More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Elvis on Tour on DVD (well, sort of)

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

This was sent to me this morning:

Many fans around the world have already experienced quite a bit of negativity when contacting the Official British Fan Club about the upcoming release on DVD of the Making of Elvis On Tour and Mr. Slaughter (the illustrious club leader) is very much sticking to his usual business ethics of "If you want this DVD, you have to be a member of MY club in order to purchase it!"

I live in the United States, so why should I have to pay $30.00 to join a fan club in another country and then pay another $40.00 in order to buy this DVD? What the UK fan club is asking is for me (and others) to pay $70.00 for one DVD! I am sorry Mr. Slaughter, that just ain’t gonna happen.

If this DVD is indeed being released through the ‘Triangle’ label, then it must be a bootleg release, so why is the Official UK club the only place on Gods green earth that we can obtain this release? It all seems like a dodgy deal to me!

This release is supposedly an exclusive deal between the UK club and the people at ‘Triangle’ and yet there are copies appearing on eBay already, is this a two sided scam from the club in order to appear to have an exclusive release and yet throw out several copies on eBay for the fans?

And what is the deal with the legality of this release? EPE and BMG use the UK club for all their promotions and Todd Slaughter even gets to write album notes for BMG releases! So, either EPE and BMG are turning a blind to open trading in bootlegs or there could be a loop hole in this release which could be along the same lines as the excellent release Return To Splendour, where we will get lots of great footage but with no soundtrack, instead, this will be replaced with a narrator and a backing track?

But that still does not answer the legal side of the footage? Well the clue could be in the wording on the flyer. The UK fan club flyer states; “a two hour DVD special featuring a selection of previously unseen footage of Elvis in rehearsals, off stage, on stage, in the studio and on the road, all shoot during the making of MGM’s Elvis: On Tour.”

The only way I can see the UK club being allowed to sell such a release is if the footage is taken from private home movie footage and as mentioned previously, being produced along the same lines as Return To Splendour. If I am wrong and the footage is official MGM footage with original sound then I am lost for words as to how this is being released so openly? But either way, the fact that millions of fans around the world are being penalised by not belonging to the UK club is a total and utter disgrace and Mr. Slaughter should reconsider his policy, because all it comes down to is that he thinks it is a good ploy to bump up his membership and boost his coffers?

He could have easily advertised the DVD at £20.00 for club members and £25.00 for non members, at least then the Official Elvis Club in the UK would be seen to be giving each and every Elvis fan in the world the chance to own this footage. But now I guess I and thousands like me will just have to wait till some enterprising fan chucks out copies on Ebay for half the price.

Tom

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

I wasn´t aware that only people assocciated to fan club can purchase the DVD.. :?

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

I've never heard of the Making of Elvis On Tour DVD, and was hoping that our friends across the pond could shed some light on this one.

Tom

Susan

Post by Susan »

i just heard that they will release Elvis on Tour.
Nothing more nothing less

Topic author
Tom in North Carolina

Susan wrote:i just heard that they will release Elvis on Tour.
Nothing more nothing less
Source?

Tom

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Tom, Susan's source is...you. Well, she's "trying."

I agree with the author of the letter that Mr. Slaughter's venture seems a bit off.

It's either official or not. Doesn't seem legit to me.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Well,somebody on here said that this footage can be bought legitimately but you've got to know how,so maybe Todd knows how.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

You can even see a trailer for it.... on that errrr site that we can't mention here.... it ends with gold think guys think! I couldn't believe that their was actually a trailer! WTF?????

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Yeah,but it doesn't show anything unreleased,does it?

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Dat true, its probably just a re-edit job of all the available footage.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

EPCOLLECTOR wrote:Purchasing through legal means for PRIVATE use, does not give rights to publicly broadcast or resell the material purchased. That would have to based on the legal contract drawn up at the time of purchase.

EPCOLLECTOR
Yes, we understand that, thats why we are confused, on this matter.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Its probably just a edit job on the original film to edit out the ol guy at the elevator! I like him though they should leave him in the film, I always think of Colin B now whenever I see him on TV! Hes cool, and hes an Elvis fan too!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Do you think that their may be a slight chance that the people at Turner are working with the English fan club..... to see how a project like this would go over? Since they effed up the TTWII SE marketing so badly?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Threads and posts about this in the past have been deleted. The flyer states footage 'never seen before' and it is a 2 hour 'making of', not the original film. I'm staggered about the openness with which this release is being flaunted. As I said on a previous thread and is suggested on Tom's post, there is a certain amount of credibility attached to the UK fan club in that they do work with EPE/BMG. It's all very hush hush although I believe the Dutch fan club are planning to show the footage at a convention in October. When you think the TTWII footage was being touted for a grand and this is £20, we'll find out soon enough.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

JEFF d wrote:Its probably just a edit job on the original film to edit out the ol guy at the elevator! I like him though they should leave him in the film, I always think of Colin B now whenever I see him on TV! Hes cool, and hes an Elvis fan too!

JEFF d
Elvis fan
Amen. Just another Elvis fan!

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Jeff -

You wrote:
...the ol guy at the elevator! I like him though they should leave him in the film, I always think of Colin B now whenever I see him on TV!
......err...... why ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Gregory Nolan Jr.

It's the female fans who are especially spooky. He's a good egg.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

ColinB wrote:Jeff -

You wrote:
...the ol guy at the elevator! I like him though they should leave him in the film, I always think of Colin B now whenever I see him on TV!
......err...... why ?
I'm sorry don't get mad! lol Just pulling yer leg!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan