Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

COLLECTOR'S GOLD. Great CD-set!

Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:23 am

I gave the Collector's Gold-set a listen last night and I am glad I have!

Although it is the first box-set out of the hands of Ernst Jorgensen, it never deserved the fame it should have.

Released in 1991 even before the 50s Masters, it has to be called a legendary release for every Elvis collector. In fact, everything that is included on this 3-cd-journey through the 60s, is pure "collector's gold"!

It was not only the first box set from Jorgensen, but the first ever box set that combined material from the 60s, and the first ever to compile 69 live material - and what kind live material! :shock:

Collector's Gold marks the new era for Elvis-fans: along with the "Essential Elvis" series just a year prior, "C'G" zoomed us into the world of outtakes, alternate masters and studio chats in an extent that every Elvis fan dreamed of during the 80s!

The content is a perfect mix of unknown or "heard of" songs like "Black Star" and "You're The Boss", alternate masters like "One Broken Heart For Sale" and "Memphis Tennessee", and never heard of live versions like "This Is The Story" or "Rubberneckin'". Together with some nice alternate takes and rockin' live versions from Las Vegas this is the perfect compilation for every fan.

CG was my first box set. I remember clearly how I stared at the commercial from my record dealer back then and how I saved my money to buy that set!

I was too young when the silver and the gold box sets came out, so CG was my beginning of that era, and I would state that COLLECTOR'S GOLD is the origin, the beginning of the Jorgensen-era, and - if you want - the birth of that generation of Elvis-fans in my age, that grew up with Jorgensen.

Today, the CG-material doesn't seem to be that sensational any more. The mix sounds pretty old (no wonder: it's from the forst days of the CD-era). But if you try to listen to it as if you were back in 1991, you'll enjoy it!

I would love to see a "CG, Vol. 2" release someday.

I admit, I would complain about the running time today, but: 45 minutes approx. is a very nice time. It's easy listening. You can sit down in your easy-chair and read the booklet and listen to the music. A running time of 74 minutes is something you quite rarely listen to from beginning to end!

The "Close Up"-set is very similar to CG although this one tries to cover the whole career. So, this one seems to be a mixture of the silver box ad CG.

In Germany, it is raining this morning. So: simply listen to CG today and your day will be made!

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:39 am

There's (once again) a great review of CG by likethebike to be found on Elvisnewsnetwork.com. Check it out.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Nice review, etp. It made me curious about this release but I guess all these performances will be released with better sound eventually (of course, many have been released already). What's the booklet like?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:43 pm

The booklet is nothing special, to be honest. It's a nice text that even tries to create some special mysteries, i.e. for example, when hey talked about the RECONSIDER BABY cut telling "we found that on a tape where another show was included, and the show was over and there was some free space and out of a sudden there was Reconsider Baby" ... yes, baby, that's the mystery train we are all riding on :twisted: but nevermind. Back in 1991 that story really caught me!

The box set as a whole is in the LP-format, all three cds have the same cover - the artwork is very simple indeed.

But: I like it somehow. It's a sure fun thing and back then it was sensational, although no one seems to appreciate it today (which will be due to the fact, that CG is hard to get today. Try you luck on ebay!)

Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:22 pm

I agree that CG box was great when released but it wasnt the first boxset with unreleased material, both EAP The silver box set and the gold box set was filled with unreleased material long before but was released on vinyl as noone had CD´s back then........

Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:39 pm

Last edited by neckywoudje on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:44 am

I can remember being thrilled about this set when I first bought it back in '92...

damn, I jus loved hearing and jammin' to the Vegas disc, awesome remaster and the remix, (I thought and still think), is one of the very best we ever got from RCA/BMG/SONY, whoever the hell...ever put out!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:54 am

etp,

I love this set. I guess we're spoilt these days. :D Cover art's crap though! (here we go again!) :wink:

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:56 am

Delboy wrote:etp,

I love this set. I guess we're spoilt these days. :D Cover art's crap though! (here we go again!) :wink:

Yeah, the amout of CD's I used to throw out coz I only wanted the cover art :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:50 am

Yeah Love Me Tonight is really a masterpiece. When I got my CG set back then, I also bought For The Asking - and didn't like the master of Love Me Tonight becaus I thought the take on CG was so much better!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:33 pm

The book was huge but the info on the recordings was/is hit and miss.

