Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Legendary Performer Volumes 5&6

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:42 am

Just curious about the binaural recordings on these two imports...
I have heard the March 20 recordings on volume 6 and they are quite good... quite
different from the original import. Much better than the March 21 track from volume 5... although
that itself is quite good as well.
I didn't find the Birmingham, AL cut of Love Letters all that different from the original...
My question is: Are these "binaural" recordings simply digitally modified versions of the original
soundboard recordings or are they taken from an alternate source?

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:14 pm

I was listening to Vol 6 and Hurt and I can't bare to listen to that again. The left channel having the vocal and the right James Burton drove me mental, that really screws the listening pleasure up. I didn't think it was binaural but that it was a stereo soundboard and they hadn't bothered to mix it just to bleed a certain frequency from each side.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:13 pm

I have to agree Steve..Hurt has never been a favourite of mine.. but that version sets your teeth on edge..well which ones I have left :oops: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:02 pm

Steve_M wrote:I was listening to Vol 6 and Hurt and I can't bare to listen to that again. The left channel having the vocal and the right James Burton drove me mental, that really screws the listening pleasure up. I didn't think it was binaural but that it was a stereo soundboard and they hadn't bothered to mix it just to bleed a certain frequency from each side.

Yeah,the binarual verion sounds very good.....on paper but its pretty painful to really hear it.
The same goes for essential vol2 released by Bmg over 15 years ago......not as bad as Hurt but in my opinion suffer from the same problem

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:32 pm

Yeah, and I can't recall what the heck I was meaning to say instead, but that is binaural in its truest form, I said it wasn't, maybe it was my awkward way of saying that they restricted the frequency on each channel and left the mix as it was, totally binaural.

The worse thing was I was driving when I was playing it! Yuck! :lol:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:58 am

Have the "fixed" copies of ALP VOL 6 been released yet?

Br
Kristian

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:45 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:Have the "fixed" copies of ALP VOL 6 been released yet?

Br
Kristian

What is the problem with the last two tracks???
I don't hear it.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:38 am

Depends on the player it is in.

My PC works fine with it, but in my car the last two tracks skip all over the place and differently each time.

Re: Legendary Performer Volumes 5&6

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:05 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Just curious about the binaural recordings on these two imports...
I have heard the March 20 recordings on volume 6 and they are quite good... quite
different from the original import. Much better than the March 21 track from volume 5... although
I didn't find the Birmingham, AL cut of Love Letters all that different from the original...
My question is: Are these "binaural" recordings simply digitally modified versions of the original

I'm always hearing "binaural recordings" ... What exactly are you talking about?

Re: Legendary Performer Volumes 5&6

Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:44 am

see-see-rider wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:Just curious about the binaural recordings on these two imports...

I'm always hearing "binaural recordings" ... What exactly are you talking about?

This is taken directly from the back of the LP "Elvis Presley Stereo 57 - Essential Elvis Volume 2"

A Technical Note About Binaural

"A couple of years before the advent of the stereo disc in mid-1958, major recording companies had been experimenting with stereophonic recording of classical music (often referred to then as 'binaural'). In the popular music sphere, however, state-of-the-art studios were using the new Ampex 2-track tape recorders for making binaural tapes for other purposes. The engineers would place, say, the vocalist or soloist on one track and the backing band on the other; this enabled further engineering and mixing to produce the final mono master after the performers had left. In the earliest days - as in the case of these Elvis sessions - the binaural machine was running only as a safety copy.
Although these 2-track tapes were never intended for stereophonic release thirty-odd years ago, I have very carefully prepared them for stereo enjoyment utilizing techniques that I hope are compatible with the aims of the original recording team and artist. The quality and clarity of these originals certainly belie their age and permit a exciting stereo image by any standard - a tribute indeed to the Radio Recorders engineers." BOB JONES

Several of the "live" recordings on Legendary Performer Vol. 5&6 are "binaural" recordings...

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:47 pm

I think I've heard folks call it a kind of pseudo-stereo, though nothing like the '70s phony stereo some of us grew up on.

It takes some getting used to hearing this stuff.

I'm not sure if it's really that big of a deal.