Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Female voice on Are You 'Laughing' Tonight?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:25 pm

Can anyone tell me who the female voice was on the Laughing version of Are You Lonsome Tonight from the Aug.26th 1969 MS.

I thought it was Emily'Cissy' Houston.

Just want to confirm with the members in here.

Sean

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:35 pm

It wasn't Cissy, but her daughter Whitney, who had just ingested some excellent blow from Bobby Brown. You can also hear her howling during "How Great Thou Art".

But seriously, I think Cissy left the group around 1969 to go solo, and it would've been Estelle, Mryna, Sylvia, or perhaps Lamar Fike laughing in the high pitched voice.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:50 pm

TCB TED,
If your trying to become a comedian, take my advice...........Dont Bother.

Any adults know the answer?? :lol:

Sean

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:52 pm

Sean -

According to Joe Tunzi, it was Emily 'Cissy' Houston doing that high-voiced bit on the laughing version of Are You Lonesome Tonight.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:08 pm

Hi ColinB,

Yeah, thats where i got my info from.
Some say it might have been Millie Kirkham and then Kathy Westmoreland says it was her that was on it.
Im not gonna argue with Joe Tunzi. :wink:

Sean

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:17 pm

As stated in one of the above posts, it was Cissy Houston doing the high part on AYLT.

Kathy Westmoreland didn't start working for Elvis until August 16, 1970 when she took over the soprano slot from Millie.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:54 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:TCB TED,
If your trying to become a comedian, take my advice...........Dont Bother.

Any adults know the answer?? :lol:

Sean

Hell, I thought it was funny. Obviously I was wrong about Cissy Houston. Here's a link that supports it being Cissy's voice ...http://www.anelvisfan2001.com/AreYouLonesomeTonight.html

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:56 pm

Hi TCB TED,

It was funny, i admit.

Thanks for the link.I must admit that i thought it was Millie till i looked it up.
Sean

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:01 pm

TCB Ted muttered:

It wasn't Cissy, but her daughter Whitney, who had just ingested some excellent blow from Bobby Brown. You can also hear her howling during "How Great Thou Art".

Made me laugh too. :lol:

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:03 pm

Lamar Fike laughing was a good one :lol:

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:16 am

According to my sources, Millie Kirkham (like Kathy Westmoreland) wasn't performing with Elvis in Vegas '69. Let's trust Mr Tunzi on this and go for Emily Houston 8)

PS: Surely the Sweets must remember this themselves. Has anybody tried to ask them?

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:41 am

According to Jorgensens "A Life In Music" Millie Kirkham was hired by Elvis, and he came up with the high pitched counter vocal for her to sing (page 285) and yet Guralinck "Careless Love" makes reference to Cissy Houston doing the high soprano (page 384) backed by Tunzi Sessions 111 who doesn't acknowledege Millie Kirkham as being present on this engagement (page 275)
Who's right, over to you Ernst

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:58 am

Just listened to all available regular and boot releases from this particular engagement, and there's no mention of Millie during the group member introductions. My votes with Cissy Houston too

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:27 am

Definately Millie Kirkham, I know someone whe was there at the time. kathy did'nt join the band till much later. Cissy was regular backer not a lead singer,

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:39 am

Yes, it´s Millie Kirkham! No one in "sweet inspirations" could have managed those high notes.

Regards
Björn

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:58 pm

Im still going for Cissy.

Sean

Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:17 pm

It's Cissy Houston! Not one of her finer moments. :D

Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:31 pm

If there was a contest for laughing in the correct key, Elvis wins hands down.
In 1969 he could do no wrong ... very, very infectious laugh.

"Careless Love" says its Cissy Houston, but it surely sounds like Millie Kirkham's alto voice.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:18 pm

For sure it's Cissy Houston, check out page 280 of Tunzi Session 111, there's a copy of recording info from the 25th August 69. They are all there, even to the individual flute players. No mention of Millie

High voice

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:36 am

Millie Kirkham is listed as one of the vocalists on the FTD All Shook Up.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:05 pm

Cissy is correct. Millie is not on the All Shook Up FTD, and only appeared with Elvis in Vegas for the first week and a half of his Aug'70 engagement.

DJC

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:45 pm

How about a round of applause for the good Doctor?

Seriously, some of you may bristle at his left/liberal politics and occasional lack of manners, but we do need all the brains we can muster here.

"Read and Learn!," indeed!

Now someone go and find Rockin' Rebel, LiketheBike and a few other of recently quiet, resident E-geniouses... :lol:

Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:25 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:How about a round of applause for the good Doctor?

Seriously, some of you may bristle at his left/liberal politics and occasional lack of manners, but we do need all the brains we can muster here.

"Read and Learn!," indeed!

Now someone go and find Rockin' Rebel, LiketheBike and a few other of recently quiet, resident E-geniouses... :lol:

Thank you for the kind words.

DJC

Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Cissy is correct. Millie is not on the All Shook Up FTD, and only appeared with Elvis in Vegas for the first week and a half of his Aug'70 engagement.

DJC

This is what I have always believed myself. The mentioning of Millie Kirkham on the All Shook Up sleeve is confusing, though. Maybe RCA can't remember themselves, and lists her - just in case :?

Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:13 pm

R.R.Police wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Cissy is correct. Millie is not on the All Shook Up FTD, and only appeared with Elvis in Vegas for the first week and a half of his Aug'70 engagement.

DJC

This is what I have always believed myself. The mentioning of Millie Kirkham on the All Shook Up sleeve is confusing, though. Maybe RCA can't remember themselves, and lists her - just in case :?

Or maybe they should have bought the Recording Sessions book to do there research. :roll:

Sean