Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

All Shook Up - FTD

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:06 pm

What happened to 'What'd I say' why was it edited from the CD? Also does anyone know why Elvis always made jokes about Squirrels and Wooley Booleys? What are Wooley Booleys?

Jasper.

Re: All Shook Up - FTD

Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:17 pm

jasper wrote:What happened to 'What'd I say' why was it edited from the CD?

I think we came to the conclusion that it wasn't edited because it actually wasn't played that night despite prior claims that it was and bootlegs with that track on the end (presumably from another performance).

Jules

Wooly Booger

Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:33 pm

'Wooly Booger' is another name for the mythical North American giant ape-like creature, aka Big Foot. As per the reference to squirrels, Elvis was making fun of his reputation for long hair.

More information is available at http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

Chris

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:03 pm

You may have "justfuckinggoogle"d, but I can all but assure you that Elvis was not talking about bigfoot or his own long hair.

The reason I can't say this with certainty is that Elvis is, of course, basically talking nonsense for fun and could mean anything.

But in the American vernacular, a wooly/woolly booger/bugger rarely has anything to do with bigfoot, occasionaly with late-night, last-minute legislation and sometimes with a fishing lure -- but it's far more often a joking reference about somebody who's wild and/or crazy, drawing on "woolly" -- in the sense of "boisterous" -- and "bugger" -- as in "rascal" -- or "booger" -- as in "a terrifying person" -- depending on who you choose to believe. Regardless, take it from an American, it's pretty unlikely Elvis was thinking of bigfoot or anything resembling it.

Similarly, being a squirrel or squirrelly doesn't have anything to do with being hairy, it also just means you're wild and crazy. Again, who knows what Elvis meant, but it's clear from the context that he's implying that people think he's eccentric, silly or nutty -- not that he's hairy.

Maybe these expressions are so American that they don't translate well, but I'm confident that any American -- especially those with roots in the South like mine -- will back me up.

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:22 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:or "booger" -- as in "a terrifying person"

And what is the entymology that links 'booger' to 'terrifying person' ?

Oh yeh, that mythical creature I was talking about. QED.

Thanks for the additional information to support my original explanation.

Chris

Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:36 pm

Sorry, you may persist in believing that Elvis was referring to people as bigfoots, if you like. It makes no difference either way.

You also may carry on believing that we Americans are talking about erasers when we mention rubbers.

But if I were from Bristol discussing what a Mississippi/Tennessee boy was saying, I'd talk to a Southerner before I'd jump to a QED.

"Booger" goes back to "boogeyman" or "bogeyman," which I'm sure we can all agree didn't originate with bigfoot.

Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:18 pm

I love Americans. They are so easy to wind up.

Oh, sorry. You may have to refer back to a Bristol boy to understand the origin of the phrase 'wind up'.

Thanks for making me smile. It's been a dull day.

Chris

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:04 am

Actually, I think the reference to "Squirrels" refers to someone who is "just outta' the trees" as Elvis says in some of the '69 shows. Squirrels live "in the woods" and so do many of us Southerners, so this makes sense. As for "What'd I Say," maybe it's just me, but I think I can hear an edit just after "Suspicious Minds" and just before the long ovation where the song was taken out. If you listen for it, I think you'll hear what I'm talking about. Still, we may never know for sure unless Ernst tells us. TCB!

Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:58 pm

Thanks to elvissessions.com whoever you are but your explanation soungs very viable. As to "What Id Say" it has been cut out of the CD because I have the audience recording of this show and it is definately on so why FTD cut it I do not know.

Jasper.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:15 pm

I reckon wclyles is closest.

These references of Elvis to "squirrels" and sometimes "squirrely" and "just outta the trees", surely mean someone a little further back on the evolutionary time-line than the rest of us.

It's a jokey way of saying someone who's a bit "hillbilly" or "rural" perhaps a "country bumpkin".

That's my slant on it anyway.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:35 pm

jasper wrote:Thanks to elvissessions.com whoever you are but your explanation soungs very viable. As to "What Id Say" it has been cut out of the CD because I have the audience recording of this show and it is definately on so why FTD cut it I do not know.

Jasper.

Jasper

But are you sure that What'd I Say? is from the same concert? Might it be a bonus track added to the end of the recording?

Jules

Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:53 pm

Its definately in the concert thats probably a good thing about those audience recordings - if you can live with the poor sound quality you do at least get a complete show.

Jasper.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:05 pm

Although I agree with you on What`d I Say..you can`t say that every aud.rec.is complete......not at all...!!

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:18 pm

jasper wrote:Its definately in the concert thats probably a good thing about those audience recordings - if you can live with the poor sound quality you do at least get a complete show.

Jasper.

Are you really really really sure that it's the same show?
These 69 shows kinda sound a like. Just listen to Elvis at the International and this one. Lots of the same jokes and remarks by Elvis. Also about the squirrel thing.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:19 pm

Wooly boogers or swamp boogers are nicknames for sasquatch-like creatures in the southern swamplands.
In the north booger has an entirely different meaning. It's what nose-pickers pick for! :oops:

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:26 pm

Elvis says during the show that they are taping it for a live album. Which album is that or did they use songs from various nights to make an album and which album is that then. :D

Ps. Funny to hear him burp during the show. He says, excuse me but I haven't been on stage for 9 years. hehe

Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:35 pm

Elvis-4-Ever wrote:Elvis says during the show that they are taping it for a live album. Which album is that or did they use songs from various nights to make an album and which album is that then. :D

Elvis In Person (album 1 of From Memphis to Vegas/Back In Memphis). And yes they did use songs from various shows.

Jules