Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

All Shook Up - What'd I Say

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:21 am

Can we nail this once and for all.

Was What'd I Say performed that show.

Jim Dandy claims an audience tape he has confirms - yes.

What is the running time on the CD - in other words did it have to be left out?

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:43 am

Here we go again.......... :evil:

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:24 am

Kiwi, it appears the audience recording I have is a splice of two shows. Where you would expect What'd I Say to be is found on side B which clearly has a different sound although it is not drastically different.
I am certain What'd I say was not performed however it does make me question some of the odd edits you can hear between songs like All Shook Up and Love Me Tender and a few others. The edits occur when all of a sudden the audience applause comes in.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:43 am

I would expect that the edits you refer to are a consequence of changing tape reels during the performance.

When you consider the tape size (2 inch) and the speed - no way could one reel cover an entire concert. Someone on stage would have been told to ensure Elvis did not start the next song too early.

But that would not explain any omission of What'd I Say.

A plea to Ernst - what gives!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:41 pm

I have a AR of this show with "What`d I Say"..I do think that it was left out on the FTD due to reasons of space..
What`d I Say w a s a standard these days....and Elvis wanted to show James guitar playing as well..
However..these 1969 shows are a total mess..I donĀ“t think even Ernst can give us a correct answer..

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:24 am

Why wouldn't Ernst be able to give us a correct answer? Either "What'd I Say" exists on the RCA multitracks or it doesn't. Surely BMG has cataloged every song in their vault. Ernst knows what they have.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:59 am

If What D'Say runs for over 5 minutes maybe that HAD to leave it out? but then again from all the audience copies of 69 shows a large number appear 'edited' and maybe this was another of those??

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:38 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Why wouldn't Ernst be able to give us a correct answer? Either "What'd I Say" exists on the RCA multitracks or it doesn't. Surely BMG has cataloged every song in their vault. Ernst knows what they have.

For the very simple reason that he has the tape.

It's either on it - or it is not!

If it is not and there is NO edit before Can't Help Falling In love - then it must follow that it was never recorded.

Simple!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:24 pm

KiwiAlan -

I don't know about the All Shook Up CD, I'm still looking for What'd I Say on Big Boss Man !

Anyone found it ?

Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:43 pm

John -

That's the strange thing, the title is mentioned on the inside of the sleeve, and Ray Charles listed as the composer.

During the introductions, James Burton plays a few notes which could be the opening strains of the song [a lot of others as well] but we don't get any more !

Answer From Ernst

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:51 pm

I emailed Ernst about this today.

Ernst tells me that Elvis did not sing 'What'd I Say' during the midnight show and that Elvis didn't sing it at the dinner show either.

All Shook Up is a complete and uneditted show.

Greetings,

Jeroen.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:55 pm

If this is true (and I'm not doubting you) this should be the end of this discussion.

Thanks for the info.

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:00 am

Rob wrote:If this is true (and I'm not doubting you) this should be the end of this discussion.

Thanks for the info.

RobRobRob........you're SOOOOO naive. You know simple facts are no guarantee that a discussion will end on this MB.

Now...... does anyone else think The Presley Commission is onto something???:wink:

(And awaaaaaay we go!!!) :lol:

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:02 am

Scatter wrote:You know simple facts are no guarantee that a discussion will end on this MB.

One can hope, can't one?

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:19 am

Well Rob.......hope springs eternal. But then again, so do weeds :wink:

Re: Answer From Ernst

Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:23 am

JeroenNL wrote:I emailed Ernst about this today.

Ernst tells me that Elvis did not sing 'What'd I Say' during the midnight show and that Elvis didn't sing it at the dinner show either.

All Shook Up is a complete and uneditted show.

Greetings,

Jeroen.

Thank you. And my database thanks you!

I consider this nailed!