Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Arena documentary UK BBC 4 My Way

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:51 am

Elvis features in this documentary which is being shown on BBC 4 tonight 23.05

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:07 am

Cheers davide, just tuning in. :D

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:16 am

Well, you learn something new every day! David Bowie applied an English lyric to the French (My Way) tune before Paul Anka did!

That's one to impress your friends! :D

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:28 am

Yeah, that little I did know, but he got turned down for it and so went and penned Life On Mars because of it.

I missed the programme :cry:

Had I have caught it I would have recorded it and done the ususal of putting on the server for everyone.

Sorry folks, holler if it's repeated please.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:32 am

Was it a repeat of 20 odd year old "Arena" programme about the song?

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:35 am

I thought the only other Arena programme about Elvis that was done was about Heartbreak Hotel. No ?

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:39 am

Well the Arena programme I remember about "My Way" had a clip of Elvis's CBS '77 version.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:41 am

Dan_T wrote:Was it a repeat of 20 odd year old "Arena" programme about the song?

Yes! It showed the EIC clip. Paul Anka was very complimentary about Elvis though.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:09 am

Oh well, it don't matter too much then. We got the full clip of the My Way song now including bits taken off the DVD so hopefully it's better than what was on the Arena show.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:25 am

Delboy wrote:
Dan_T wrote:Was it a repeat of 20 odd year old "Arena" programme about the song?

Yes! It showed the EIC clip. Paul Anka was very complimentary about Elvis though.

I know Anka wrote the song (with others) but did he also record it? So was he the first or someone else.I got a bet going with someone who says Sinatra was the first to record it. Is say Anka and I say that on the fact that he wrote it, so I am hoping I'm right. :lol:

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:35 pm

Anka would have been probably the first to record that song with those lyrics, even at minimum as a demo.

Sinatra was the first to release a recording of that song with those lyrics.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:25 pm

Steve_M wrote:Anka would have been probably the first to record that song with those lyrics, even at minimum as a demo.

Sinatra was the first to release a recording of that song with those lyrics.

Aha, so Anka recorded but never released it. Maybe he should have :D
But I am still right and my friend isn't. We talked about recording, not releasing it as a single :mrgreen: :twisted:

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:22 pm

Paul Ankas great song, "My Way", was translated for Frank Sinatra in 1966 based on a French song, "Comme d'Habitude" by Claude Francois, which Anka had purchased the copyright to. Paul Anka has also released his own version while recording for RCA but I´m not shure when it was released, but probably after Sinatras release. If you like to hear PAs version you can find it on several compilations or seek at Bear Share.....

Blue Boy

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:26 pm

Yeah, Paul did release it, but the question was as to who recorded it first, I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that Paul had done so once he'd written the lyrics to it, even if only as a demo to play back to know he was happy with it.