Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis #1 UK CD Singles, questions

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:26 pm

Ok first of all these are pretty cool!

How in the heck do you get this stupid sticker off of the front if I dare try(why did they do that)?

How much did these cost our friends across the pond apiece when they came out? I think I got a good reasonable price on these, but I'm not sure how much they cost in the first place.

I have never in my life seen a black pressed CD. That is pretty cool! I may try to get some more of these!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:51 pm

Jeff the cd's cost £3.99 each when they came out. Thats about US$7.50. The box was about £7.99 (US$15.00) and All Shook Up came free in it. Yeah they are pretty cool, I dont mind the sticker that much, I havent tried to get it off as, knowing my luck, I'll rip half the cover off with it. :roll:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:57 pm

Jeff, I recently came across some in a US "Tower Records" store and of course couldn't help myself...! I normally collect Elvis 45s (real singles, that is, on vinyl!) but that collection is nearly 30 years in the making, so some of these I haven't found yet, so the CD did the trick, plus the bonuses are kind of nice, too:

I picked up:
She's Not You
Crying In the Chapel
The Wonder of You
Way Down

On "Crying in the Chapel," I hated where they put the sticker, covering part of his face...I took it off...and it left a weird blackish hue behind it.

So leave'em on!

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:24 pm

bray1977 wrote:Jeff the cd's cost £3.99 each when they came out. Thats about US$7.50. The box was about £7.99 (US$15.00) and All Shook Up came free in it. Yeah they are pretty cool, I dont mind the sticker that much, I havent tried to get it off as, knowing my luck, I'll rip half the cover off with it. :roll:

Thanks for the info... thats my luck too, so I don't think I will even try to take the stickers off, and risk it but I thought there may be a trick.

Gregory, what are the bonus cuts on Wonder of You & Way Down? I think I may get those next. Thanx!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:38 pm

The original flip side of TWOY was "Mama Liked the Roses" but I especially liked the bonus of "Let It Be Me." I've never had that cued up right next to it, so it's a good comparison of two similiar songs.

"Way Down" has the original "Pledging My Love" with an alternate take of "Way Down" which is nice to have next to the original. (I forget where this was originally released.)

Likewise, "She's Not You" has an alternate in there, which I also forget the source it was on originally.

The bonuses just enough without diluting the 'single' feeling...

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:28 pm

I think the alternate version of "Way Down" is the one released on "Platinum - A Life In Music" from 1997. It's the one with the instrumental break after the final verse, it's pretty cool.

The singles were something I was determined not to get, then I saw them and bought them, couldn't resist in the end.

BTW there are as usual with BMG, the numbered limited Box and singles, and un-numbered and presumably unlimited versions as well.

A nice thing to have, either way.

Best wishes

Geoff

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:08 am

Okay, thanks, Tup'. I thought it was something familiar.

Yeah, I resisted. My singles collection of 45rpms and now CD's has grown a lot in the last year.

The singles (perhaps mainly because of the cool picture sleeves) are just too much a part of his heritage not to collect! The vinyl is at least relatively cheap and can be found readily.

ImageImage

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:16 pm

I seem to remember there were plans to release a similar set of US number ones in the autumn/fall. Is this still going ahead?

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:00 pm

Stephen, I haven't seen real or official confirmation since Elvis
Unlimited
was reported (via a down-under site)to have announced the following in June,
regarding a " USA #1 Singles Box Set."

"The following singles are the ones that BMG in the US
will release in the fall of 2005. The plan is to make a box
like the one that was released in the UK months ago.
The singles in this upcoming box will also be released one
per week like BMG UK did with their box.
The US box will contain Elvis' 20 US Cashbox number one hits.

1) Heartbreak Hotel / I Was The One
March '56

2) I Want You, I Need You, I Love You / My Baby Left Me
May '56

3) Don't Be Cruel / Hound Dog
August '56

4) Love Me Tender / Any Way You Want Me
October '56

5) Too Much / Playing For Keeps
January '57

6) All Shook Up / That's When Your Heartaches Begin

April '57

7) Teddy Bear / Loving You
June '57

8 ) Jailhouse Rock / Treat Me Nice
October '57

9) Don't / I Beg Of You
January 1958

10) Hard Headed Woman / Don't Ask Me Why
June '59

11) A Big Hunk O' Love / My Wish Came True
July '59

12) Stuck On You / Fame And Fortune
April '60

13) It's Now Or Never / A Mess Of Blues
July '60

14) Are You Lonesome Tonight / I Gotta Know
November '61

15) Surrender / Lonely Man
February '61

16) Good Luck Charm / Anything That's Part Of You
March '62

17) Return To Sender / Where Do You Come From
October '62

18 ) In The Ghetto / Any Day Now
May '69

19) Suspicious Minds / You'll Think Of Me
September '69

20) Burning Love / A Matter Of Time
August '72

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:07 pm

With the 50th anniversary of the release of 'Heartbreak Hotel' approaching (March 2006) and BMG UK planning to commemorate the event on a large scale, I suspect BMG USA will delay the release of the singles series to coincide with this milestone. Expect a media frenzy with a singles box-set along with, hopefully, some unreleased stuff!