Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Documentary "Good Rockin' Tonight"

Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:25 pm

Last night a came across a documentary on TV Ontario called "Good Rockin' Tonight".
I'm sure many of you have seen this but it was the first time for me.
Unfortunately, I picked it up half way through.
I had never heard of the likes of Sonny Burgess or Billy Lee Riley.
BLR seemed a little bitter over the fact that Sam dropped the promotion of his single "Red Hot" (back in 1957) in favor of Jerry Lee's "Great Balls of Fire".

It was great to see Scotty but I didn't really understand why DJ Fontana was there (not being on the SUN records)???
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (and co.) did an excellent version of one of Sonny Burgess' hits "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It" - who were those three guys singing backup? - COOL!!!
I'd never heard that song before seeing this show - awesome tune!!!
Another one that stood out was Johnny Cash's "I Walk The Line" performed by Live. I thought that was a pretty cool rendition.

Anyway, It looked interesting enough and I'd like to see the whole thing at some point.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:42 pm

I can't believe you have never heard of Sonny Burgess & Billy Lee Riley, both artist are excellent. I think Sonny is doing some thing in Tupelo, regarding Elvis this month. Next month he's at the Americana Show in Newark, England

Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:13 am

I saw Billy Lee Riley perform two years ago--opened for Jerry Lee Lewis (in fact, he closed for the Killer, too. Jerry Lee didn't show up, claiming illness, so Billy Lee came back out for 5 more songs).

"Good Rockin' Tonight" is an interesting documentary.