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:48 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Nice review, etp. It made me curious about this release but I guess all these performances will be released with better sound eventually (of course, many have been released already). What's the booklet like?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Just curious? :roll: C'mon, times awasting, get a copy already!

Truth be told, I was so badly burned by RCA in the '80s that by '92
I didn't even know about this one. When I saw it years later I
thought it was just a bunch of the original songs repackaged again.
I didn't even know what an "alternate" was and if I did, thought
it was repackaging.

Upon finally getting this a few years ago, I loved it!

In many ways, I like to think of it as the "first" FTD.

An updated version for improved 2005 would be welcome, no doubt.

Hollywood

G.I. Blues (1) - Pocketful Of Rainbows (22, 17) - Big Boots (10) - Black Star (Master) - Summer Kisses, Winter Tears (1, 14) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (18) - Lonely Man (4) - What A Wonderful Life (2, 1) - A Whistling Tune (4) - Beyond The Bend (2) - One Broken Heart For Sale (1) - You're The Boss (Master) - Roustabout (6) - Girl Happy (4) - So Close, Yet So Far (N/A) - Stop, Look And Listen (3) - Am I Ready (1) - How Can You Lose What You Never Had (1, 3)

Nashville

Like A Baby (1, 2) - There's Always Me (4) - I Want You With Me (1) - Gently (3) - Give Me The Right (1) - I Met Her Today (1) - Night Rider (1, 2) - Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello (1) - Ask Me (2) - Memphis Tennessee (2) - Love Me Tonight (1) - Witchcraft (1) - Come What May (6) - Love Letters (4, 7) - Going Home (24, 21)

Live In Las Vegas

Blue Suede Shoes - I Got A Woman - Heartbreak Hotel - Love Me Tender - Baby, What You Want Me To Do - Runaway - Surrender/Are You Lonesome Tonight? - Rubberneckin' - Memories - Introductions By Elvis - Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel - Inherit The Wind - This Is The Story - Mystery Train/Tiger Man - Funny How Time Slips Away - Loving You/Reconsider Baby - What'd I Say

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/collectorsgold.html

Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:46 pm

From LiketheBike's review:

"Some fans would argue that disc three is the most vital musical disc of the three. This set featured songs many fans never dreamed they would hear live including "Rubberneckin", "This is the Story" and "Inherit the Wind" all performed respectably."

I remember being most blown away to hear these versions, especially
"Rubberneckin'." For years, this was a "guilty-pleasure" Camden-track
and I never knew he did it live until finding this set.

I also recall the Doctor commenting on Elvis' tell-tale comments during
the making of "I'm Going Home" at the end of the Nashville set, some kind of foreboding comments reminding us that '68 was about to happen.

If LTB could re-write this review, I'd have him comment on this
fabulous inclusion.

(I don't have it in front of me right now.)

Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:38 pm

It's funny sometimes, you guys! There are so many CDs in my room that I rarely listen to, simply because they are "old". I haven't listened to that set in years!
Listening to it now is so exciting! There are so many golden coins on this set, but you have to discover them!

For example: many tracks from the Hollywood Sessions and the Nashville stuff is take 1, except there was another take that was more important in a way (i.e. One Brocken Heart For Sale or Going Home). The set explores the origins, and like Ernst said sometime: during the 60s sessions the evolution of the songs were captured on tape. Those sessions show you mostprecisely how Elvis and the band worked on the songs.

On CG you could listen to this for the very first time.

It is simply a great compilation of all the important subjects of Elvis' 60's career.

