Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

memphis recording service cd

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:52 am

anyone know the tracks and release date for this yet?
also anyone know anything about ernst's sun book cds yet?

Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:29 am

reply please.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:38 pm

Seems it's going to have an 11 track DVD-A (both sides of the 1953 acetate, the six 1954 issued Sun sides, the two live October 1954 Hayride songs and a "Lucky Strike" advert from the Louisiana Hayride too) coupled with a book and a one-sided vinyl 45 of "That's All Right" taken from the metal plate http://www.memphisrecordingservice.com/discovery.htm

Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:44 pm

More money well spent then?.

As we head for our umpteen xmas,this set still has to see the light of day,never mind a date or year?.

memphis recording service

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:05 pm

Sounds a bit thin doesnt it? Elvis promoting Lucky Strike...mumbling? Singing? Nice. But how long does it last? 30 sec, 40 sec? After all the hoopla in the last so many months reg this release it looks like sales now depend largely on the photobook and the new all revealing facts promised to us by the people behind this project. I feel a downer coming up... Hope Im wrong. Honest!

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:18 pm

On the 16 Oct '54 Hayride tape, just prior to Elvis, Scotty & Bill being introduced, is a "Lucky Strike" ad read by the announcer. Elvis was appearing in a "guest spot" sponsored by that cigarette company. This is likely what's going to be on this escape, uh, release.

DJC

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:26 pm

That makes sense. And it is interesting to note that this was the first part of the broadcast. Listen as annoucer mentions that Elvis will be back later in the show. I am not from the south, nor was I around when the hayride show was broadcast, but I assume that this show was 2 hours and they basically did the show twice in the night?? So in the second hour elvis would come out and just do "that's all right" and "blue moon of Kenticky" again for those joining the show later in the night. Am I even close on this??

Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:On the 16 Oct '54 Hayride tape, just prior to Elvis, Scotty & Bill being introduced, is a "Lucky Strike" ad read by the announcer. Elvis was appearing in a "guest spot" sponsored by that cigarette company. This is likely what's going to be on this escape, uh, release.

DJC

Yes, I'll bet. But what was that ad Elvis did on the Hayride ? The Southern Doughnut one ? That's out there somewhere and it is from ..... a november 54 Hayride show ?
I found a link last year about the info being right about it being 54, you recall doc ?

This has to come out this year on one of the Sunsets. Don't it ? I mean Doughnut ? :lol:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:07 am

This must exist somewhere on VHS Videotape :shock: :wink:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 am

I think the Lucky Strike featured guest was announced and as such that Elvis would be back later on, to do the songs he went on to do. I don't think it was necessarily true that he sung them at the same time with the announcement of who the Lucky Strike act would be that night.

I'm just guessing, I have no idea. :cry:

Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:31 am

Ekenee and Steve, you are both correct. I can't recall which Nov '54 Hayride appearance is the one where Elvis does the "Southern Maid Donut" commercial, but it was apparently that month.

DJC

Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:31 am

davepenny wrote:Seems it's going to have an 11 track DVD-A (both sides of the 1953 acetate, the six 1954 issued Sun sides, the two live October 1954 Hayride songs and a "Lucky Strike" advert from the Louisiana Hayride too) coupled with a book and a one-sided vinyl 45 of "That's All Right" taken from the metal plate http://www.memphisrecordingservice.com/discovery.htm

And this is it???

This is what the fuzz has been all about???

