Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

scotty moore on tour

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:24 pm

Scotty Moore is playing in london on 16th August .Has anyone seen him play recently ? Is it a night to remember or should I save my money.I would appreciate your opinion.Many thanks

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:39 pm

I haven't seen him play for years but it's an experience you shouldn't miss. None of Elvis' contemporaries are getting any younger so go while you can. Where is he playing and who with?

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Its worth going along just to see the guy, and he looked in good shape on his tour last year despite his then recent major health problems. But dont expect too much on the guitar playing front as he cant really play these days.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:12 am

He s playing at Jazz cafe camden town for more details have a look at "scottymoore.net".Im going to email the BBC Radio 2 to suggest an interview a session,feel to join me.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:23 am

carolynlm wrote:
Ezz wrote:Its worth going along just to see the guy, and he looked in good shape on his tour last year despite his then recent major health problems. But dont expect too much on the guitar playing front as he cant really play these days.

You give me Scotty Moore on guitar before any of these current band members any day (not the TCB band).....he would out play them with one hand tied behind his back......'can't really play these days'....what a load of rubbish......

I admire the loyalty, but the statement that he could outplay modern guitarists with one hand behind his back is just false. He's secured his place in history and is deserving of huge respect, but there are very many guitarists that are on a completely different level in terms of technique.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:46 am

TJ -

You wrote:
I admire the loyalty, but the statement that he could outplay modern guitarists with one hand behind his back is just false

Well, I don't think Carolyn meant it literally.

It's just an expression.

He has a better 'feel' for the music than modern players, perhaps.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:42 am

ColinB wrote:TJ -

You wrote:
I admire the loyalty, but the statement that he could outplay modern guitarists with one hand behind his back is just false

Well, I don't think Carolyn meant it literally.

It's just an expression.

He has a better 'feel' for the music than modern players, perhaps.

I knew the one handed thing wasn't meant literally of course :) but the idea of him outplaying most seemed to be. There are some great guitarists around and not all play a wall of ininspired noise. That's all I meant.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:47 am

If it was'nt for Scotty Moore on the guitar, for the very frist day at sun
we would'nt have Elvis-(imo).

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:56 am

goldrecords2002@yahoo.com wrote:If it was'nt for Scotty Moore on the guitar, for the very frist day at sun

Poor Elvis! He never gets any credit! :D

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:18 am

I'd strongly recommend catching the show if you can. It's something else watching Scotty play, having watched him on screen for so long. On top of that aswell, the band he plays with are very very good. They're a sort of rockabilly combo, and the vocalist does a great job. Doesn't try to sound like Elvis, but has a likeness in his voice that is hard to ignore..

Go see them play, you won't be disapointed.

Kevin.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:21 pm

I saw him play a few years ago at the "House of Blues" in the USA and it was a heck of a show, and treat to chat with him later.

Here's his excellent website!:

http://www.scottymoore.net/

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:06 pm

goldrecords2002@yahoo.com wrote:If it was'nt for Scotty Moore on the guitar, for the very frist day at sun

Just when you think that this guy can't get any dumber..........

Tom

P.S. Before the PC police come down on me for being so cruel to Simplekins: It's all an act folks!!!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:25 pm

Tom, you're a classist, spellist SOB. :lol: And I've probably told you that once or twice. :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:13 pm

"You give me Scotty Moore on guitar before any of these current band members any day (not the TCB band).....he would out play them with one hand tied behind his back......'can't really play these days'....what a load of rubbish".

You must be a real oldtimer to come out with something like that....rose coloured specs and all that.

I travelled a long way on a cold winters night the last time i saw Scotty ( last year), and i enjoyed the night, and would do it again. But the evening was not about good guitar playing, because he aborted every solo he tried to play except for Heartbreak Hotel ( the easiest of the lot). But we did`nt care, as it was great just to see the guy. But there was complaints from folks around us about his playing.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:24 pm

I believe he has arthritis. He's not a spring chicken anymore.

Thankfully, fans cut him lots of slack, or should.

Whenever he did a snip of his own sound, they'd go wild.

The rest was pretty basic and or quiet.

To see him on stage is enough!

yep',..

Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:02 am

basically,...yes! to all of the above. I've been playing guitar since 1959,..and teaching since 1972. Scotty Moore is one of my idols,..he is a shrine to great rock-a-billy guitar from 1954 to aprx.' 1998ish',...I saw him/ met him last year at the Ronnie McDowell,Jordanairs,Mille kirkham,D.J. Fontana concert in West Virginia at the Wheeling Jamboree. It was an Excellent show!,...Scotty played chords most of the night,...soloed on "Heartbreak Hotel", ( as someone else mentioned THEE easiest solo), and some Young Kid' played ALL of the other solos! BUT! it is/was STILL a pleasure being in the same room with Elvis' right-hand Man! Still get historical chills just thinking about it! If you Ever have a chance to see a part of 'living History, by all means GO! I'm going to see Wanda Jackson next month in Yellow Springs,Ohio. Now, I don't know if she can still Kick-it' like she used to,..but, who cares,..lol I can't WAIT to meet her! Love life while Ya' can, Mark.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:17 am

Go ... He is a nice bloke to chat to ... if you get the time to.

No,he tends to leave the guitar playing to the other picker on stage with him these days.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:31 am

The guy is an absolute icon in his own right......I'd go see him if he couldn't play at all.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:39 am

Scatter wrote:The guy is an absolute icon in his own right......I'd go see him if he couldn't play at all.

Absolutely! 8)

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:41 am

Delboy wrote:
Scatter wrote:The guy is an absolute icon in his own right......I'd go see him if he couldn't play at all.

Absolutely! 8)

There you go scatter ... twice in one tread.

(in joke)

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:50 am

C'mon now Kev......people are starting to talk :lol:

Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:39 pm

For all the Scotty Moore fans (myself included) :

http://www.elvispresleyscrapbook.co.uk/stuff/scotty_notw.jpg

Here's the best bit though:
I couldn't help but :lol: when I read it.

I've met both Scotty and The Col and I'll take Scotty everytime, he's a very pleasant guy !

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:07 pm

Addition to my previous post:

Would anyone be interested in hearing a Scotty Moore interview MP3?

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:38 pm

ME4EP wrote:Addition to my previous post:

Would anyone be interested in hearing a Scotty Moore interview MP3?

Ofcourse,let the legend speak!!

Thanks in advance!! :wink:

Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:53 pm

Certainly would! :D