Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Just a few thoughts

Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:22 pm

Sometimes funny things are happening on this MB. Just the other day we`ve had a thread which ended in a discussion about the Islam and other religions. That does not belong on this MB! ( Just as the Americans
shouldn`t be in Irac)It was started by Graceland Gardener as I recall, who, by the way has rather strange thoughts about the Islam. But I think there are other sites to discuss these things.

The threads about Bo Diddely and/or Bill Haley, Jerry Lee, etc etc. Who should or shouldn`t be King of Rock `n Roll. The longer I follow this board, more and more I get the impression that a lot of you were not even around in the 50`s or 60`s. So you hear a name, look him up on the net and find out they have not as many gold records or top 10 hits as Elvis, so therefor they are nothing compared to Elvis. Well, let me tell you that in 1954 or 55 I heard Bill Haley for the first time in my life. so this was the rock and roll we`ve heard so much about, and we loved it! Our parents hated it, what made it even better. After that came the movie Rock Around the Clock and the whole world went crazy. Times shure were changing! Not long after that, along came Elvis. The first record I ever heard of him was Don`t be cruel/ Hound dog. Been a fan of him ever since. But I still have a very soft spot for Bill Haley. I have only one CD of him but every now and then i play it and being it more then 50 years old I think of it as classical music.Along with a lot of Elvis songs.
Which brings me to another thread from somebody who wants to get rid of the Jordanairs on the Elvis classics!! Who in his or her right mind comes up with an idea like that? The moment they delete the Jordanairs of those songs, they`re the first ones to buy that CD. Because it`s oldfashioned or something, so they say. That might be, but they belong on these songs, it`s classical music and you do not change that or touch that. Those are among the best songs he ever made. And a whole lot better then what he did in the 70`s.
I hope I`m not jeopardising my membership of this MB, but I do not like what he did in the 70`s The 68 Come Back was good, I liked the Aloha show, but that was it! The most saddest thing I ever saw, was Elvis on stage, at a piano, very fat and sweating like a pig, singing Unchained Melody. I`m not a sentimental guy, but that almost brought tears to my eyes! What had happened to him? Was that my great idol from the 50`s and 60`s?? Was that the fault of that highway-robber Parker?? Who was as Dutch as I am.) ( We`re not all like that, ask Ger Rijff)And for what happened to Elvis in the 70`s I also point a finger to that group of freeloading bums, called the Memphis Mafia! Who did nothing to save him and only were there for the cars and money he threw at them. Friends of Elvis they called themselves, while standing by while he slowly killed himself and did nothing to help him. For that I will never forgive them.

But I still have all his music from the first 16 years, I love it and will probably be an Elvis fan for the rest of my life.

Sorry about the sometimes poor english, but most of you can`t write Dutch, so I`m still winning.

Wim

Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Imagine if the US didnt back Kuwait in 1991?? You would have got Israel involved then all the Arab countries then all of a sudden a nuclear war.

The US have gone in heavy-handed(so to speak) but i totally agree with them going into Iraq.

Your comments about Elvis's performance of Unchained Melody were insulting.'Sweating like a pig'.You could have worded that better you idiot.

I thought that performance shows how great he was even if he didnt look great .

Your 'negative' comments about the Memphis Mafia shows how ignorant you are.You dont know anything about what life was like being around Elvis which is why its easy for people like you to put them down.

Sean

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:32 pm

Wow - well you certainly have a way with words.

But it would be my opinion, that this "very fat, sweating like a pig" Elvis Presley that sang Unchained Melody in 1977 - had more talent in his right thumbnail, than all of Bill Haley put together.

I would agree that it's sad, because he wouldn't be on this Earth much longer. But the absolute passion and soul that he shows in that performance - proves he could still come up to the challenge, right to the end.

"See You Later, Alligator".

Rich

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:54 pm

Sean.

This is a free MB and if the saddest thing that Wim saw was Elvis on stage, at a piano, very fat and sweating like a pig, singing Unchained Melody....Then so be it- that is what he saw.....He is entitled to his opinion...And for the most part- what he says is true.

Whats the big deal in what he said?

Sq

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:07 pm

Wim, I think that the topics you referred to, at least the one by GG, was in the forum "Off Topic".

To be fair, if you don't want to read discussions about things that are not about Elvis just avoid that forum.

Occassionaly one or two threads appear in the All Elvis forum which are arguably not really meant to be in here, some get moved, some stay.

Also, your thread isn't about "All Elvis" but it is in reference to the site as a whole which is very much about Elvis, so again I'd argue that it has a place in here, but others might see it differently.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:10 pm

This is an Elvis messageboard where people can express there views but comparing Elvis to a pig is an insult to him.

Enough insults have been said about Elvis since he passed away through the media etc, so his fans should abit more respect.

