"We were taking a break and Elvis started fooling aroun

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
johngael

"We were taking a break and Elvis started fooling aroun

Post by johngael »

I was watching American Masters on PBS tonight and they featured Sam Phillips. Naturally they did a segment on Elvis. Part of that was an interview with Scotty Moore who recounted the first recording session that produced That's All Right Mama. I have heard the same story for 35 years now and I still love hearing it. I will never get tired of Scotty saying that Elvis was goofing off and then lightning struck. It still sends chills down my spine. Does anyone else feel the same way?

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Third Eye Blind were just on what a bunch of wanks. Its been a good show other than them.... does Rufus Thomas seem just a bit bitter???

OH great NOW Kid Rock :roll:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

carolynlm wrote:wouldn't it have been great to have been there?
Without a doubt!

When I was at Sun Studios in March, they played some outtakes from the Sun sessions and it gave me chills because I was standing exactly where Elvis stood and staring at the actual microphone that he used.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall on that magical night.

Renan

Post by Renan »

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall on that magical night.

Me too! With a camera filming everything :shock:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Marko

Post by Marko »

renanagulled wrote:I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall on that magical night.

Me too! With a camera filming everything :shock:
I feel the same way about the time when Ann Margaret and Elvis spend a night together. I would've been awesome to film that!

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Elvis' Babe
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

better than being a fly on the wall, i'd want to be one of his lucky girls... :lol:

(did i just say that?)

damn me not being born yet.

perhaps we will one day have a time machine and we can go back in time and wire high-def cameras in all the studios, concert arenas, and his houses. :lol:

i'd be the pathetic loser that would probably watch him reading a book, much less having an epiphany like the one he had on july 5, 1954. what would be even more mind-blowing is witnessing him record my happiness and when your heartaches begin in 1953.

Elvis-4-Ever

Post by Elvis-4-Ever »

Does anyone know why Scotty Moore didn't go on tour with Elvis in the 70's?
You would think he was the man that would play the guitar on those shows, especially after he did the 68 special with Elvis.
Didn't Scotty want to or didn't Elvis ask him?

Because you're all I have, my boy
You are my life, my pride, my joy
And if I stay, I stay because of you, my boy.

Topic author
Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Elvis-4-Ever wrote:Does anyone know why Scotty Moore didn't go on tour with Elvis in the 70's?
You would think he was the man that would play the guitar on those shows, especially after he did the 68 special with Elvis.
Didn't Scotty want to or didn't Elvis ask him?
Scotty (and D.J. Fontana) had a lot of session work in Nashville.
If they had taken a break in July (rehearsals) and August 1969 to be on stage with Elvis, they would have lost a lot of work. Not only in August 1969 but also in the months thereafter.
This is what Scotty and D.J. told at an Elvis convention when asked the same question.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Not only were their schedules on different tracks, but I don't think Scotty and D.J. fit with Elvis from '69 onward.

As talented as those guys were, their sound was not what Elvis was going for when he returned to live performing.

Eagle

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

I caught the last 20 minutes of this show last night. Good program.

As I was watching it struck me in a funny kind of way that of the really big names to come out of Sun (Elvis, Perkins, Cash, Rich, Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis), Lewis is the last one still alive.

If you we're to predict back then who would be the first to go it might have been Jerry Lee as he was such a hell raiser.

Just a thought

RKS

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I caught the last 20 minutes of this show last night. Good program.

As I was watching it struck me in a funny kind of way that of the really big names to come out of Sun (Elvis, Perkins, Cash, Rich, Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis), Lewis is the last one still alive.

If you we're to predict back then who would be the first to go it might have been Jerry Lee as he was such a hell raiser.

Just a thought

RKS
Yea, aint that a kick in the head.... only the good die young as they say!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

EagleUSA wrote:Not only were their schedules on different tracks, but I don't think Scotty and D.J. fit with Elvis from '69 onward.

As talented as those guys were, their sound was not what Elvis was going for when he returned to live performing.
You're right. Scotty Moore will go down in history as the guitar player who was there to help change rock-n-roll forever. However, as "gospel to our ears" as he was, Elvis made the right choice for the changing times when July, 1969 came around.