper Sleeve" releases, 'Madison Square Gardens' and 'Elvis In Concert' stand out to me as having a vast improvement in sound

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 pm

Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite is absolutely revealing. The whole concert had been carefully remixed and remasterd and is absolutely preferable to both the original mix and the one made by Dennis Ferrante in 1998 for the 25th anniversary edition which IMO was yet another disappointment. Also, this version finally made it pretty obvious that there are major damages on the original multi-track-tapes made during the recording of the original concert. I had never heard it before but after this one you'll hear it on every other release. Great release, beautiful artwork.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:00 pm

the paper sleeve aloha is a 24 bit transfer of the 90's poor sounding cd, slightly remastered in terms of volume.

japs CAN'T remix the original tapes, they don't have acces to them

THE ABSOLUTELY must have better sounding paper sleeve is the 57 xmas album

I enjoy other just because they feature the original album mix. For example gold records 4 is taken from an usa original album, like his hand in mine, gi blues or golden records 3.... some others, specially the 20 bit cds (not paper sleeve), are taken from the 90's usa cds (today, raised on rock...).

most jap cds gave the FLASE first impression that they sound better BECAUSE they sound much louder.

The ultimate goal would have been to release all titles in this format. Imagine girls, roustabout,....

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:08 pm

frus75 wrote:the paper sleeve aloha is a 24 bit transfer of the 90's poor sounding cd, slightly remastered in terms of volume.

No way. Sorry, but your wrong here. Listen again, please. The mix is totally different from the original mix that can be found on the original CD issue from the 80ies and early 90ies. The most certainly had multitrack sources to remix this one from.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:17 pm

now you made me curious about that, see see rider...

I gave it a listen not that long time ago, and it's not the 98 mix for sure

pal, could it be taken from the quadraphonic mix? correct me if I am wrong, but the jap cd is not the complete concert (as the 98 version is), and I mean in terms of bits of dialogue missin as in original album.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:32 pm

frus75 wrote:now you made me curious about that, see see rider...

I gave it a listen not that long time ago, and it's not the 98 mix for sure

pal, could it be taken from the quadraphonic mix?

Could be. To be honest I don't know the quadrophonic mix. But what is absolutely unusual for any RCA-mix prior to this is the fact that every intrument is in the right place. Something absolutely unimaginable for a Ferrante-mix who usually does everything with his mixes but put the instruments in the right position on that soundstage.

Different from the original mix (I'm not talking about the 1998 remix here) the sequence when Elvis gives away his belt after "Trilogy" can be heard in its entirety here. Also, the closing theme is running about 20 seconds longer.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:32 pm

Raised on rock,Elvis(fool) and love letters from elvis sounds a lot better than any other editions that I have heard.
They are only 20bit editions but still much better.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:33 pm

E4E wrote:Raised on rock,Elvis(fool) and love letters from elvis sounds a lot better than any other editions that I have heard.

Raised On Rock is a total revelation. I would go so far and say that it's a different album. Everybody who hasn't heard it yet, go and get it.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:53 pm

raised and rock is a must, as for me is the complete singles box set

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:05 pm

frus75 wrote:raised and rock is a must, as for me is the complete singles box set

Talking about the Japanese editions being mastered much louder: The "Complete Singles" boxset (which I simply love for its completeness) is totally overcompressed and raised way up above 0 dBFS. Check it out.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:06 pm

yes, but ain't it beautiful friend? I just love it.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:10 pm

frus75 wrote:yes, but ain't it beautiful friend? I just love it.

Yeah, me too ... Image

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:05 am

see-see-rider wrote:
frus75 wrote:raised and rock is a must, as for me is the complete singles box set

Talking about the Japanese editions being mastered much louder: The "Complete Singles" boxset (which I simply love for its completeness) is totally overcompressed and raised way up above 0 dBFS. Check it out.

Sorry, that's not "overcompressed" but "hard-limited", and really only in a few instances. In addition, each and every track has been re-EQ'd for better sound, something which BMG never bothered to do. I have to agree, the production values of this set are simply incredible...

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:02 pm

see-see-rider wrote:
E4E wrote:Raised on rock,Elvis(fool) and love letters from elvis sounds a lot better than any other editions that I have heard.

Raised On Rock is a total revelation. I would go so far and say that it's a different album. Everybody who hasn't heard it yet, go and get it.

