Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hurt-done twice

Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:21 am

Hi. What is your take Elvis performing Hurt twice in a row during 1976? I was listening to him perform this earlier today and it got me thinking. You never see any artists today, or even in the past for that matter, performing a song like that two times in a row.

I know fan reaction to this song, for the most part, was always positive, which im sure prompted Elvis to sing it again. But I'm just wondering what others think about this.

Thanks,
Kevin

Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:09 am

I have seen Neil Diamond in concert and he sang "Forever In Blue Jeans" and "Sweet Caroline" back to back. It is definitely uncommon. I think that Elvis can be given credit for doing any sort of reprise during a concert. Maybe that took the place of doing an encore.

Unfortunately, this is one of the very few numbers that Elvis actually put his heart and soul into in the final two years of performing; many have hypothesized this due to the fact that it seems like the song written by Roy Hamilton could have come out of Elvis' own diary. Two and one half years after the divorce, Elvis still felt hurt over the fact that Priscilla left him for another man. During his concerts, Elvis knew that no matter how poory he performed, the crowd would always remember that dramatic and heartfelt song entitled "Hurt."

Elvis Fan

Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:44 am

"Hurt" is also under 2 minutes. It goes by so quick I can see him doing it again just to savor the vocality of it once more.

Yeh!

Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:47 pm

I think Elvis performed the reprise of "Hurt" during 1976
because he really enjoyed singing the song and he loved the big
ending - more so than doing it for the fans.
Same goes for reprising the ending on "Bridge" or "How Great Thou Art"
- he loved those powerful endings.

Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:35 pm

[quote="Elvis Fan"]I have seen Neil Diamond in concert and he sang "Forever In Blue Jeans" and "Sweet Caroline" back to back. It is definitely uncommon. I think that Elvis can be given credit for doing any sort of reprise during a concert. Maybe that took the place of doing an encore.

Unfortunately, this is one of the very few numbers that Elvis actually put his heart and soul into in the final two years of performing; many have hypothesized this due to the fact that it seems like the song written by Roy Hamilton could have come out of Elvis' own diary. Two and one half years after the divorce, Elvis still felt hurt over the fact that Priscilla left him for another man. During his concerts, Elvis knew that no matter how poory he performed, the crowd would always remember that dramatic and heartfelt song entitled "Hurt."

Elvis fan, "Hurt" wasn't written by Roy Hamilton. The songwriters were Jimmie Crane & Al Jacobs. Roy Hamilton did have a hit record with "Hurt."

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:02 am

Man, I just love the reprise of Hurt! Just listen to the ones of the last few December '76 shows and you'll have goosbumps in no-time....

I'm also a sucker for the "Let Me Be There" reprise. From the first time I heard that reprise on the Moody Blue album, it was one of my favourite live performances...

and of course, any reprise of How Great Thou Art is stunning :)

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:28 pm

I agree that “Hurt” was probably one of the few songs Elvis still had a real interest in performing by the time it was added to his stage act, and even during the weakest of shows he always seemed to dig a little deeper for that song and put in a good performance.

This also shows that despite all Elvis’ problems at the end, if he was still interested in the material, he was still capable of great performances.