How Great Thou Art - June 19th 1977.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Steve_M

How Great Thou Art - June 19th 1977.

Post by Steve_M »

Here's another clip I knocked up today from the various sources available so that all aangles are included in the same shot along with better sound.

Thanks as always to the person who leant me the various tapes, the one and the only RockinRebel!
So don't ask him if you can borrow them - coz I've got them ! :lol:

Hers the link: removed

Give it a couple of mins to buffer, it should auto start playing when it has enough. Goes into split screen after about 50 seconds. Total playing time 3 mins 15 secs. Windows Media Player compatible clip.
Last edited by Steve_M on Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Thank you! That was a real treat! Very nice work.

Eagle

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Steve -

Thanks for that !

Sad to see him looking so ill.

And he sure needed that help on that last note !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Colin, on that last note, I like to think of that as Elvis being generous and letting someone else have a go. :wink:

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

I've always wondered why that same song on the "Elvis in concert" CD sounds so different and doesn't have the same live feel.

I believe the entire backing orchestra and backing vocals seem to have been re-recorded for this release, they did not use the original ones!

That CD is such a sonic mess, it even gets worse for the bonus songs on the LP sides 3+4. Probably the reason why it won't be upgraded...

Renan

Post by Renan »

Our boy really made a good job in my opinion...his voice was very good..
Very nice to see the difference in the footage quality..

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

thenexte wrote:I've always wondered why that same song on the "Elvis in concert" CD sounds so different and doesn't have the same live feel.

I believe the entire backing orchestra and backing vocals seem to have been re-recorded for this release, they did not use the original ones!
Sorry, my fault, I didn't really give any info on it. The sound has been taken from the import CD that I used to make that clip. It does not come from the RCA release.

Although opinions differed some believed the original LP release to have been one which RCA used their feed at the concerts as the source. This cannot be the case. See See Rider has a tiny jump at the beginning which is exactly where CBS made an edit cut from the 21st to the 19th.
That song as released by RCA and shown on the original broadcast was an edit made by CBS it therefore cannot have been a single recording of the song by Elvis and recorded independantly by RCA.

I think that's why the sound is a mess. It was just about acceptable on the original LP - heck I played it over and over when it came out - by any other medium is going to have a disappointing result on it.

The best resolution of footage used in the clip was taken from a copy of the broadcast and left almost untouched, the other footage that appears alongside it in the clip is from the June 19th out takes and has had some quite extensive attempts by me to get it looking reasonable. Alas this is not wholey possible but it is an improvement on what is actually on the tape.

iamhekev

Post by iamhekev »

Rockin" rebel...

Not as good as RAISED ON ROCK tho.

:(

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Steve_M wrote:Colin, on that last note, I like to think of that as Elvis being generous and letting someone else have a go. :wink:
Now that's a good way to look at it Steve!!!!! In fact, when I walked in on my ex-wife and best friend going at it......I saw it just the same way. I'm just too too generous :wink:

As for the clip.......I HAVE to get rid of this dial-up. We'll have the EOT SE 5 disk set before I can see it :lol: But I've already seen some of your work on this in the past, and you do an amazing job with it!!!!

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Scatter wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Colin, on that last note, I like to think of that as Elvis being generous and letting someone else have a go. :wink:
Now that's a good way to look at it Steve!!!!! In fact, when I walked in on my ex-wife and best friend going at it......I saw it just the same way. I'm just too too generous :wink:
Did you manage to hit the same note when you saw them - or was that him then hitting that note ? :lol:

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Another clip saved. Thanks for it.

KevinK

Post by KevinK »

That was cool Steve, thanks. I'd never seen that performance at all.

Kev.

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Wow Kevin, really ? Well in that case I'm glad I did it for that reason alone! That's cool that you hadn't seen it before in that respect, makes it worthwhile doing it.

I just assume that fans have seen it and that I'm just offering something a little more complete than what they've seen, or heard.

Well Kevin, what you want next ? your shout and I'll do it.

KevinK

Post by KevinK »

Cheers Steve!

I'd love to see some really cool amatuer footage with sound. I don't collect VCD's so I'm missing out in that respect.

Judging from that last clip, anything you can do will be a treat!

Kev.

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Sorry Kevin, i meant from Elvis In Concert - that's what's loaded at the moment on my gizmo.

However, you can have a bonus as I think I might have some amatuer bits and bobs where I have done the sound....watch this space.

In the meantime pick another EIC moment. :wink:

Topic author
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Great clip Steve! Thanks! 8)

Next up.....'Early Morning Rain'

(He's not talking to You - The Management) :D

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Delboy -

Hey - that's not a genuine comment from The Management !

They always use square brackets !

(We vary it sometimes - The Management)

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

KevinK

Post by KevinK »

Well.. How about 'That's Alright'? I have seen that, but from what i remember it's mainly focused on Elvis' face, so other camera angles on that would be cool. If you can get any more of the two honeys dancing on their chairs aswell, that'd be great :D

Topic author
Torben

Post by Torben »

Steve

Thanks for the clip.

And prepare for the next shock.

I've never seen that performance, too.

Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Hey Steve.....I finally managed to see it through the buffering (damn dial-up :evil: ). A great job!!!

Topic author
jess wade

Post by jess wade »

Steve you work is excellent you have done a great job on that . what software do you use?

thanks for sharing that.

jess :D

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Steve,

I guess this is part of the problem with the EIC footage. Those of us lucky enough to have a copy - no matter how bad the quality, sometimes assume everyone's seen it.

Some people don't have DVD players, only VHS. Others maybe don't know where to get hold of a copy, and don't want to risk being ripped off with a 20th generation copy on EBay.

This, for me, is one of the most compelling reasons for some sort of official release of the footage - to ensure those fans that want to see it are able to purchase a quality product in great quality.

Thanks to the generosity, and spirit of people like yourself, and Christian, there are places to go to see it on the web, but it's not the same as watching it at home on TV.

JYM

Post by JYM »

In the EIC album, the MIX is different. That's it. RCA just put the girls in front and their mix is excellent.

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

JYM, I dunno how RCA did that when the audio source had to be the CBS tapes themselves as the LP was an exact copy of the broadcast which had songs editted together from the two different shows.

Maybe they could by adjusting the EQ or something, I dunno.

Darryl, my aim is to get this onto DVD, has been since last year. But I want the fans to have it all and the best version that can be made without breaking into the Graceland vaults to get it.

I want fans to have the full monty, all available footage from both shows, pinching it from the broadcast if it's not on the out takes and then a copy of the original broadcast as it was, then a bonus selection of 1977 concert clips - that should be two DVD's worth and then i want to include a booklet to go with it inside the DVD case.

JYM

Post by JYM »

I don't know exactly but probably RCA took the same audio tracks and did their own mix. Does someone know about that?