Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
woodywoodpecker
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

elvis and the memphis mafia book

Post by woodywoodpecker »

there is a book called elvis and the memphis mafia due for release in september.its on a supermarket website in the uk.the most popular supermarket at that.its a rerelease of the 80s book written by 3 of the mafia.i read this book and i think it is the closest account of the true elvis.by interviewing 3 members at once they get a chance to discuss what they remember.usually we get an idea from 3 stories,a line of truth that runs down the middle.check it out if you haven't read it already .its cool.

Tom in North Carolina
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: elvis and the memphis mafia book

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

woodywoodpecker wrote:its on a supermarket website in the uk.the most popular supermarket at that.
Hmmmmmmm, aren't all those crappy tabloids sold in the supermarket as well??! Something to think about.

Tom

Topic author
woodywoodpecker
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by woodywoodpecker »

this isnt being sold in the supermarket.its available to order from their book site.just like other online book stores. i saw a first print on amazon for 90 pounds last week. i bought my first copy from waterstones.they dont sell tabloids.seriously,i isnt a watered down book.they are sincere in thier love for him.they just tell it the way it was. (its nothing like the red west book.)

Tom in North Carolina

This is the Alanna Nash, Billy Smith, Marty Lacker book, you're referring to, I assume?

Tom

Mark Nicholson
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Mafia

Post by Mark Nicholson »

Yeah, it sounds like we're talking about Revelations From The Memphis Mafia by Alanna Nash. Lamar Fike is the third member of the inner circle alongside Marty and Billy.

Published in 1995, this 900+ page book is a must have. It's quite amusing to see George Klein get dissed at various points ("pretty much a prick", "glorified pimp") - in fact, the guys slate and bitch about a quite lot of the people we associate with Elvis. It's also extremely painfully frank and brutal in places too... I found it harrowing to read how Joe Esposito was supposed to have tried to bust Elvis' teeth to give him mouth to mouth when his body was discovered for example.

I'd still recommend it...

"Whenever somebody gives me a gift, I like to compensate..."

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

woodywoodpecker wrote:this isnt being sold in the supermarket.its available to order from their book site.just like other online book stores. i saw a first print on amazon for 90 pounds last week. i bought my first copy from waterstones.they dont sell tabloids.seriously,i isnt a watered down book.they are sincere in thier love for him.they just tell it the way it was. (its nothing like the red west book.)
Anybody want to buy my first printing for half that price? :wink:

Luuk

Re: Mafia

Post by Luuk »

Mark Nicholson wrote:Yeah, it sounds like we're talking about Revelations From The Memphis Mafia by Alanna Nash. Lamar Fike is the third member of the inner circle alongside Marty and Billy.

Published in 1995, this 900+ page book is a must have. It's quite amusing to see George Klein get dissed at various points ("pretty much a prick", "glorified pimp") - in fact, the guys slate and bitch about a quite lot of the people we associate with Elvis. It's also extremely painfully frank and brutal in places too... I found it harrowing to read how Joe Esposito was supposed to have tried to bust Elvis' teeth to give him mouth to mouth when his body was discovered for example.

I'd still recommend it...
The guys took a nice revenge after being kicked out by Elvis.
Did anybody ever notice that Elvis kicked out all his "friends" from the Humes era? In the meantime the guys he became friends with in later years remained in Elvis' inner circle. Something to think about!

Ezz
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Ezz »

But he did not kick out Lamar and Billy.

I think this book is my fave out of all the sidekick books, though when i first read this book and the parts written by Billy Smiths wife, i found it hard to like Elvis for a short while.

Errol

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Mark -

You wrote:
I found it harrowing to read how Joe Esposito was supposed to have tried to bust Elvis' teeth to give him mouth to mouth when his body was discovered for example.
Joe doesn't tell it quite like that.

He reckons he never attempted mouth-to-mouth because Elvis' lips were clamped together and immovable.

On second thoughts, I guess the two versions could both be right.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Tom in North Carolina

ColinB wrote:......lips were clamped together and immovable.
That reminds me, I need to call my wife.

Tom

SouthPaw

Post by SouthPaw »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:

Tom
:lol: :lol:

"Ambition is a dream with a v8 engine" - Elvis

SouthPaw

Post by SouthPaw »

Luuk wrote:
woodywoodpecker wrote:this isnt being sold in the supermarket.its available to order from their book site.just like other online book stores. i saw a first print on amazon for 90 pounds last week. i bought my first copy from waterstones.they dont sell tabloids.seriously,i isnt a watered down book.they are sincere in thier love for him.they just tell it the way it was. (its nothing like the red west book.)
Anybody want to buy my first printing for half that price? :wink:
Aw, Luuk you sure hate certain MMM's don't ya!