Great set and please don't give us an upgraded version with complressed-to-death-mastering. It's good the way it is! Perfect! It's the original sound in a tender digital master.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:30 pm

I always hear folks say anything from '91 is "bad sound."

Maybe it is alright.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:19 pm

I think the Collector's Gold set was very enjoyable, I played it a lot, but the mix of the Vegas material still makes me shake my head.

Thank goodness for the FTD "All Shook Up" for the much better mixes of Rubberneckin', et al...

Axe

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:30 am

When I got into the Essential series I noticed that the 60's kind of got skipped over...little did I know that when the 70's box set came out and I was rushing to buy it, that there was a title called Collector's Gold just sitting there waiting to be listened to in the bargain bin. I bought it one week after. The cover sure didn't give away what was inside. This was the alternate 60's that I dreamed about after hearing the fantastic Nashville To Memphis box set. If I would have only known....

This was a truly fabulous release, and to this day it remains among the best of the rarities. I look at it as the Essential Elvis that should have been sandwiched between Hits Like Never Before(Essential 3) and A Hundred Years From Now(Essential 4). If you look at the release date, that is exactly as it should be.

The series obviously turned into FTD as we know it now, but at the time this was a Godsend. Great review LTB.

Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:40 am

Collector's Gold was/is an absolutely sensational set, and I agree about it feeling like the first FTD release.

As for the sound, yes it is pretty flat & without the dynamics of today's remasters. A lot of those 1990 CDs have the same sound.

The real annoyance (while I do love the Vegas CD) is that they deliberately mixed OUT Elvis' guitar playing!

From 'At The International Review'
'Reconsider Baby', although this was released on the 'Collector's Gold' set the mix here is a revelation in comparison. It sounds so different it could almost be a different version! Elvis' guitar is back in the mix & James Burton is also highlighted ("Play something James. Put the light on him") along with Elvis' vocals shining bright.
Totally spontaneous, the band has to follow Elvis & in the process create some pure magic. While 'Collectors Gold' was a fantastic compile (buy it before it is deleted!) it still had that characteristic 1990 'muffled' CD sound which is also apparent when you compare the 2 versions of this night's 'What'd I Say'.
Every instrument is beautifully placed. James Burton's and John Wilkinson's guitars are nicely separated while Larry Muhoberac's piano (disgracefully mixed down in the LILV show) and the rhythm section are all just right. The orchestra, horns & backing vocals are mixed perfectly with the band and Elvis' vocal really shines above it all, and just the right amount of reverb to make you feel like you were in the Showroom.'

'All Shook Up' is good but 'At The International' is fantastic!

I don't really blame them for the overall sound of Collector's Gold (other CDs of the time are the same) - but as for removing Elvis' guitar from the mix, now that is ridiculous!

Same poorish audio-quality applies to the other CDs too

ie. From much better Studio B Nashville Outtakes '61-64:
'Memphis Tennessee' Tk.1 - In 1964 Elvis recorded only 3 non-soundtrack songs and two of these were attempts to improve on his May '63 versions of 'Memphis Tennessee' & 'Ask Me'. The fabulous 'jungle version' from 1963 is found on 'Collector's Gold' but again it has that disappointing muffled sock mix! This recording is another highlight with a great sound and the band playing rough & ready rock n' roll. This is at a faster tempo form the earlier versions and you can really hear the ambience of Studio B. Another delight is that the band keep on playing even past when Elvis calls out "That's all". Another Take 1 gem!

Cheers
Piers

collectors gold on vinyl

Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:07 pm

I was lucky to find it on vinyl.Love that vinyl!!!
joe krein
http://www.elvis2001.net

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:17 am

I was 14 whe I got this set. I saw this in a music store in October 1991 and flipper over it. My grandparents bought it for me for Christmas. It was a great set to have when it first came, especially for the 1969 live material, Girl Happy at the right speed and the movie version of One Broken Heart.