Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Wolf Memphis

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:12 pm

"An native of Austria says he has recorded the song that Elvis Presley wanted to record before he past away in 1977.

Elvis wanted to record "Fire Down Below" during his last studiosession, but didn't come around to it. Wolf Memphis, real name Wolfgang Hahn, says the song has never been recorded before and has become a myth to Elvis fans.

De Austrian native claims to have recorded the song in Memphis, Tennessee with help from The King's former bandmates, drummer Ronnie Tutt and guitarplayers Reggie Young and James Burton".

Source: Dutch News.

I never heard of this dude or even the song.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:09 pm

Elvis-4-Ever -

The song was written for Elvis.

He came very close to recording it.

They actually recorded the backing track but he never added his vocal to it.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:55 pm

OK but do you know the guy as well?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:02 pm

No

Fire

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:22 pm

Norwegian roots artist Stephen Ackles has released There's a Fire Down Below on his 2005 album which was released a couple of months ago.
This month Stephen is performing in Memphis with Reggie Young and the rest of the Memphis '69 Session Band as he has done in Europe earlier this year.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:02 am

ColinB wrote:Elvis-4-Ever -

The song was written for Elvis.

He came very close to recording it.

They actually recorded the backing track but he never added his vocal to it.

The backing track is of course available on the FTD Jungle Room Sessions.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:30 pm

I don't believe Elvis was going to record this at all.

Jerry had the tune and asked to record it at the session - but there weren't any lyrics even written at the time for Elvis to have used.

So the real myth is that Elvis was going to record it.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:12 pm

Yeah thought about that too. The newsartical implies that he didn't record because he died but the instrumental version is from 76. Think he had enough time to record it then.
Smart move to sell it this way from this Wolf dude, because some fans who don't know the whole story will buy this Wolfman's version. Or at least, that's what he's hoping for.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:47 pm

I still dream someday a tape can be found with new songs from this sessions including Feelings and an Elvis vocal for Fire Down Below. I hope I´m not dreaming so much :shock:
Is it really true Elvis rehearsed some songs of The Platters?? I know there are several rumours...

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:00 pm

I think you are dreaming too much of a vocal on Fire DB as there were no lyrics written at the time.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:33 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
So that makes impossible :lol:
I didn´t know it..

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:55 pm

WARNING FROM JERRY
Elvis' long time bass player has issued a warning to fans regarding a story on this
site (here).

According to Jerry Scheff, the new recording of his work “Fire Down Below”’, which
is being promoted by Wolfgang Hahn (aka Wolf Memphis) is a rip-off and it seems
that the Austrian singer has simply sung to an existing recording of the original
track which was featured on the FTD release, "Jungle Room Sessions", in an
attempt to release the recording as his ownEvidently, the Austrian singer
overdubbed an existing recording, trying to make it look as his own version.

This is what Jerry had to say:
Hello my friends, This is Jerry Scheff.
I have heard recently that a release of my song 'Fire Down Below' is being
promoted by Wolfgang Hahn in Austria for the 16th August 2005.

I have no agreements for either performance, publishing or distribution with him or
any company he represents.

He is also claiming it as a recording with the original TCB Band. If this is the case
he has used material which he has no rights to and may be a demo quality
unmixable instrumental.

Neither I or the TCB have been consulted or co operated in any way with this
product. I understand that Wolfgang has dubbed his own voice over our
performance in the past 3 days and is racing to benefit from the Elvis week events
and audiences.

It particularly saddens me to see the anniversary of Elvis' death exploited for
personal gain in this way. I urge you to let as many people as you can know of the
truth of this situation.

An official TCB Band CD of Fire Down Below can be found on my website or I
eagerly invite you to wait until the version sung by Austrian Dennis Jale is
releasing in October 2005 with which I have been fully and professionally involved.

Dennis is a real singer: not a rip off artist. Also, Dennis's CD will also include
another song I wrote for Elvis called 'That's When The Real Love Begins'.
Thanks for your support for the TCB Band.
All the best
Jerry Scheff

http://www.elvis-express.com / Source: Email

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:25 pm

Steve M -
Why do you say there were no lyrics written for There's A Fire Down Below at the time of the session? According to Ernst's A Life In Music at the session the band worked on the song without Elvis. When Elvis came down he 'seemed receptive to the tune,' but became impatient when the band started fooling around, and went back upstairs. Later Ernst writes that Felton 'traveled around with the master track of There's A Fire Down Below, hoping somehow to trick Elvis into doing a vocal cut.' This certainly suggests there were lyrics.

Jerry has said that Elvis told him he would record the song.

There has long been rumors that Elvis did record a vocal, although no evidence has surfaced to date. One rumor even attributes this to Felton Jarvis before his death. What may have happened is that Elvis did some unrecorded loose run throughs of the song with the band in order to familiarize himself with it prior to actual recording. Then he got impatient with the band and went upstairs.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:15 pm

I have a CD which Jerry released about four years ago, which, if memory serves, includes Terry Mike Jeffrey singing a vocal on "There's A Fire Down Below." If I am not mistaken, there are about six tracks on the CD. I haven't dug it out in a while, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I will have to check my facts when I get home...

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:55 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Steve M -
Why do you say there were no lyrics written for There's A Fire Down Below at the time of the session?

Absolutely no idea, I don't even recall saying it, though I can see I did.

Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:25 pm

Steve -

You wrote:
Absolutely no idea, I don't even recall saying it, though I can see I did.

Come along, now, time for your nap.