Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Anyone heard the new Audionics CD?

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:18 am

Was wondering if anyone has heard this CD yet and if they could rate the sound quality.

Thanks,

Darrell

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:52 pm

Yeah,I also wanna know this.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:04 pm

I honestly was very disspointed with the sound of their 2 other cds.....tooooooooooooo way flat!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:20 pm

Be glad we get some soundboard material released by a boot label. Remember, it wasnt recorded for release in the first place. Also we dont know what generation they used.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:23 pm

3577 -

That's what I keep saying!

Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:16 am

So, no one has heard it yet?

3577: The Imort News said of this release that the CD has been made from 1st generation tapes. So we'll see.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:21 pm

I am listening to it now for the first time. First off let me say that I am gald for any new soundboard material!!!

Hartford sound is good but a little flat IMO.
Pine Bluff is similar, but only one Elvis medley and a clipped intro version of Kathy.
Jackson & Dayton are a bit more hissy.

Overall I would say that the sound quality is a bit disappointing, nowhere near those heady DAE days!!!

anyone heard

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:55 pm

Heard parts at a friends place this morning . They must have saved quite a bit on money by not cleaning the tapes any better. Its a very middle of the road product that could have been a lot better had "they" paid more time and money to improve the tape- soundquality.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:59 pm

That's a shame, it defeats the whole point of having a 1st generation tape if it is to be released "as is" as it might as well have been a multi generation tape.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:09 pm

so the sound is average soundboard,how about the performances by Elvis?Any highlights?

Re: anyone heard

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Heard parts at a friends place this morning . They must have saved quite a bit on money by not cleaning the tapes any better. Its a very middle of the road product that could have been a lot better had "they" paid more time and money to improve the tape- soundquality.

In my opinion they didnt do too much with their latest two soundboards. But hey, rather have a ''raw'' soundboard then a ''try to clean up audience''.

anyone heard

Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:29 pm

Since when is RAW the same as dull and hissy ?!

Ger Rijff / dull & hissy

Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Mr. Rijff, read this excerpt from review of GOODBYE MEMOPHIS on Norwegian site:

"On the 1977 concert recording the sound is awful in a very digital way like it has been treated with heavy compression on the Real Audio format before it reached Fort Baxter. Unfortunately (or luckily, depends on how you see it) Elvis' performance match the sound quality. Uninspired, tired..."

The same is possible to say about, for example, DESERT STORM. Sound denoised to death, an Cool Edit noise reduction orgy.

The fact that some recording remains a bit hissy doesn't mean that it wasn't denoised. It depends on the source quality and on the decision - how deep is possible to go and not destroy the ambience and natural sound. It's not neccessary to go that deep - the final result is often real holocaust, "star wars" sound, ringing sound... guess you know what I mean.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:32 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Since when is RAW the same as dull and hissy ?!

For others you may be a ''expert'' (not for me). So dont pretend your the ''I Know Everything About Elvis'' guy. Cause your not.

Just tryin to figure out why there's so much difference between all those soundboards. Thats all. :wink:

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:14 am

I myself always hated the fully smacked dead noise tweaking of the Baxter CDs. Kills all hi-hat too.

I'd rather hear a little bit of noise and still the hi-hat as well.
But that's just my preference.

on topic: although the sound of Hartford sounds a little flat, at least the sound is in tact. The Happy birthday part is hilarious.

The Dayton audio quality is way better then the same kill-all-noise release of the same show by the Madison label. The original source of this CD must have been better then that one. The decision not to overkill noise may have resulted in a noisier sounding CD, but also a much clearer sounding recording of it. On the Madison release you can clearly hear the sound defects that were caused by overly noise killing. No such defects on this release!
At least I am thankful for that. I've had about had it with the baxter and madison kill noise and ruin all sound releases. I'm just buying them because they had a new show. And any new show is better then no show.

Only complaint is it is too bad Audionics didn't release the whole Dayton show. I would have liked the improved Dayton.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:15 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Heard parts at a friends place this morning . They must have saved quite a bit on money by not cleaning the tapes any better. Its a very middle of the road product that could have been a lot better had "they" paid more time and money to improve the tape- soundquality.

Sounds like someone is jaleous ...

Noise reduction amount vs. spent/saved money

Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:00 pm

Mr. Ger Rijff, can you explain me a little bit the relation between "save quite a bit of money" and amount noise reduction ??? How much cost 1dB of noise reduction??? Just curious to know... I would like to have an idea, if I will need pay for this... thanks.

