Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis "Oxford American" CD / magazine

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:06 pm

Hi Gang,

I see Elvis is the cover-boy of the annual "Oxford American" Magazine. It's the always-excellent, Southern music issue. :lol:

Image

A free CD is included. Other artists featured on the disc are Al Green, Erma Franklin, Bessie Smith, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howard Tate, Zora Neale Hurston (yes, singing), Nat King Cole, Red Allen, Joe Tex, Loretta Lynn,Blind Willie McTell, The Wilburn Brothers, ILBURN Sammi Smith, Dale Hawkins, Moondog, The Art, Buddy Holly, Johnny Winter, Cowboy Jack Clement, and more. Quite a few of these are also featured in articles as well.

From the website:

There's not much that Elvis didn't achieve, but until this year, he'd never landed on an Oxford American CD. The cut? A six-minute live version of "Suspicious Minds"; made just days before the song hit the airwaves and record bins. You'll probably love this performance since there's nothing Las Vegas-schlocky about it; both Elvis and his band sound insanely red-hot. As Alan Light, former editor of SPIN, VIBE, and TRACKS, says in his perceptive companion piece, on this track "Elvis sang like a man with something to prove."

Despite the cheap shot, it looks like a good one.

P.S. Anyone overseas (or whereever) who wants to swap, drop me a P.M.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis on cover of "Oxford" with CD

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:18 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote: The cut? A six-minute live version of "Suspicious Minds"; made just days before the song hit the airwaves and record bins.


Do you know if it's a previously released version or not?

Jules

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:24 pm

This issue is famously delayed each year.

Must be a real slacker staff, but it's usually worth waiting for.

The newstand agent just told me it's delayed until August 21.

I'll keep you posted, folks.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:36 pm

I'm guessing it's the version used on In Person. Wasn't that recorded before Suspicious Minds was released? I don't have it here in work but if memory serves, Elvis says something like "....I hope you like it it's called Suspicious Minds", and it's a fairly long version.

K.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:54 pm

And I've seen even non- fans rave about this version (writer/ radio host Mike Barnicle of the Boston Herald and MSNBC), so I have a hunch it's that one, Kevin.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:59 pm

I think I'm going to go home now and have a listen to it. I haven't heard it in ages.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:36 am

Well, folks, the issue and CD has hit the newstands!

What a well-put together issue with plenty of interesting articles - more on the Elvis articles elsewhere. If you are a music lover, particularly American roots music, this issue is always a must, especially with Elvis on board!

It turns out not to be the "Elvis In Person" Lp version, but another one from that Vegas season.

So Track 27 (!) of 29 is "Suspicious Minds" from August 26, 1969, which first saw issue on RCA's disc one of the 2001 "Live in Las Vegas" box. The main Elvis article is all about Elvis in Vegas and specifically the advantages of this early live version.

What a nice package.

I've heard from some folks via PM, but anyone else can just contact me via PM to do a swap. :D

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:02 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Well, folks, the issue and CD has hit the newstands!

What a well-put together issue with plenty of interesting articles - more on the Elvis articles elsewhere. If you are a music lover, particularly American roots music, this issue is always a must, especially with Elvis on board!

It turns out not to be the "Elvis In Person" Lp version, but another one from that Vegas season.

So Track 27 (!) of 29 is "Suspicious Minds" from August 26, 1969, which first saw issue on RCA's disc one of the 2001 "Live in Las Vegas" box. The main Elvis article is all about Elvis in Vegas and specifically the advantages of this early live version.

What a nice package.

I've heard from some folks via PM, but anyone else can just contact me via PM to do a swap. :D


Greg:
I believe the version from the LILV box was from the August 24th Dinner show. So that must be the version found on the disc.

The definitive version remains the In person version.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:37 pm

Mike C wrote:The definitive version remains the In person version.


I prefer the LILV version, mainly because it's a little shorter - some of the live '69 versions just go on that little bit too long for my liking. I haven't heard the All Shook Up version yet....

Jules

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:14 pm

Mike, sorry about the error.

I transcribed the information from the magazine incorrectly: it is the August 24th show from LILV.

I'm going to have to make a comparison to see who is correct.

The author makes a strong case for the merits of this version.

Image

oxford cd

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:06 pm

it says in the magazine
August 24 , 1969
And that it is the same track that was on
Elvis:Live in Las Vegas
its over 6 minutes long.

it also says that the single was shipped out 2 days later on the 26th

i listhened to it yesterday. i liked it.
joe krein
elvis2001

Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:09 pm

sorry about that.
i see now that the question was answered
i am helping to promote this mag. was sent out a pile of the cd and mags.

joe krein
elvis2001

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:46 pm

How about those annoying, backhanded "anti-Vegas"
compliments directed at Elvis in this issue?


:evil:

Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:41 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:How about those annoying, backhanded "anti-Vegas"
compliments directed at Elvis in this issue?


:evil:


Perhaps they were written by Tom Jones!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:48 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Mike, sorry about the error.

I transcribed the information from the magazine incorrectly: it is the August 24th show from LILV.

I'm going to have to make a comparison to see who is correct.

The author makes a strong case for the merits of this version.

Image


No need to apologize, Greg. We are here to help one another.