Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis By The Presleys - What Take No ?

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:38 pm

What with my computer being stolen [and my backup being a bit out-of-date] I've been having fun trying to update my notes on Elvis releases.

On the Love, Elvis CD - I remember it being discussed on here that the 'previously unreleased' Take 3 of For The Good Times was another take number.

Or was it Take 3 but not 'unreleased' ?

Yeah, it's all coming back now, unreleased only refers to mainstream issues & not FTD !

Was this ever resolved ? Have I answered my own question ?

Tried search but it brings up too many posts !
Last edited by ColinB on Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:41 pm

Take 3

or master with out over dubs

eh,

Hope this helps colin

:oops:

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:45 pm

KEV -

Thanks, mate !

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:46 pm

On the Love, Elvis should be take 3, Colin. It has been released already on 6363 Sunset. Take 2 is on Platinum and one of the Time Life Releases. The master was take 4 if I'm not mistaken.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:00 pm

Taniolo -

Thanks !

It came to me in the end, with the release of Love, Elvis we learned that 'previously unreleased' means 'previously unreleased on a mainstream CD' !

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:06 pm

Your wecome colin....

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:38 pm

Speaking of Love, Elvis...
I just bought this CD this afternoon - after having passed on it for a long time (you know, the old "have all the songs on dozens of CDs already" excuse). But I must say I was sooo happily surprised with the CD.
Of course, another Love song collection isn't exactly what the Elvis world needed, but that's another discussion. But soundwise, this CD really impressed me, and was worth the money. The remastering of "And I love you so" made the song shine. It almost sounded like it could've been recorded yesterday.
I really wish BMG would remaster the whole Elvis catalogue this way (they started out so well earlier this year...).
We really don't need any more compilations and "best of..." albums, just please give us the original albums in this great quality. What a great way to clean up the somewhat messy Elvis catalogue available at the moment.

Bjorn

Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:05 pm

Hey - I'm on Elvis By The Presleys now !

So I changed the header !

Didn't know you could do that !

[Bit cheeky - The Management]

So, You've Lost That Loviing Feeling sounds like the usual one from TTWII which was 12th August, 1970, Midnight Show.

But they list it as 13th August !

Surely not an unreleased version ?

Doesn't sound like it to these old ears.

Anyone ?

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:16 pm

John -

Well, I was going by the [usually] excellent TTWII Research Section on the Elvis World - Japan site !

Midnight Shows are normally dated the same as the preceding Dinner Show, although technically, it's the next day !

I wonder if this where the confusion has arisen ?

I mean, Tunzi & Ernst saying different things !

John, if you are the guy with the foreign-sounding surname, you kindly sent me a part of your database which dealt specifically with the 18 singles release.

Would love to have the whole she-bang !

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 am

Colin, there was a bit of furor over RCA's manipulation of the term "unreleased" as FTD's do count, even if they are not mass releases.

Like Rockin' Rebel and others, I was quite sore over "Love, Elvis" being yet another retread - of "love" songs, no less.

But if I see it cheap, I might get it - just to hear the apparently nice DSD sound.

Don't tell anyone. :oops:

PS I broke down and bought EBTP for the second disc of rarities (some also previously released!) but think "..Loving Feeling" is a familar version. They don't say otherwise, either.

They also botched the credits for "It's Over" as I recall. It's not the "Aloha" version as the notes mentioned. Whoops!

A lot of us would play "fact-checker" .......for free! :evil:

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:59 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I was quite sore over "Love, Elvis" being yet another retread - of "love" songs, no less. But if I see it cheap, I might get it - just to hear the apparently nice DSD sound.

Too late Greg! This will be filed in the 'to be referenced when it's convenient' section.:D

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:45 am

Any chance you'd be willing to send a copy my way (elvissessions.com@elvis.com)? I'd love to look at a master's work.

I'd offer my pale effort in exchange, but it's always available online, so I figure if you had any interest in it, you'd probably have it by now.

Thank you.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:43 am

John -

Yes, e-mail it if you can !

Still at the old address.

Thanks !

Greg -

You wrote:
They also botched the credits for "It's Over" as I recall. It's not the "Aloha" version as the notes mentioned. Whoops!

The booklet says it's the 17th Feb. 1972 version we already had on Live In Las Vegas ?

But it sounds like the 'Aloha' one !

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:55 pm

John -

Got it !

Thanks a million !

I know it's not an easy thing to hand over 'just like that' something that's taken a lifetime of work to prepare.

I'll compare it with my listing so we can iron out any discrepancies.

Unfortunately, I started mine in 'Word' - not so user-friendly for this type of info.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:24 pm

ColinB:

The booklet says it's the 17th Feb. 1972 version we already had on Live In Las Vegas ?

But it sounds like the 'Aloha' one !

Now I got that backwards. Thanks for the correction, mate. They did goof...!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:33 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:I have the TTWII version as M/S Show 13th August, which is the same one as on the EBTP CD. Ernst has it as the 13th M/S while Tunzi has it as the 12th M/S

RCA only recorded six shows, starting from the Opening Show on August 10 to the Dinner Show on the 13th.

Ernst corrected his information in the FTD book 'The Way It Was', that "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" from "TTWII" was recorded at the August 12 Midnight Show. He originally had it as being recorded at the August 13 Midnight Show in 'A Life In Music'.

The version on "Elvis By The Presleys" is the same performance as on "TTWII". Maybe he's using his old notes!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:40 pm

John,

Thanks for the spreadsheet.

Clearly I have some studying to do.

It's interesting to see how different people can take such different approaches. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Great work. I look forward to reviewing all of it.

Thanks again.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:29 pm

http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lis ... corded.htm

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:17 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:But if I see it cheap, I might get it - just to hear the apparently nice DSD sound.

AH HA!! And you busted my balls for buying it used!! LOL :wink:

JEFF d
Elvis fan