I totally agree. I never liked Raised On Rock, untill I purchased the Japanese edition. What a difference. Great. Sensational.

Also very much better than the official release: First part of Elvis In Concert; but not that big difference than on ROR.

Peter

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:03 pm

Well, I'm blown away! I never realized the Japanese paper sleeve was a different mix. Its far and away a much better and beefier mix than the original Dick Baxter mix. I did notice though, some kind of glitch on Welcome To My World where it sounded like the tape slipping briefly.

I briefly compared the 3 Aloha cd's last night. The Baxter mix, The Japanese paper sleeve mix, and the Ferrante mix. Yes they are all different. Nice to have.

It would be nice to know from Ernst or someone in the know, how this unique Japanese paper sleeve mix came about and who did it.

It should be documented. Ernst & Tunzi do not make any mentions of this in their books.

Are they any more new mixes out there on those Japanese paper sleeves?

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:09 pm

Do these paper sleeve CDs cost loads or are they available for regular CD prices?

Is there one of the Madison Square Garden evening show?

Jules

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:59 pm

Does anyone know why certain albums weren't given the paper sleeve treatment or indeed the 20bit jewel case treatment?

Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:43 pm

the paper sleeve have been or are just going to be re released. I just purchased 5 titles for 19 dollars each from a japan ebay dealer.

and he told me there is also an october BMG campaign about those paper sleeves, some kind of a contest, where you send 10 coupons or something like that

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:05 pm

Just gave some of the paper sleeve editions another spin........they are all better than any other releases.From elvis in memphis is awsome.Even elvis is back is better than the FTD edition released a few months ago.....although the difference isnt as big here.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:24 pm

Tempting, very tempting. Does anyone have a list of the 20 bit CDs that were released around the same time?

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:40 am

Here's a list of the Japanese original first pressing Elvis mini lp CD's and the catalogue numbers:

BVCM-37083 Elvis Presley (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37084 Elvis (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37085 Elvis' Christmas Album (1957) (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37086 Elvis' Golden Records (Vol.1) (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37087 Elvis' Gold Records, Vol.2 (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37088 Elvis Is Back! (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37089 G.I.Blues (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37090 His Hand In Mine (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37091 Blue Hawaii (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37092 How Great Thou Art (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37093 Elvis TV Special (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37094 From Elvis In Memphis (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37095 That's The Way It Is (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37096 On Stage, Feb.1970 (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37097 Elvis Country (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37098 He Touched Me (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37099 Aloha From Hawaii (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37100 Live In Memphis (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37101 The Sun Sessions (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37102 Moody Blue (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37186 LOVING YOU (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37187 KING CREOLE (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37188 FOR LP FANS ONLY (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37189 A DATE WITH ELVIS (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37190 ELVIS' GOLDEN RECORDS, VOLUME 3 (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37191 ELVIS' GOLD RECORDS, VOLUME 4 (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37192 ELVIS IN PERSON AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37193 BACK IN MEMPHIS (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37194 ELVIS AS RECORDED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37195 ELVIS IN CONCERT (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)

They are all being re-released in Japan. The first batch of 15 is out now.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:43 am

Here are the 20 bit re-masters from around the same time in Japan.

BVCP-7365 ELVIS-THAT'S THE WAY IT IS (20bit Remastered)
BVCP-7366 ON STAGE, FEBRUARY 1970 (20bit Remastered)
BVCP-7367 ELVIS IN PERSON AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL (20bit Remastered)
BVCP-7368 ELVIS AS RECORDED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (20bit Remastered)
BVCP-7369 BLUE HAWAII (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35029 FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35030 BACK IN MEMPHIS (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35031 LOVE LETTERS FROM ELVIS (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35032 ELVIS NOW (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35033 ELVIS (Fool) (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35034 RAISED ON ROCK (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35035 GOOD TIMES (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35036 PROMISED LAND (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35037 ELVIS TODAY (20bit Remastered)
BVCM-35038 FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BOULEVARD,MEMPHIS,TENNESSEE (20bit Remastered)

Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:40 am

elbo51 wrote:Here's a list of the Japanese original first pressing Elvis mini lp CD's and the catalogue numbers:

BVCM-37083 Elvis Presley (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37084 Elvis (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)
BVCM-37186 Loving You (24bit Remastered - paper sleeve)

They are all being re-released in Japan. The first batch of 15 is out now.

How do these three compare to the DSD reissues released earlier this year?