Br
Kristian

Southern Maid Donuts

Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 pm

Y'all may know this, but when Joey Kent (present owner of the Louisiana Hayride archives) was interviewed, he gave the following information about the Southern Maid Donut advert (mistakenly - and correctly :twisted: - transcribed as "Southern MADE DOUGHnuts"):-

"I do not have the second appearance of Elvis Scotty and bill from November the 6th. I have no reason to believe that a tape exists from that evening. That would be the night that the famous Southern Made Doughnut commercial was done by Elvis and I think what probably happened there was Scotty or somebody like that may have mentioned in an interview or Elvis may have mentioned in an interview that he did later that the only time he did a commercial was on that particular night. So that's probably where the whole story started about the Southern Made Doughnut commercial and the recording, then again it may exist, I believe Serif Hannah or somebody like that told me that they had actually heard the recording of the Southern Made Doughnut commercial.
I will go ahead and talk about the doughnut commercial at this time, I have a recording of Johnny Cash doing a Southern Made Doughnut commercial and you have to understand this was not something like a modern commercial where they come out and pitch a particular product, Elvis did not walk out on stage holding a box of doughnuts and start doing a scripted commercial. What happened with Southern Made Doughnuts, they were a long time sponsor of the Louisiana Hayride and they would supply the announcers of the show with boxes of fresh hot doughnuts from the Southern Made Doughnuts shop just down the street from the Hayride and the announcers would walk out on stage, Frank Page told me this and announcer Norm Bale told me as well, that they would open up the box and start eating doughnuts in front of the audience and you could see the steam coming off them and everybody would get hungry and want to have some Southern Made Doughnuts. In the case of the Johnny Cash commercial Frank and Norm were talking about Southern Made Doughnuts and they would just look over at the next act that was setting on stage and getting ready to sing, in this case they said Johnny Cash knows about Southern Made Doughnuts don't you Johnny? And he stepped up to the microphone and said "Yeah man, there the best in the world, you just dunk 'em and slurp 'em, man they're fine, I think they're just the best".
And this was something like this commercial that Elvis would have done. He would have been on stage already, either probably between songs or just about to start a song and the announcer started talking about the doughnuts and just basically asked Elvis for his opinion and he would have said something like yes you know I love Southern Made Doughnuts - I eat them all the time and that would have been the extent of the commercial, because as you'll notice in Elvis' later career he never did a commercial endorsement. He didn't really believe in that so this is how he ended up doing the Southern Made commercial, it just sort off happened around him and it was his second night on the Louisiana Hayride, he'd been there October the 16th and came back and November the 6th was the night he was actually made a member of the Hayride so he was already nervous and excited and I'm sure just went with the flow of the evening."

Amazingly, half a century later, the company is still in existence http://www.southernmaiddonuts.com/

Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:37 pm

So the whole legend of him singing, "you can gettem' piping hot....." is a myth? I have read that certain Elvis fans have heard this commercial so I still have hope that Elvis is singing the jingle.

Re: Southern Maid Donuts

Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46 pm

Thanks Dave, but Joeys comments at the beginnig are curious, I've highlighted what appears to be a contradiction.

I do not have the second appearance of Elvis Scotty and bill from November the 6th. I have no reason to believe that a tape exists from that evening. That would be the night that the famous Southern Made Doughnut commercial was done by Elvis and I think what probably happened there was Scotty or somebody like that may have mentioned in an interview or Elvis may have mentioned in an interview that he did later that the only time he did a commercial was on that particular night. So that's probably where the whole story started about the Southern Made Doughnut commercial and the recording, then again it may exist, I believe Serif Hannah or somebody like that told me that they had actually heard the recording of the Southern Made Doughnut commercial.

Okay, so it isn't a total contradiction, but this has been heard by collectors and I swear I've heard it in the past somewhere.
Joey isn't so much an Elvis fan as he is a person who has his mind conditioned to the whole history of the Hayride. The "Serif Hannah or somebody like that" quote makes me smile, you'd think you'd remember who that was who told you such a piece of info, well we would because we focus on Elvis more so than Joey.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:34 am

will we ever get the jan 1955 acetates at the correct speed they drive me crazy playing at the wrong speeds.
the set to look forward to is ernst's set and book.

Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:47 am

They will be at the right speed (and pitch) Tommy! And in the best possible sound

Don't you know who's mastering Ernst's box set? 8)

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:32 pm

According to the latest Essential Elvis magazine:

<b>Now Due Early September.</b>