Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New boot CD "Not Too Sweet"

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:16 pm

In the Import News section, there's news about a CD called "Not Too Sweet" which is supposed to be released very soon. Me, I welcome every new live show, so I'll buy this one for sure. It's released by the same guys that put out "Tryin' To Get To Memphis".

Whato do you think, guys? I know it's just an AR but, hey, at least it's a new show and I like the fact that "Walk That Lonesome Road" is included. I have never heard that song, and because it's not sung by Elvis, I guess it won't be released offically.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Keith -

To be honest, I've reached the stage when another audience recording doesn't get me excited at all.

Even soundboards or multi-tracks need something rare on them [or come from an unusual date] to raise any interest.

How many times can you listen to 'I Got A Woman/Amen' ?

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:48 pm

I hope the sound quality is good.. Curious about it..

Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:58 pm

ColinB:

I can see where you're coming from. However, I haven't been collecting EP shows that long - I guess I have something like 25 shows. So it's still new and exciting to me. Also, I try not to listen to my live CDs too often!

I have never heard anything from late 1972 and the packaging (which is very important in my opinion) for this CD seems to be top-notch. So I'll get the damn thing.

While a CD like "El Goes El Paso" doesn't really add something to EP's musical legacy, it's still a CD I wouldn't want to part with. There's something truly special about Elvis in '70s which makes it all so fascinating, even when the shows are dull and the sound quality even worse. It's like N880EP (where did he go?) used to say: "It's about the music... & so much more."

I'm rambling. Back to work!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:13 pm

Normally i would skip audience recordings, but realizing now, we wont see every concert from soundboard-multi/track or reel to reel in the future or during your lifetime. After all, at least thats the way i see it, a hard-core collector must have as many as possible concerts. No matter the quality. Now im try to catch up what has been released in the past. And i must say, great sounding audience recording has been released.

The first release from SR Records was very good.(sounquality) The forthcoming looks promising.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:23 pm

If it´s a new unreleased concert, that´s a good point! Keith, have you any idea about the sound quality ?

Best Regards
Marco Aurelio

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:44 pm

Nope, Marco, all I know is what's written in the news section. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Keith Richards, Jr.

new boot cd

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:33 am

Not so sweet ? Bunch of wankers you are ! Ripping an exclusive photo from my book Steamrolling over Texas [ 1997 ] taken by Ron G McCoy at the Convention Center, Fort Worth, 1972. [photo color section ] You can forward the 100 dollars for one time publishing rights to me. You know my address... You creeps !

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:35 am

The nerve of them!

Not sure they're on here though.

By the way.........what's a wanker?

Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:46 am

Hey Ger, is that book of yours, "Steamrolling Over Texas", still for sale (for a reasonable price) anywhere? Seems to be a great book but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Like I've said before, I hope you will produce a new '70s photo book someday.

Keith Richards, Jr.

new boot cd

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:02 am

Hiya, Keith. No, sorry, I have zero copies in stock on any of my Elvis books. But thanks for showing interest !

Re: new boot cd

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:03 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Not so sweet ? Bunch of wankers you are ! Ripping an exclusive photo from my book Steamrolling over Texas [ 1997 ] taken by Ron G McCoy at the Convention Center, Fort Worth, 1972. [photo color section ] You can forward the 100 dollars for one time publishing rights to me. You know my address... You creeps !

Do you really think the producers thought , ''Hey, we have to pay Mr. Rijff for the photo?''

Get you hair out of your eyes, dude. In my believe ''bootleggers'' dont pay s**t for copyright.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:01 pm

I, too, fail to get excited about this CD. I won’t be getting it. Tracklist is almost identical to King of the Neon Jungle from Memory Records, a great audience recording.

Las Vegas, Sept. 3 1972 (M.S)

Also Sprach Zarathustra
See See Rider
Johnny B. Goode
Until It's Time For You To Go
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
Polk Salad Annie
What Now My Love
Fever
Love Me
Blue Suede Shoes
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
Love Me Tender
Walk That Lonesome Road (The Stamps)
Suspicious Minds
Band Introductions
My Way
A Big Hunk O'Love
You Gave Me A Mountain
Mystery Train/Tiger Man
Can't Help Falling In Love

Ken

new boot cd

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:10 pm

3577: if I had hair hanging over my eyes they wouldnt call me TALLhair, dude !

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:32 am

This CD is out now and I'm fixin' to get myself a copy. I'd like to hear some opinions on the sound and the artwork. Thank you.

Speaking of import CDs, what happened to the next Fort Baxter release? Is that one still in the pipeline? I sure hope so!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:45 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff,

Right on and well said... you might like to know that one of your photos is used in the booklet of the Leg Perf Vol 6 CD too !

new boot

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:42 pm

Yep, but their agent paid in hard cash for that photo!

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:48 pm

Really great show but the sound is only reasonable, even for a AR...

Not Too Sweet

Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:42 am

Is this title based on any dialogue in the show? It has to be the gay-est title ever given to a cd...

Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:21 am

i still like studio sessions over audience recordings and fall 1974 concerts.

new boot

Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:12 am

Only reasonable sound, even for an AR?! So besides stealing my photograph for use on the front of this cd , they also tell little lies... Goodie, should we either axe, burn or flush this little pizzer?! Your comments are welcome. Even if you go under a false name to tell me this is a fantastic release! Im always in for a good laugh!...

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:24 pm

I have been scanning the booklet from cover to cover and listening closely to the CD but have not found an explanation for the somewhat eccentric title of this CD.

I thought maybe in the introductions E might have referred to the Inspirations as Not Too sweet - but alas no!!

Hope I am not mising something obvious.

Anyhow, that aside I would say that this is a great Cd for fans of Live Elvis shows. The Sound is better than implied by 77br IMO - and it is indeed a great show.

What stands out most though is the quality of the product as a whole. A great 12 page booklet with extensive liner notes and some great pictures (irrespective of the source :wink: ) and also a beautiful picture disc!! Compare this to the bare bones approach of some other recent import release, and even the regular FTDs, and SR label smacks of quality.

Still it is the music that ultimately counts , and keeps us entertained, and to listen to this show is entertaining - Elvis is giving of his best, and it is a powerhouse performance. Just listen to You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling towards the beginning of the show or You Gave Me a Mountain at the end. Elvis the Entertainer - doing what he did best!!