Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

TTWII Differences

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:23 pm

A friend of mine asked me what the differences were between the original TTWII and the SE. Now, I could easily look at my DVD's when I get home or go back and research it on this very site. But, why do that when I have all of you knowledgable folks who can easily point out the differences from memory?? If someone would please be so kind, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank in advance.

Tom

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:25 pm

The original was a 15 year wait before it could be played at home and the SE was avaialble to watch on US TV before it was even finished.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:30 pm

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the compare chart that I found on the TTWII website at the time.

If anyone knows how to attach word files to a post please let me know and I'll post the information here.

bpd

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:32 pm

bpd,

You should be able to highlight the text in the word document and copy and then paste it into a reply post. Might not hold the carraige returns though.

You can't attach a word doc on here directly. :cry:

Hi Tom

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi Tom,

Here are the main differences: the original had much fan footage, the SE doesn't. In SE the following stage performances were cut: I Just Can't Help Believing, I've Lost You, Sweet Caroline and Bridge over Troubled Water.
The new version did have new stage performances: I Got A Woman, different One Night, You Don't Have To Say You Love Me, different Suspicious Minds, complete Can't help Falling In Love, In The Ghetto, The Wonder Of You and Just Pretend.
Several new rehearsal songs were 20 Days and 20 Night, Words (more complete).
This is all just from memory so by no way complete.
Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers
Simon

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:47 pm

First of all the soundquality on the SE is greatly improved over the original movie. And it contains a few alternate versions on some songs. The original movie has a better song lineup IMO with I Just Can´t Help Believin´, Bridge Over Troubled Water, I´ve Lost You and Sweet Caroline.

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:48 pm

Yes it does and thank you all. Seems my memory was much better than I thought.

Bill

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:12 pm

For me, two of the few redeeming moments from the SE come from the rehearsals. It's great to see ELvis enjoying Little Sister / Get Back - they all rock on this one.

The real highlight, though, is the fantastic sequence of the rehearsal of Twenty Days And Twenty Nights. The editing between Elvis in the studio, and the Sweets singing to the record, is fantastic.

Sadly, the live portion of the SE failed to deliver on many levels. It gives the impression that while new material was rehearsed, too many oldies were in the actual show. The strongest filmed performances were all cut from the SE - in my opinion. I can't believe, for example, that Sweet Caroline made room for an awful version of Dont Be Cruel, and that we had to hear the Gee Gee story rather than I just Can't Help Believin.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:49 pm

Wasn't Are You Lonesome cut from the SE of wasn't this on the first edition either?

No

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:04 pm

No it wasn't in the original one. They wanted the SE to end with Are you Lonesome Tonight, but they didn't want to pay the money they asked for it. So Schmidlin replaced it with the ''after show backstage party footage'' in the final cut. Interestingly, promo copies were sent out already WITH the song in it :lol:
Cheers
Simon

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:03 pm

Hmm... Is the performance of Can't Help Falling In Love complete in the SE? To my knowledge it is a splice of videos of August 11-th and August 12-th performances...

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:16 pm

Can't Help Falling in Love as well as the 'new' version of Suspicious Minds are both splices.

RKS

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:24 pm

Are you sure that the performance of Suspicious Minds is a splice from two different shows? I always thought that it missed [an] edited part[s] in the middle, but had been filmed at one concert... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:06 am

Russian fan wrote:Are you sure that the performance of Suspicious Minds is a splice from two different shows? I always thought that it missed [an] edited part[s] in the middle, but had been filmed at one concert... Correct me if I'm wrong...

Look in SE to the last seconds of Suspicious Minds and you'll see that the Concha Suit changes into the Chain Suit. Speaking of a quick change :wink:

Suspicious Minds

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:21 am

Suspicious Minds has more than one splice, for example when he walks over to the Sweet Inspirations comes from another show (August 12, dinner show). The main part is from August 11, dinner show.
Cheers
Simon

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:30 am

TTWII movie seems a salad sometimes.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:53 am

renanagulled wrote:TTWII movie seems a salad sometimes.

Now that Polk Salad!!! :wink:

8)

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:42 pm

IMO the main difference between those two versions of That's The Way It Is lies in their structure. While the original version is a very complex documentary which is structured and narrated on several different layers waving all of them together into a real documentary, the SE is a simple line-up of performances, starting with the rehearsals and moving on to what the director calls the "ultimate Elvis performance". More or less this all the film provides.

