Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:49 pm

Glad to see so many people have ideas about this :D
As said before, the 80's were dominated by typical 80's pop en electronical music. Country went sorta underground and was only loved by die-hard country fans. Rock in a way too. Later there were several crossovers in all genres.
Artists like Tom Jones, Neil Diamond and more like those stayed populair and well known but they didn't have a hit in the charts. On the separate charts like the country charts they did have succes.
I believe that's how I would have gone with Elvis. Although Moody Blue and Way Down were maybe an emergence of the new Elvis. If he would have kept on performing in Vegas, his shows would still be a sellout. The fans would have stayed loyal to him. Just look at Frank Sinatra, later on a old dude but always selled out the places he performed.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:26 pm

Elvis was just Elvis. While the formats of radio stations changed, he didn't really change, and wouldn't have. There would have always been stations that would air his type of music.

Suspicious Minds has been described as a song that had no label, it wasn't pop, country, or rock but rather a very distinct sound and that's why it was so successful in the midst of the 60's 70's sounds.

And that's why it still sounds great.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:38 pm

Some people are oversimplifying. While the charts were dominated by pop stars, lets not forget the hair bands. There were alot of styles of music and Elvis would not have been happy getting lost. There were many stars that survived. Elvis would have no doubt stayed country because that was where his success was. Though him crossing over is not unrealistic either.

A sad parody of himself huh. MY WAY, Way Down, Moody Blue. Those songs were still very much in the running. Promised Land and T-R-O-U-B-L-E are also other such examples. How many freakin' hits does one artist need? If he had a hit every couple of years, it is that much longer that it would take for Elvis to be forgotten. In the country world I absolutely refuse to believe that he would fall. One thing I have to give that branch of music....they are loyal!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:50 am

genesim wrote:
A sad parody of himself huh. MY WAY, Way Down, Moody Blue. Those songs were still very much in the running. Promised Land and T-R-O-U-B-L-E are also other such examples. How many freakin' hits does one artist need? If he had a hit every couple of years, it is that much longer that it would take for Elvis to be forgotten. In the country world I absolutely refuse to believe that he would fall. One thing I have to give that branch of music....they are loyal!

Sadly, T-R-O-U-B-L-E was not the hit it should have been. It crapped out at #33 due to poor radio airplay. This was a great song and performance that should have gotten him back into the top ten. As Roy Carr and Mick Farren noted in their Elvis disography book. if the American public didn't recognize such a classic. then they didn't deserve better.

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:06 am

Mike C wrote:
genesim wrote:

Sadly, T-R-O-U-B-L-E was not the hit it should have been. It crapped out at #33 due to poor radio airplay. This was a great song and performance that should have gotten him back into the top ten. As Roy Carr and Mick Farren noted in their Elvis disography book. if the American public didn't recognize such a classic. then they didn't deserve better.

Oh my God Mike, I was jus gonna start a thread about that tune!!!

I will share my story here. this afternoon, my wife, my sister in law and brother in law were out getting sumthin' to eat and I had my Elvis TODAY still playing in the CRV. my brother in law says, "Turn it up". so, I do jus that.

I couldn't believe, here we were, the 4 of us jammin' to this disc. My sister in law was like, "Wow, this stuff is real good, how come I never heard of this Elvis music before?"

My brother in law said, "Wow, I thought T-R-O-U-B-L-E was a Travis Tritt song...This is Elvis' song? damn, Elvis does it better!"

what a damn shame BMG/SONY/RCA don't get the ball runnin' and release this stuff on the main label. it's a crying shame that noone but us (Elvis fans) hear this great forgotten, underrated music.

And another mystery that I can't figure out is how such a great ROCKIN' tune like T-R-O-U-B-L-E could stall at #35 on the charts, when a song like MY BOY reaches #20!?

Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:01 am

I would very much liked to have seen Led Zeppelin's offer to write, play on, and produce a project with Elvis come to fruition. I also would have liked to see him do some good films. I think he would have done a great job with Robert Redford's role in "Brubaker", for example.

This, of course, would be hinging on wether or not he cleaned up his act.

I think the real shame is that Elvis didn't have a good self-image and didn't know how good he was. If he did, the Col would have been gone right after trying to get 50%, if not sooner.

Axe