"Ambition is a dream with a v8 engine" - Elvis

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

It's by far the best book ever written by any member of the MM. Essential if you want to know of the private life of Elvis.

You can get it at very reasonable price from here. Interesting that they have changed the title but it still appears to be the same book.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=bookall&searchstring=Memphis+mafia&page=search

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ignore Luuk, the Tom Parker apologist and Mafia hater. It is an essential purchase, and done with love and respect by Nash, with insights from Fike, Lacker and Smith. It's what 1977's "Elvis - What Happened?" should have been. But eighteen years earlier it was a very different time.

DJC

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Ignore Luuk, the Tom Parker apologist and Mafia hater. It is an essential purchase, and done with love and respect by Nash, with insights from Fike, Lacker and Smith. It's what 1977's "Elvis - What Happened?" should have been. But eighteen years earlier it was a very different time.

DJC
With friends like some of the MM who needs enemies?
They broke the trust Elvis gave them by telling all sorts of private things just to get even at Elvis for firing them.
If Elvis was so bad to them as they say in the books, they should have quit in 1961 instead of riding on the gravy train for so long which caused Elvis to work himself to death because, as Elvis said in an interview, "I have all these families to support so I cannot take a break for a year".
And without Colonel Parker we would be discussing Perry Como, Dean Martin or The Ink Spots.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Tom in North Carolina wrote:

Tom
Oh, the joys of marriage !

It's been so long, I nearly forgot !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Luuk wrote:And without Colonel Parker we would be discussing Perry Como, Dean Martin or The Ink Spots.
Not quite Luuk. Without Parker after the army we might be discussing where in the world Elvis is playing next month.

Ezz
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by Ezz »

"But eighteen years earlier it was a very different time.

DJC"

Genius Carpenter, genius.

Errol

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Ezz wrote:Genius Carpenter, genius.
I do what I can.

DJC

Post by 3577 »

Steve_M wrote:
Luuk wrote:And without Colonel Parker we would be discussing Perry Como, Dean Martin or The Ink Spots.
Not quite Luuk. Without Parker after the army we might be discussing where in the world Elvis is playing next month.
Exactly my thought, Steve.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

Maybe Elvis could be playing a Summer Festival in December here in Brazil....
I really don´t trust what these guys say about Elvis...so to me they don´t have any credits!

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Blue-Gypsy

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

Steve_M wrote:
Or receiving the type of accolades that Clint Eastwood is benefitting from in the twilight of his career.

Tony~

"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, Gay, Straight, Disabled and not disabled, Americans who send a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states. We are and always will be the United States of America."
-Barack Obama-

Blue-Gypsy

Post by Blue-Gypsy »

What about the book 'All The Kings Men'? Is this a good read?

Tony~

"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, Gay, Straight, Disabled and not disabled, Americans who send a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states. We are and always will be the United States of America."
-Barack Obama-

Delboy

Re: .

Post by Delboy »

Blue-Gypsy wrote:What about the book 'All The Kings Men'? Is this a good read?
I'm not sure there was a book, just the video box-set. I'm not sure if it has been released on DVD either as some people (myself included) don't have a VCR anymore. I haven't seen it so would be interested if anyone could post some info on it. I'd be interested to hear what Red West has to say, 18 years after the 'What Happened?' book.

Mark Nicholson

All The King's Men

Post by Mark Nicholson »

All The King's Men - basically six volumes lasting about an hour each with some more straight shooting from Lamar, Marty and Billy, plus Red and Sonny.

Visually it's not very exciting - it's mostly five old-looking guys talking Elvis with pictures and very brief home movie footage peppered here and there. Some great stories though, including one about Elvis and Juliet Prowse having intimate foolin' in his trailer - the guys would joke that Frank Sinatra was on the set of G I Blues in an attempt to interrupt their fun. Then one day Frank actually did drop on by - did Elvis believe the warning on that occasion? :lol:

There was one moment that sticks in my memory - at the end of vol one all five of the guys are sitting there blubbing. Unsettling and bizarre to see!

Not seen these tapes for about seven years - might dig them out now...

"Whenever somebody gives me a gift, I like to compensate..."