Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ask Ernst....question

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:19 pm

The first two FTD non-soundtrack releases in the "classic" series (live in memphis and Elvis is back) were both up-graded in sound.
Why was Elvis Today not up-graded for best possible sound ? And will the rest of the "classic" albums not be up-graded either ?

Some of the members on this board has contach with Ernst, could you please ask him this question for me ? :D

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:25 pm

It might not be the best time to place such a question. Ernst is recovering from a little bit of a health scare and might not really be able to give the question the attention and focus he would normally enjoy.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:40 pm

Steve_M

I should have added just to ask the question whenever Ernst has fully recovered.

Thanks.

Mike.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:50 pm

Ernst was browsing through the forum, only just a few short hours ago!

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Yes! he was, that is true. So Mike, I'm sure he'll reply to you if he's feeling up to it. :wink:

That said, maybe FECC can take this question and have it form part of the official "Ask Ernst" session that's hopefully coming up later in the year, otherwise they won't have as much depth to the questions as they, and we, would like.

Re: Ask Ernst....question

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:22 pm

Mike DK wrote:The first two FTD non-soundtrack releases in the "classic" series (live in memphis and Elvis is back) were both up-graded in sound.

What makes you think that? The first one was actually downgraded in matters of sound quality. The second one wasn't upgraded either, since it didn't surpass the definitive issue of Elvis Is Back!, the DCC Fold Disc mastered by Steve Hoffman in 1997.

Regarding Today I'm absolutely happy that they stuck to the original masters and didn't mess around with the sound. IMO they're not significally better sounding than the 1991 (?) digital mastering done by Dick Baxter but at least that error on Woman Without Love was corrected.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:09 pm

In my opinion, which I highly respect :D the Live in Memphis has never sounded better.
I do not have the edition of Elvis is Back that you mention and cannot compare sound, however the new FTD edition sounds better than the 18 track edition that I do have.

I am also glad that the haven't Re-mixed Elvis Today, but the tracks sound a bit flat and boring compared to the DSD tracks of the same songs found on the DSD release of Great Country. Also all the outtakes have been mastered WAY to load and appear to have been "clipped".

Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:18 pm

What is funny about the Today set on FTD is that the rehearsal/jam of Tiger Man sounds stronger than any other track on the two discs. How can that have better soundquality than the rest of the selections?? Have they used different tapes or what?

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:26 pm

MB280E: I also noticed this quality in Tigerman track....It seems Elvis and the band is playing in your room...So clear!

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:45 am

MB280E wrote:What is funny about the Today set on FTD is that the rehearsal/jam of Tiger Man sounds stronger than any other track on the two discs. How can that have better soundquality than the rest of the selections?? Have they used different tapes or what?

Sincerely MB280E

My guess is that for "Tiger man" they went back to the recording-tape and made a mix for release.
The "masters" are old tapes mixed from the recording-tape in the seventies.

TIGER by the tail

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Surely the version of 'Tiger-man' on the new FTD is the same remaster as found within the 70's box set - the fade-out is as abrupt as the version that crash lands into 'I Can Help'.

I was eagerly expecting this new release to have fragments more of this ipromptu performance :cry:

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:06 pm

I think Tiger Man has just been mastered louder, and in my opinion MUCH to loud.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:38 am

Mike DK wrote:I think Tiger Man has just been mastered louder, and in my opinion MUCH to loud.

I'm surprised that they didn't end Tiger Man with the engineer saying "We got that," as reported in Ernst's A Life in Music book.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:57 am

Mike C wrote:
Mike DK wrote:I think Tiger Man has just been mastered louder, and in my opinion MUCH to loud.

I'm surprised that they didn't end Tiger Man with the engineer saying "We got that," as reported in Ernst's A Life in Music book.

That's for the FTD CAMDEN lable re-issue.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:25 am

i liked the today cd.
which song was before tigerman and after it on the session tape?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:48 am

ritchie valens wrote:which song was before tigerman and after it on the session tape?

T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Tiger Man (jam)
Woman Without Love

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:19 am

was it after the master take?