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:20 pm

:) well said 'deadringer!' :lol:

Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:20 pm

Got my copy of this release yesterday. Great cover with nice pictures from 1974 and 1976. The sound is okay, not as crisp and clear as soundboards released by DAE, Luxor and/or Fort Baxter but still very listenable. Glad to have this in my concert collection. The highlights are the bonus material not counting My Heavenly Father sung by Westmoreland which is truly awful IMO. (Never liked it) Nice Mystery Train/Tiger Man medley from Pine Bluff, great How Great Thou Art from Jackson and nice to hear tracks from Dayton, October ´74 with improved sound. All bonus tracks has better soundquality than the main recording from Hartford.

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:22 am

Got my copy today!.

Great packaging, really nice, so well done audionics!.

The sound is a bit flat but they are not lying when they state that this is one of Elvis better performances of 1976, I actually enjoyed listening to a incomplete show!.

Bonustracks are great too.

All in all: good release, mostly new material, well produced, 78 minutes running time so it is worth having it in your collection.

Just thought I'd share my view on this release.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:44 am

:lol: Yes I finally was able to see/HEAR this release yesterday! Sound (as said) is bit flat, but ok once played through a proper stereo system;-)and Dayton sound is very, VERY much better fuller and very good indeed! however Elvis comes across as in very good humour in Hartford and although end of 'Mountain' isn't complete and very start of 'My Heavenly Father' is clipped to it's useful having Kathy's track because if i insert it into the correct place in the BIG BOSS MAN FTD CD then i hear how that actual show would be before FTD edited it(as is always the case with Kathy's song on FTD releases) Blue Christmas isn't very good-yet HGTA is.I think i'll be playing this bits & pieces release more often than El goes to El Paso because together it offers more concert 'highlights' and a good overall listen! Even the Jackie Kahane interview was 'tolerable!', Packaging too MUST get a mention-VERY GOOD!... and athough not 'essential' release compared to South Bend 20.10.76 and El Paso 2.6.76 or Greensboro 30.6.76 , i'd be choosing 'Across Country Vol 1 ' to play more often simply because of the 'variety' it offers! Certainly the full booklet (12 sides/pages) is marvelously put together and full of unseen photo's! also good details and a nice little story as to how the Hartford soundboard became 'available'! As Merijn said with Dayton 74' sounding THIS GOOD i could enjoy that full show in such better sound as well! :roll:
Elvis in Norway are the ONLY people i know (so far) whom give the package a proper track-listing AND rating! http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/acrossthecountry1.html
Last edited by YDKM on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:41 am

I enjoyed the Hartford tracks more than I thought I would.

Colonel is reported to have chastised Elvis for a poor performance on this date. Having now heard it, we can safely say there were worse gigs in '76.

His speech is somewhat slurred, but his mood is bright. He pays attention to his singing. I especially like his teasing of J.D. and the Stamps. We've read about Elvis' aversion to wearing blue jeans. In Hartford, he picked on the denim outfits the Stamps were wearing. Paraphrasing, he said that J.D. is wearing jeans because he thinks they're "in." That's what I wore, he said, growing up in Mississippi, because I had to.

The real "meat" of this concert - the part that would have typically included And I Love You So, America, Help Me and Polk Salad Annie, is missing. A shame.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:03 am

Posted on FECC "Import News":

Elvis Across The Country Vol. 1

(By David Wilson)

Elvis Across The Country Vol. 1
Audionics 2005-04-02
Running time 77:53

Volume one in a series that can only get better, as the sound on the main content of this CD is not the best that we have heard from a 1976 show, the concert is from Hartford, CT. 28th July 1976 evening show, but unfortunately the middle of the show is missing which is a shame as it’s an above average show, Elvis is in a good mood and enjoying the show as is the audience, highlights of the show included on this release are the introductions Elvis has a poke of fun at poor old J.D Sumner, and funny version of “Happy Birthday” dedicated to one of Jackie Kahane’s daughters, and hinted in the liner notes this recording came from him too.

To link Jackie Kahane the producers decided it would be a good idea to add a recording from a 1978 TV show that Jackie appeared on, where he briefly talks about his time with Elvis, nothing startling but it’s a link. This is followed by Kathy Westmoreland’s performance of “My Heavenly Father” & Elvis medley of “Mystery Train/Tiger Man” from Pine Bluff, AR 8th September 1976 evening show, just a shame it’s only two songs, again the sound could be better.

