Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Opening Night August 19th 1974.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:30 pm

I got this show on CD, a snowball release, and I think this is a great show.
The sound from this cd is pretty good and there are some good songs on there like Down in the Alley, If You Talk In Your Sleep, My Baby Left Me and It's Midnight.
Nice to hear a show with some different songs on it. Did he use this setlist for the entire august 74 engagement or did he change it?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:38 pm

This is a show that has been discussed on several occations. The show is extraordinary for at least three reasons; Also Sprach Zarathustra was omitted, the opening song was Big Boss Man (He usually opened with See See Rider and occationally with That´s All Right) and the songs Good Time Charlie´s Got The Blues and Down In The Alley was performed for the only time live in concert. The setlist is very strong and unusual, in fact so unusual that the audience was taken completely off guard and didn´t realise they witnessed a milestone show. The very next show unfortunately things were back to "normal"... :(

Sincerely MB280E

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:01 pm

That's a shame. It's a strong list as you already said, but I guess the people just wanted to hear the hits.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:40 am

Most of the songs from that opening show stayed in his setlists. Only Down in the Alley and Good Time Charlie were dropped completely.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:27 pm

Almost true.

He never performed Proud Mary or Never Been To Spain again either.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:18 pm

And My Baby Left Me...? Don´t think that song was performed again after this show either. Or am I wrong?

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:23 pm

I was going to add that one but you beat me.

You are right. Good job.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:25 pm

its sucha pity they alll wanted to hear the same old hits, and not appreciate his personal faves and artistic acheivements. its really quite sad :(

Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:37 pm

elvisjnr wrote:its sucha pity they alll wanted to hear the same old hits, and not appreciate his personal faves and artistic acheivements. its really quite sad :(

That's why he should have got himself the h*** out of the US and gone on a world tour!!!

Firstly, this would have been a major challenge for Elvis personally, and would have (hopefully) brought new sparks to his musical creativity.

Secondly, since Elvis had played Vegas and toured/ visited almost every thinkable venue in the US, the US audience somehow had become spoiled at this point.

Meaning; an audience overseas (or anywhere but in the US, for that matter!) would have appreciated any Elvis appearance/ performance a lot more!

Even if he had changed his setlist dramatically, and included less known songs, I believe that he would have been embraced no matter what!

Maybe strong words, but that's my opinion...

Now, US citizens: Be gentle with me on your replies!!! :wink: :lol:

Br
Kristian

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:12 pm

The fact is that a world tour would´ve given him the sort of a challange he needed, much as the comeback in ´68, the return to the stage before a live audience in August ´69 and the Aloha broadcast in January ´73.

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:28 pm

A Snowball release ?

So chances are Keith Flynn had this on his site already before it was released ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:06 pm

Steve_M wrote:A Snowball release ?

So chances are Keith Flynn had this on his site already before it was released ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and then the snowball just kept rolling... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Br
Kristian

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:15 pm

It's a bootleg label, probably European or Dutch if you don't know it.