Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

another question for ask ernst.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:32 am

why didn't they remove the ending note of take 2 of stuck on you from the begining of take 1 of fever on the elvis is back 2 cd set instead of used from the orignal session reel.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:53 am

Talking about Stuck On You here's another question for "Ernst": How come that there're two different takes that are labeled "take 1" on Elvis Is Back!? Has this ever been cleared up before?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:46 pm

see-see-rider -

There are several examples of take numbers going awry.

Sometimes the engineer calls a number twice, sometimes they don't designate a false start with a take number.

Sometimes a take number is called, but they don't actually tape anything !

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:59 pm

ritchie valens wrote:why didn't they remove the ending note of take 2 of stuck on you from the begining of take 1 of fever on the elvis is back 2 cd set instead of used from the orignal session reel.

The intro before Fever take 1 is an interesting detail. Fever take 1 is the first track of one live 2-track mix session tape and the exact start point is always different on different transfers done over the years, so one can assume there's probably no lead-in tape there. The new Sony transfer started with a cut when Chet is saying "sounded great...", whereas an old BMG transfer of the same tape starts with the low level laughter and Elvis saying "we got plenty of tape". If you compare this with the Stuck on You take 2/Fever take 1 transition on Essential 6 you can hear that there are two bass notes (different strings on Bob's bass) with a clear tape cut between them. I think the second of those bass note is the start of the Fever tape since there are no other indications of tape cuts between the second bass note and Elvis saying "we've got plenty of tape", which is the first part we know for sure belongs to the Fever tape. Apart from that, Elvis says "I had a few bad notes..." on Essential 6 while that (the 2nd) bass note decay lasts and the line makes sense with the "plenty of tape" following. I don't think it was cross-faded on Essential 6. What do you think?

see-see-rider wrote:Talking about Stuck On You here's another question for "Ernst": How come that there're two different takes that are labeled "take 1" on Elvis Is Back!? Has this ever been cleared up before?

True. Stuck on You Take 1 is short false start followed by a complete take. The intention of the second disc was to present it as "The making of", using the Live 2-track mix only. It was difficult to justify the inclusion of Stuck on You take 2 at all, since that was just a LFS and it is a compromise to end the sequence with a non-complete performance as such. The insertion of the SFS take 1 was to have better "flow" on the second disc, with Stuck on You take 2 possibly not standing out as much as the most fragmented part on Disc 2. So, although it was the intention to keep the number of false starts on Disc 1 to a minimum, the Stuck on You take 1 FS would have remained on Disc 1 if more outtakes of the song had been recorded. Or, if Stuck on You Take 1 had been picked up by the Live 2-track machine both takes 1 and 2 could have been put on Disc 2.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:02 pm

Anyone not happy with the answer being comprehensive enough ? :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mr Sholes :wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:50 pm

Steve Sholes wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:Talking about Stuck On You here's another question for "Ernst": How come that there're two different takes that are labeled "take 1" on Elvis Is Back!? Has this ever been cleared up before?

True. Stuck on You Take 1 is short false start followed by a complete take. The intention of the second disc was to present it as "The making of", using the Live 2-track mix only. It was difficult to justify the inclusion of Stuck on You take 2 at all, since that was just a LFS and it is a compromise to end the sequence with a non-complete performance as such. The insertion of the SFS take 1 was to have better "flow" on the second disc, with Stuck on You take 2 possibly not standing out as much as the most fragmented part on Disc 2. So, although it was the intention to keep the number of false starts on Disc 1 to a minimum, the Stuck on You take 1 FS would have remained on Disc 1 if more outtakes of the song had been recorded. Or, if Stuck on You Take 1 had been picked up by the Live 2-track machine both takes 1 and 2 could have been put on Disc 2.

Errrr-uuuuh, yeah ... Thanks. :? ;) To make the confusion perfect. Which take is the one named "take 1" on Disc 1? :roll:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:27 pm

Now THAT is what this message board is all about.
Thanks Steve Sholes, I have read & I have learnt.

Marvellous job,

Piers

Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:20 pm

see-see-rider wrote:To make the confusion perfect. Which take is the one named "take 1" on Disc 1? :roll:

Take 1 ;-)
OK, we can call it Take 1B, with the SFS on Disc 2 being Take 1A. (Both "takes 1" are on the FTD Fame and Fortune in the right order).

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Thanks for the great Infos Steve :D

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:02 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Very informative news about the Elvis is Back sessions 8) 8). Please Mr. Steve Sholes, let us know when will we have a new update on your website, I canĀ“t wait. I need to complete my own Elvis Audio Studio Session :wink: :wink: :wink: . Thank you. All the best. :) :) :) .

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.