Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mark James and Dennis Linde's original recordings?

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:20 pm

Hi everybody!

I like searching out original versions of songs that Elvis recorded to see where he got his inspirations from.

However, I have never been able to find the original singles with Mark James' own recordings of 'Suspicious Minds' or 'Moody Blue' or Dennis Linde's recording of 'Burning Love' - or any of their own recordings of the other songs they wrote, which Elvis recorded.

Does anyone have them and would be able to make me a tape or a CDR or can anyone guide to reissues with the recordings on them, or perhaps a place where you can download them?

All the best,
Jakob from Denmark

Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:40 pm

Another interesting find would be Tony Joe White's original Polk Salad Annie. I located this 45 single several years ago at a yard sale and it's fascinating to hear White's performance and comparing it with Elvis's.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:03 pm

Hi Jakob,

I saw Mark James in concert in Memphis at an Elvis tribute in August '89, and I recorded the show. He performed all of the songs that he wrote for Elvis.
The quality is "ok", and I'd be more than happy to send you a copy. Just contact me by PM.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:38 pm

On the same topic, I've always wanted to hear Red West's recording of "Indescribably Blue".
Apparently, he made a copy of it for Elvis to hear, when Elvis didn't feel like going into the studio ... I've heard its a surprisingly gentle, tender version of the song.

Mark James And Dennis Linde's Original recording

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:41 am

On Tony Joe White's Polk Salad Annie i found sometime back a video on the web he sings it a diff than Elvis does.
When Tony sings the song he uses a harmonica and a guitar

Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:54 pm

Mark James' version of Suspicious Minds was released on the cd Before They Were Hits or We Did It First, Vol. 2.

I don't know about Burning Love, but I have Arthur Alexander's version which probably was recorded after but released before Elvis' version.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:03 pm

Tony Joe White's material is easy enough to find on CD, at least here in Australia.
His original PSA is terrific, as are many of his more recent songs. Check 'em out.
I've got a Dennis Linde album, but it doesn't feature Burning Love. There is one song I particularly like called `Peaceful'. Not a bad album for its early 70s era.
rick

Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:04 pm

TCB TED wrote:On the same topic, I've always wanted to hear Red West's recording of "Indescribably Blue".
Apparently, he made a copy of it for Elvis to hear, when Elvis didn't feel like going into the studio ... I've heard its a surprisingly gentle, tender version of the song.

You might have already heard Red singing If Every Day Was Like Christmas from the same session, but if not it's here:

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/co ... onel/8.ram

Not a bad voice.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:24 pm

To be honest I think Elvis did a clean rip off Tony Joe's vocal on Polk Sallad Annnie, when I heard TJW original for the first time many years after listened to Elvis I't kind of dissipoint me that Elvis made a rip off and not added anything to the song himself........guess you all like to kill me now........

Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:28 pm

The original Polk Salad Annie is avalable on Ebay (where else!) at the moment for a whopping 99c if anyone is interested..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tony-Joe-White-Polk-Salad-Annie-7-Swinging-Medallions_W0QQitemZ4754598665QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kev.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:32 pm

blue boy wrote:To be honest I think Elvis did a clean rip off Tony Joe's vocal on Polk Sallad Annnie, when I heard TJW original for the first time many years after listened to Elvis I't kind of dissipoint me that Elvis made a rip off and not added anything to the song himself........guess you all like to kill me now........

Why would we kill you when your voicing your opinion? I've listened to TJW's version and to me, Elvis' is way better.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:15 pm

I have a Tony Joe White 'best of' compilation, and it's a fine collection! In addition to Polk Salad Annie it also feature's White's versions of For Ol' Time's Sake and I've Got A Thing About You Baby.
Elvis' original live version of PSA from Feb. '70 is different from White's version in that Elvis extends the funky instrumental that follows the 'sock a little' and 'chang chang-a-lang' bits so he could gyrate to it. But this song was perfect for Elvis, as was Joe South's Walk A Mile In My Shoes (I sure do wish he had done South's Games People Play or Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home).

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi again!

Thanks, Claus, for the tip about this CD. I will try to locate it.

Regarding Tony Joe White, there's a terrific CD called 'The Best Of Tony Joe White' from Warner Archives. Besides Polk Salad Annie, it also has Rainy Night In Georgia, I've Got A Thing About You Baby and For Ol' Times Sake.

All the best,
Jakob

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:31 pm

This cd does have a pretty nice songlist:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=ti ... g=48&pa=sr

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:04 pm

TJ wrote:
TCB TED wrote:On the same topic, I've always wanted to hear Red West's recording of "Indescribably Blue".

You might have already heard Red singing If Every Day Was Like Christmas from the same session, but if not it's here:

http://jordans-elvis-world.com/audio/co ... onel/8.ram

Not a bad voice.

Thanks, TJ, but unfortunately the link isn't working. :cry:

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:26 pm

Claus wrote:Mark James' version of Suspicious Minds was released on the cd Before They Were Hits or We Did It First, Vol. 2.

I don't know about Burning Love, but I have Arthur Alexander's version which probably was recorded after but released before Elvis' version.

Any more details about these CD's, like label/ordernumber/where available?

For the originals I am looking for please check my website.
Exchange for the ones I have is possible!

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:59 pm

Skjernaa,

If you really are interested in the originals recorded before Elvis recorded them ..or songs he would like to have recorded or considered..then visit.

http://users.pandora.be/davidneale/elvi ... index.html

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:23 am

Luuk wrote:
Claus wrote:Mark James' version of Suspicious Minds was released on the cd Before They Were Hits or We Did It First, Vol. 2.

Any more details about these CD's, like label/ordernumber/where available?

For the originals I am looking for please check my website.
Exchange for the ones I have is possible!

The "Before they were hits" is OOP. I've been looking for it for quite some time. I actually ordered a copy through Amazon marketplace but I never received it and got a refund.

Arthur Alexander's version of Burning Love can be found on:

Rainbow Road: The Warner Bros. Recordings (Warner Archives 9 45581-2).

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:33 am

blue boy wrote:To be honest I think Elvis did a clean rip off Tony Joe's vocal on Polk Sallad Annnie, when I heard TJW original for the first time many years after listened to Elvis I't kind of dissipoint me that Elvis made a rip off and not added anything to the song himself........guess you all like to kill me now........

Have to agree! He nicked it lock, stock and barrell! But hey, who's complaining! With a few exceptions, Elvis always outdid the originals when he covered a song.