Okay, so there's a "complete" version (in fact almost nothing in this movie is complete) of Little Sister and different camera angles. Big deal! On the other hand the film lost about everything the original version had: It is strictly a chronological kind of narration - a buddhist would say "vertical" - with no reference to the structure and character of the original that was trying to get the excitement of Elvis 1970 accross by doing more than showing applauding women in the audience. There was a stream of conciousness in the original that probably wasn't too easy to find - but it was there. There was in fact a reason why the original director put in the interviews and documenting footage from a hotel kitchen and all that. All this has been replaced by a director, Schmidlin, who's only claim to "his" film was: "And then we show this song, and then we show that song, and then ..."

There's no "between the lines", there's no inner structure except for the great big goal to present a show with no interviews in between. Meanwhile I must say a pretty boring movie with all its cuts and edits and attempts to speed things up for "generation MTV". It's just that no one of generation MTV was going to watch that movie - compared to the ten thousands of fans that were longing for an issue of that (original) movie on DVD. Even apart from the fact that essential performances were missing it was a very disappointing experience IMO ...

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:47 pm

Hotel kitchen. Which bit was that, I've forgotten :oops:

Wasn't there a kitchen - cooking shot in EOT ?

I don't know if the two lesbian library assistant girls and their pussy contributed much to the original nor the wired looking "write you a dirty letter" guy who must have been locked up during the 70's for some mass murder spree containing a heavy perversion towards each of his victims. :lol:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:55 pm

Steve_M wrote:Hotel kitchen. Which bit was that, I've forgotten :oops:

Wasn't there a kitchen - cooking shot in EOT ?

I don't know if the two lesbian library assistant girls and their pussy contributed much to the original nor the wired looking "write you a dirty letter" guy who must have been locked up during the 70's for some mass murder spree containing a heavy perversion towards each of his victims. :lol:

Well, though I'm not really sure whether it makes sence to answer this: I guess that's how people looked back then, that's how Elvis-fans looked back then and that is what they had to say. And once again: There was a reason why the director interviewed those people who I personally would not like to insult as either "lesbian looking" or "mass murder" but I guess that's not the issue here. Denis Sanders wanted to have interviews in there and that's it.

BTW - I don't think that the majority of the fans today looks that much different or has a totally different attitude. Substract the 70ies charm and there you go.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:01 pm

Insult ? what's wrong with lesbians ? :? :lol:

Looking at a lot of the other fans from that time none of them looked like those who got to speak did, I'm also not sure that all the fans had the attitude about writing a dirty letter etc, maybe they did. Maybe that's why Dennis included them - because they were typical fans and he recieved hundreds of dirty letters. :lol:

But back to the point I was making - they weren't included on the SE version and that to me was the best difference.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:05 pm

um, minus the worse hair, i think i look better than a lot of them. i have straightened teeth at least, unlike apparently every fan in elvis on tour. :lol: hmm...maybe i should go bouffant, wear big fake eyelashes, and wear go-go boots and we could see for sure. :lol: :wink: i think my mom still has some appropriate outfits in her closet for the occasion. :twisted:

really, i could do without the fan interviews. i really want all the songs though. if i could, i'd take out all the splicings, all the fan interviews, all the titles off tiger man/mystery train so you get the actual unadulterated footage, no footage with overlapping music from a different occasion etc... i'd want to lose all of that and just get the straight old performances in entirety. no added zing necessary. elvis is the zing, not the quicky splicy montage editing.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:57 pm

bpd wrote:PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the compare chart that I found on the TTWII website at the time.

If anyone knows how to attach word files to a post please let me know and I'll post the information here.

bpd

Cut and past the text!

Oh man. I could have figured that out. A goof am I ...And I'm an IT professional too! :oops: :oops: :oops:

bpd
Last edited by bpd on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:58 pm

Steve_M wrote:The original was a 15 year wait before it could be played at home and the SE was avaialble to watch on US TV before it was even finished.

Bloody hilarious Steve!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:28 am

Steve M -

You wrote:
....nor the wired looking "write you a dirty letter" guy who must have been locked up during the 70's for some mass murder spree containing a heavy perversion towards each of his victims.

He posts on here under the name 'Maurice' !