Back in time three days and Elvis is in Jackson, MS 5th September 1976 evening show, Elvis this time gets geared up to play the Guitar and plays a Bluesy version of “Blue Christmas” this is quickly followed by a short burst of “Jingle Bells” by the orchestra, Elvis then gives his usual thundering “How Great Thou Art”, and a thank you to the state Governor for an award earlier in the evening and straight into an incomplete “Can’t Help Falling In Love” but as with the previous selection the sound could be better, its a little hissy. As stated in the booklet a special bonus to finish off the CD a selection of recordings from Dayton, OH 6th October 1974 evening show – previously released complete on (Breathing Out Fire - Madison), but these tracks come from a better generation tape, to be fair the sound is better, just a shame the other selections couldn’t be of the same quality as we have here.

These three unreleased soundboard selections that according to liner notes have been cleaned up using the latest equipment, software and 24-bit processing, have not got a patch on the final selection of released soundboard recordings from Dayton. That said is it worth having, silly question if you’re a fan that has to have everything, but if you like to pick and choose this release may well not grace your Elvis shelf. One other thing worth a mention is the CD is a picture disc in the same style as the front cover, the booklet is informative and well laid out, just the track listing on the back cover, we fans are not getting younger and the text is getting smaller!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:28 am

elvis-fan wrote:highlights of the show included on this release are the introductions Elvis has a poke of fun at poor old J.D Sumner, and funny version of “Happy Birthday” dedicated to one of Jackie Kahane’s daughters, and hinted in the liner notes this recording came from him too.

There is actually a pretty neat story that goes along with the birthday issue.

Jackie's daughter was celebrating her birthday on this night and Elvis sang to her. After the show Jackie mentioned to the sound engineer that he would like to have the tape recording of this show as a souvenir since Elvis sang to his daughter. Jackie was told absolutely not!

He then mentioned to Elvis that he would like the tape but was told that he couldn't have it. Elvis told Jackie not to worry about it. Within minutes, Elvis personally handed the tape to Jackie.

Thanks to Elvis' actions, we now have the (incomplete) soundboard show available to us.

Man, I wish he'd have put his foot down on a few other things.

Recorded live.
Hartford, Connecticut, July 28, 1976 (8:30 PM)

Tracklisting

Also Sprach Zarathustra / C. C. Rider / I Got A Woman - Amen / Love Me / If You Love Me (Let Me Know) / 06. You Gave Me A Mountain / Band Introductions / Early Mornin' Rain / Chickin'Pickin' - What'd I Say / Johnny B. Goode / Drums Solo (by Ronnie Tutt) / Bass Solo #1 (Blues - by Jerry Scheff) / Bass Solo #2 (Battle Of New Orleans - by Jerry Scheff) / Piano Solo (by Tony Brown) / Electric Piano Solo (by David Briggs) / Love Letters / School Day (Hail Hail Rock'n'Roll) / Happy Birthday (to "Kitten" Kahane, daughter of comedian Jackie Kahane) / Hurt (with last part reprise) / Hound Dog / Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp / Announcements

Jackie Kahane speaks out in Jim Neighbors TV show, 1978 (03:00)

My Heavenly Father Watches Over Me (sung by Kathy Westmoreland) / Mystery Train - Tiger Man

Pine Bluff, Arkansas, September 8, 1976 (8:30 PM)

Blue Christmas (Elvis on acoustic guitar) - Jingle Bells (instrumental, by the band) / How Great Thou Art / Monologue / Can't Help Falling In Love (incomplete)
Jackson, Mississippi, September 5,1976 (8:30 PM)

Big Boss Man / The Wonder Of You / Lawdy Miss Clawdy / That's All Right, Mama (with false start, Elvis on acoustic guitar) / Hawaiian Wedding Song (with last part reprise) / Johnny B. Goode

Dayton, Ohio, October 6, 1974 (8:30 PM)

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Rob wrote:He then mentioned to Elvis that he would like the tape but was told that he couldn't have it. Elvis told Jackie not to worry about it. Within minutes, Elvis personally handed the tape to Jackie.

Thanks to Elvis' actions, we now have the (incomplete) soundboard show available to us.

Man, I wish he'd have put his foot down on a few other things.

Me too, like refusing to have Jackie open any more shows.

Axe