Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:24 pm

I too can hardly bear to watch the 77 CBS special.It is not
a good show.The one he did in Omaha was terrible.His speech
was mumbled,his movement slow,handing out scarves every
5 mins,singing voice not in good shape.The show in Rapid City
was an improvement,especially voice wise.When he does
"Unchained Melody"it is a powerfull,emotional performance and
i'm with him all the way,"Come on Elvis,man you can still do it"
but its still a shadow of the man he was only a few years earlier.
Renalagulled said earlier in this thread that at least he was there
giving it his all,he could have went to bed instead.Maybe that
would have been a better idea as he shouldn't have been near
a stage at that time.Even better than going to bed would have
been to check into a health farm for a few months and sort himself
out and reclaim his throne and live on

norrie

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:59 pm

Sadly, the "Betty Ford Center" and the whole "recovery" culture was still a bit down the road in the U.S., so Elvis couldn't think of such a "farm" without imagining career suicide, most likely. I'm not even sure he realized he had a problem.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:06 pm

Greg -

You wrote:
Sadly, the "Betty Ford Center" and the whole "recovery" culture was still a bit down the road in the U.S.

Well, yeah, but there was some form of rehab available then, maybe in the normal hospital environment.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:35 pm

The "National Enquirer" or "the Star" or someone had a field day with Elvis turning "fat and forty" in 1975, so one can imagine......

The stigma was still there, but maybe he could have pioneered a comeback. People forgave the '60s movies, too, which brought on the Singer special and then the touring of the '70s. Few others could have come back from drug rehab in terms of career...

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:22 am

I never thought of Elvis being fat? Remember he was taking medication and retained water so I do think that alot of this socalled fat was nothing more than water retention. Elvis did sweat just as everyone else does. Remember he was a NORMAL human being. I would have been sweating buckets too if I had been on that stage wearing that heavy suit with all of those hot lights glaring down on me but the bottom line is Elvis was singing his heart out for us fans. What a GREAT & SENSATIONAL voice he had even more so I think at the end. Sweat or no sweat!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:54 am

The true fan embraces the artist, warts and all. As the years pass, soundboards reveal more of Elvis' human frailities ... such is the life that was Elvis Presley.
Too bad you can't except his physical decline over the years ... if it was your child, would you love him/her less due to physical imperfections?

The bottom line is that his magnificent talent, his voice, still had so much to offer in 1977 .... perhaps not every night, which just makes songs like Trying To Get To You on the CBS tapes so much more impressive ... he could still draw raw emotion from his gut and deliver a virtuoso performance just weeks before his death. Perhaps this feat is even more impressive than a young man singing the same song way back in the Sun Studio days.