8%
At The International Hotel
31%
All Shook Up
10%

Total votes : 39

Vegas 69

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:57 am

If you could only have one (official) CD for this engagement out of those that have been released which would you keep based on performance?

The original In Person which does hold a special place in my collection
Live In Las Vegas - Collectors Gold (good but lazily pieced together - fade in/outs)
Live In Las Vegas box set disc 1
At The International Hotel - FTD
All Shook Up - FTD

Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:31 am

I found the latest FTD All Shook Up really nothing special. The sound was quite flat and Elvis'
voice is way too far out in front... distorted at some points. Elvis himself is fine. I'm grateful to have it as
a collector but it is probably at the bottom of my list for Vegas '69 releases... save AYLT and
Suspicious Minds (fine performance).

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:07 am

I voted for In Person.
But really, the best CD from the engagement is the Fort Baxter CD "Opening Night".
Less of the repetetive stage jokes, and more important - better delivery of the songs.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:12 am

R.R.Police wrote:I voted for In Person.
But really, the best CD from the engagement is the Fort Baxter CD "Opening Night".
Less of the repetetive stage jokes, and more important - better delivery of the songs.

Good call RRP.
Forgot about that show... excellent performance!

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:42 am

I voted for All Shook Up because of the rare performances of Rubberneckin' and This Is The Story.

Baxter's Opening Night is indeed the best of the bunch though.
Last edited by Rob on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:10 am

On Opening Night, he says something very curious. He mentions that its hard to get going on these dinner shows, everybody's... cant make it out but with the date cited as August 1st, this would be his first dinner show. An odd thing to say during the first one, wouldnt u say? something to think about eh?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:13 am

Baxter's Opening Night actually comes from the August 3, 1969 dinner show.

So at this point, he has played a couple of them already.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:03 pm

I voted in Collectors Gold just because we have more rarities there....

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:28 pm

If the OPENING NIGHT '69 cd was presented in a better way, i.e far better cover and remastered sound, this would have been the ultimate Vegas '69 show!

As it is, I tend to prefer the original ELVIS IN PERSON AT THE INTERNATIONAL HOTEL release, although it doesn't contain a complete show.

With a gun pointed at my head, I would have to choose ELVIS AT THE INTERNATIONAL, the FTD cd, if asked of favorite official complete show from this period.

Br
Kristian

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:48 pm

I voted for "In Person" because it was a compilation originally released on vinyl. That means they edited out most of the stage banter. Great songs. Committed performances. Contains my favorite "Live" version of "Suspicious Minds".

I don't care for the officially released complete shows.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:24 pm

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:If the OPENING NIGHT '69 cd was presented in a better way, i.e far better cover and remastered sound, this would have been the ultimate Vegas '69 show!

The whole point of the thread was to pick your favorite based on performance.

Don't let the sound quality or cover art persuade you to stray from your 1st choice. Performance only.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:25 pm

i would vote elvis in person if the sound was cleaned up .in my opinion it has the best ever suspicios minds and johnny b goode.of the complete shows i like live in las vegas disc1.it was such an energetic show.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:36 pm

woodywoodpecker wrote:i would vote elvis in person if the sound was cleaned up ..

Here we go again (no pun intended.)

Sound has nothing to do with this boys and girls. This is based on perfo......

I surrender.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:40 pm

Rob wrote:Baxter's Opening Night actually comes from the August 3, 1969 dinner show.

Why is it called opening night if it wasn't?
And is there a cd that contains the july 31st show or wasn't that recorded?

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:51 pm

Elvis-4-Ever wrote:Why is it called opening night if it wasn't?

Let's put it this way - bootleggers often don't let the facts get in the way of a sale!

Jules

Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:54 am

Elvis-4-Ever wrote:
Rob wrote:Baxter's Opening Night actually comes from the August 3, 1969 dinner show.

Why is it called opening night if it wasn't?

Who knows? The title certainly would attract more buyers. Regardless, the show is from the 3rd.

And is there a cd that contains the july 31st show or wasn't that recorded?

If there is, it has not surfaced in nearly 40 years following the magical event. If this show was not recorded, it has to be one of the most irresponsible blunders in the history of recorded music. I'm sure it was but.......WHERE IN THE HELL IS IT???!!!

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:26 am

I thought this show was actually from August 1st? :? Anyways I wish this was the CD that Fort Baxter would re-release, its truely great!

JEFF d
Elvis fan