Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:35 am

the area around graceland looks like the ghetto. and then there's this beautiful small mansion behind a crappy looking wall that has about a foot of it chipped off for souveniers towards the front. it looks really out of place.

and across the street it's just a big tourist pull, not that i mind, but it's not nice stuff really either. the elvis kids store was the one that made me cringe the most.

graceland is not in a great part of memphis, really. kinda the poor section.

which part of memphis is the nicest?

Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:the area around graceland looks like the ghetto. and then there's this beautiful small mansion behind a crappy looking wall that has about a foot of it chipped off for souveniers towards the front. it looks really out of place.

That area was countryside when he moved there in 1957.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

One of Elvis' biggest failures was not buying more surrounding acreage - 80 acres even - 200 acres even - to make his estate bigger - his woods and trees and peaceful place wider -
and push back, way back, that encroaching crappy gritty graffitied, noisy, crime-happening, neon & concrete citylife farther away from those gates.

LAND, SON. LAND.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:17 am

Scatter wrote:Not an old stomping ground for me Rob. The first time I was there was in 1980.

Not sure why, but I thought you were originally from that area. Must be your name that threw me.

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:48 am

Graceland Gardener wrote: "One of Elvis' biggest failures was not buying more surrounding acreage - 80 acres even - 200 acres even - to make his estate bigger - his woods and trees and peaceful place wider -
and push back, way back, that encroaching crappy gritty graffitied, noisy, crime-happening, neon & concrete citylife farther away from those gates"

Keep in mind that Elvis had a home in Palm Springs, where he used to relax up until '77..

RJ