Wim obviously is a fan of the 50's Elvis and doesnt like the 70's Elvis but that doesnt give him/her the right to insult Elvis.

How many other members on here think comparing Elvis' to a sweating pig' is not a big deal??

I actually think thats a terrible thing to say. :twisted:

Sean

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:16 pm

In fairness Elvis wasn't compared to a pig, just his sweat was, and that is a common phrase over this way if it isn't in other places.
to say "I'm sweating like a pig" is not meaning that whoever says it is comparing themselves to a pig in any other way other than the act of heavily perspiring.

Elvis was also sweating like a pig in the 68 special and that was the gold Binder wanted.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:35 pm

Steve

That's a funny phrase, considering that pigs don't sweat.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:45 pm

Torben -

I think the full expression is:

Sweating like a pig would, if it could.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:07 am

Torben wrote:Steve

That's a funny phrase, considering that pigs don't sweat.

Most of them are Torben.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:49 am

God good man...stand under a 1000watt bulb for for a bit..then you"ll now why the sweat was pouring of him...with 100"s of bulbs putting out that type of heat...what else was going to happen on stage in that heat...grow tomatoes.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:54 am

OK, Elvis was not in great shape but he was there! Doig the best he could in that day!!!!!!!!
He could have gone to a bed and sleep but NO! His only light in the end of the life was the stage, his fans so he was there man!
This is enough for me. This was a guy with a tremendous talent!

Best Regards
Renan.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:02 am

Well, WIM, after accusing people of giving an opinion on something when they weren't even there, i.e.," The longer I follow this board, more and more I get the impression that a lot of you were not even around in the 50`s or 60`s. So you hear a name, look him up on the net and find out they have not as many gold records or top 10 hits as Elvis, so therefor they are nothing compared to Elvis. ", When you said,"The most saddest thing I ever saw, was Elvis on stage, at a piano, very fat and sweating like a pig, singing Unchained Melody. I`m not a sentimental guy, but that almost brought tears to my eyes!" You didn't say if you actually SAW him, or just looked him up, perhaps on a video clip? Well, let me tell ya, I was there, I SAW him on stage, at a piano, singing Unchained Melody. If all you saw was "very fat and sweating like a pig," Then you missed a lot! You didn't see the passion, feel the soul he put into that performance. You didn't feel the strength, the power of his voice. If you did actually "SEE" him, you should have asked for a refund of the purchase price of your ticket, cause you missed it, man!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:13 am

Just out of curiosity Wim, why did you choose this MB to state your case?
Are you trying to create an effect?
And I don't think there was any need to mention that you are Dutch, unless of course you would like to properly introduce yourself, which IMO belongs in the off-topic section. On this MB nationalty does not matter, nor do English skills. But since you mention, that in your own estimation your English is poor, have you ever tried to make an effort to improve? Other people have done it before, including me.

Folks, the most shocking thing is not, that Wim mentioned the words fat-pig-sweat in his rant, but that he comes across as prefering Elvis in say the film "Paradise Hawaiian Style" (60s) to Elvis in TTWII (70s).

Some think, that Elvis didn't look like / wasn't Elvis anymore in '77 or any year they please. At that point I would always like to know Elvis own definition. To him was he a particular look, year, move, song, moment in time? I sincerely hope that in his heart and soul he was always Elvis. "Walk a mile in his shoes....."

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:46 am

I just love it when someone with 10 posts comes here with the cheek to start telling us how the MB should be.

You don't like it........hit the bricks and start your own. Your manners are atrocious.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 am

I, too, would be delighted if all the political posts vanished from this message board.

On the other hand, I'd be even more delighted if dickheads like Wim did, too.

:D

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:28 am

Holy Dominic the impotent bull, now we've an ass here on this mb, a donkey with a pig brain.

just a few

Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:23 am

Dearest Melanie, dare I remind you this FECDcollectors site has originated here in Holland . We try to communicate the best we can in English. Improve, IMPROVE?! Hows your Dutch lately? Have you been trying to improve it a little lately?! You arrogant little sod!

Re: just a few

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:42 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Dearest Melanie, dare I remind you this FECDcollectors site has originated here in Holland . We try to communicate the best we can in English. Improve, IMPROVE?! Hows your Dutch lately? Have you been trying to improve it a little lately?! You arrogant little sod!

I don't need reminding that this board originated in the Netherlands. :oops:
But thanks anyway.

And since Wim said, he thinks his English is poor, which by the way I don't think, I was just wondering, if he is the type of guy who doesn't settle with poor. Isn't that an ok question to ask?

I don't want anyone feeling bad, so I'd love to help him out. I understand Dutch, because I have spend quite some time in Zeeland, I just can't properly write it.

I am glad that everyone here tries their best to communicate in English, because if we would all write in our first language, it would only be half fun. :D By the way I don't mind that you called me "arrogant little sod", because I realize it might have come across that way in writing, which was not intentional. :cry: I'll try to work on it.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:52 pm

I hope I`m not jeopardising my membership of this MB, but I do not like what he did in the 70`s The 68 Come Back was good, I liked the Aloha show, but that was it! The most saddest thing I ever saw, was Elvis on stage, at a piano, very fat and sweating like a pig, singing Unchained Melody. I`m not a sentimental guy, but that almost brought tears to my eyes! What had happened to him? Was that my great idol from the 50`s and 60`s?? Was that the fault of that highway-robber Parker?? Who was as Dutch as I am.) ( We`re not all like that, ask Ger Rijff)And for what happened to Elvis in the 70`s I also point a finger to that group of freeloading bums, called the Memphis Mafia! Who did nothing to save him and only were there for the cars and money he threw at them. Friends of Elvis they called themselves, while standing by while he slowly killed himself and did nothing to help him. For that I will never forgive them.

But I still have all his music from the first 16 years, I love it and will probably be an Elvis fan for the rest of my life.

Sorry about the sometimes poor english, but most of you can`t write Dutch, so I`m still winning.

Wim

If I didn't know better I'd swear you are a reporter or some form of critic. For you to disregard anything after 1970 is a joke, but to disrespect EP, a guy who was up on stage, in failing health, battling his ass off to sing Unchained Melody, which is as gut-wrenching performance as we'll ever see, leads me to believe you have an alterior motive for joining this forum.

Sometimes funny things are happening on this MB. Just the other day we`ve had a thread which ended in a discussion about the Islam and other religions. That does not belong on this MB! ( Just as the Americans
shouldn`t be in Irac)It was started by Graceland Gardener as I recall, who, by the way has rather strange thoughts about the Islam. But I think there are other sites to discuss these things.

The threads about Bo Diddely and/or Bill Haley, Jerry Lee, etc etc. Who should or shouldn`t be King of Rock `n Roll. The longer I follow this board, more and more I get the impression that a lot of you were not even around in the 50`s or 60`s. So you hear a name, look him up on the net and find out they have not as many gold records or top 10 hits as Elvis, so therefor they are nothing compared to Elvis. Well, let me tell you that in 1954 or 55 I heard Bill Haley for the first time in my life. so this was the rock and roll we`ve heard so much about, and we loved it! Our parents hated it, what made it even better. After that came the movie Rock Around the Clock and the whole world went crazy. Times shure were changing! Not long after that, along came Elvis. The first record I ever heard of him was Don`t be cruel/ Hound dog. Been a fan of him ever since. But I still have a very soft spot for Bill Haley. I have only one CD of him but every now and then i play it and being it more then 50 years old I think of it as classical music.Along with a lot of Elvis songs.
Which brings me to another thread from somebody who wants to get rid of the Jordanairs on the Elvis classics!! Who in his or her right mind comes up with an idea like that? The moment they delete the Jordanairs of those songs, they`re the first ones to buy that CD. Because it`s oldfashioned or something, so they say. That might be, but they belong on these songs, it`s classical music and you do not change that or touch that. Those are among the best songs he ever made. And a whole lot better then what he did in the 70`s.

This proves your ignorance. There is no other forum that even comes close to this as far as the history of EP, or music in general. I've learned more in the two years since I joined then I could have ever imagined. To quote the Doc, "Read and Learn".

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:39 pm

Your comments about Elvis's performance of Unchained Melody were insulting.'Sweating like a pig'.You could have worded that better you idiot.

I never compared him with a pig, I just said he was sweating like one!
But, no problem, if I have offended some of you, I take back the pig.
He was sweating very much. When you take back the"idiot" we can all live happily ever after. ( Or something like that)

Wim

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:56 pm

I don't want anyone feeling bad, so I'd love to help him out. I understand Dutch, because I have spend quite some time in Zeeland, I just can't properly write it.

What a coincidence, thats where I live. In Middelburg, to be precisely ( that word is not as it should be)

Wim

Re: Just a few thoughts

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Wim wrote:I hope I`m not jeopardising

Too late.

Re: Just a few thoughts

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:09 pm

Wim wrote:I hope I`m not jeopardising

You get but one chance to make a first impression and I'm afraid you've done just that.

Tom

Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Scatter wrote:I just love it when someone with 10 posts comes here with the cheek to start telling us how the MB should be.

You don't like it........hit the bricks and start your own. Your manners are atrocious.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But spare us the inevitable "I'm Gone" kiss-off thread!
On the other hand, the guy's free to express his opinion, as he's clearly a fan...of sorts....Let's be clear that despite Spellbinder may have once thought, folks are free to speak their mind here, no matter how inelegant their English...Mine included. :oops:

Just try to stick to one thread at a time! Stick around! We need fresh opinions sometimes!