Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

WHICH SINGLE CHANGED YOUR WORLD - BBC POLL

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:43 pm

To register your vote as to which single changed your world, please go to the following URL:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4748737.stm

Brian :D

Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:37 am

bump.

Brian :D

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:15 am

I'm sick of polls. Elvis related or otherwise.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:24 pm

Always with a picture of a sickly Elvis... :(

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:41 pm

KevinK wrote:Always with a picture of a sickly Elvis... :(

Yes, a truly appalling choice of picture. I've just contacted the site to request that they change it to something more fitting. Anyone else who wants to do the same, click here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ifs/hi/ ... 000561.stm

Avoid being abusive though.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks TJ. I sent a note to them :wink:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:34 pm

Just for the record. It was 'A Big Hunk Of Love' that changed my world. My dad had it on 7", and I made him play it for me when I was a kid. I'd already heard a few Elvis songs, and that's why I made him play it. But when I heard that song.. I'd never heard anything like it.. Still haven't really, to this day. It's just electrifying..

A little less inspiring, but still truly wonderful, was the flipside 'My Wish Came True'. With that beautiful high singing in the background.. I was hooked. And it's all down to that one single.

K.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:07 pm

I just wrote the following letter and I urge you all to do the same via the comment page:

Of all the terrific photographs that exist of Elvis Presley over four decades, why would the BBC continue to use an awful shot of him when he was too sick to be on stage in 1977 shortly before his death? Whenever the late singer pops back into the news, I see this photo trotted out.

I assume it's an oversight, but it's enough to make me think that someone is trying to purposely undermine the man's considerable talents and legacy.

Please, try to use a more flattering photograph.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

So please do let the BBC know about this. It's really overdue to change that photo and frankly never use it again. Imagine similiar shots of other artists! It doesn't really happen.

And again, be polite as was suggested. :D

P.S.
I might just have to select "Heartbreak Hotel" or perhaps "Hound Dog" and "Jailhouse Rock" which all knocked me out in the spring of '77....

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:16 pm

That what those running the Elvis business machine get from sectors of the BBC these days after disputing the airing of a clip more than once a few years ago.

Top Of The Pops just said stuff you then, go without the publicity if your man is that good and doesn't need it. Guess what they use for photos these days.....well, why not ? EPE say their man doesn't need any help.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:16 am

Oh, great. Now I remember.

Still, how spiteful! It's also reflects poorly on them as a journalistic source.

Still, EPE blew it, as usual. Hell, the guy's whole career is borderline public domain, and surely history. He's not a brand, get over it already.

It's so short-sighted. Now they reap...

Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:26 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Imagine similiar shots of other artists! It doesn't really happen.
]#

Exactly it doesn't. In my comments to the BBC I made a Freddie Mercury comparison. If they had used a picture of him, it would likely have been an 80s stage shot, looking fit, healthy and dynamic, NOT a picture taken weeks before his sad death. The more I think about it, the more it seems deliberate and cynical. :x

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:00 am

The fact that it's B&W makes him look worse. Unfortunately, this sort of activity in the press would increase tenfold should EIC ever see the light of day.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:06 pm

Oh, but Delboy, the "fans" demand it! :lol: