Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

If

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:27 am

Hello everybody!!!

A few months ago I have downloaded an mp3 from a Russian E.P. website with a song called If. I really doubt that this is Elvis singing, but maybe somebody can clear the situation fo me? Perhaps, it's been released on a bootleg sometime or something like that? The recording begins with some chat with the audience (clearly Elvis speaking) and later the sound changes and the song begins. I am almost sure that it is Jerry Scheff on bass, but Elvis' voice is a little strange at times and the sound quality is to good for an audience recording. The ending was spliced with the ending of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face from Burning in Birmingham bootleg CD.

Hope to hear from somebody on the matter!

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:38 am

It´s Jimmy Ellis.....

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:48 am

oh, is he an impersonator? and is it really Jerry Scheff on bass, or am I wrong?

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:01 am

Well it was a live recording and it seems TCB band a lot...but I´m sure it´s Ellis..He is a guy that died in the 90´s and had a voice similar to Elvis..
He´s best song for me is "You Don´t Know Me".

Best Regards
Renan.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:42 am

Russian fan wrote:oh, is he an impersonator? and is it really Jerry Scheff on bass, or am I wrong?

Most people know Jimmy Ellis as Orion, probably the most successful of the impersonators ... here's a link to some audio samples ..http://www.orionjimmyellis.com/downloads.mgi?mgiToken=7KK6M0K666L62C11H7

Here's a link to the newspaper article on his murder in 1998 ...http://www.rockabilly.nl/artists/orion.htm

I have most of his albums and cd's .... including a live cd recorded in Nashville 8 days prior to his death. He was quite talented, but with a lower baritone and a little over the top on some performances than Elvis was.
Didn't matter what he sang, to the general public he sounded just like Elvis, both a curse and a blessing.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:27 pm

Well Steve!

I´m here to tell you that Telly Savalas (a.k.a. Kojak) actually DID record the song "If" and he actually DID get to number 1 in England.

I´m sitting here with the single which was issued back in 1974 on MCA Records.

His LP contained among others ""You´ve Lost That Loving Feelin´" and "Help Me Make It Through The Night"

There were quite a number of singers back then recording songs in the Elvis-style.

I remember the first time I heard the song "Save The Last Dance For Me" from the Jerry Lee Lewis and Friends LP. I was working at a factory and we had the radio on. The announcer talked about the voice-analysis that had been done on the record and that experts were 100% sure that it was in fact Elvis singing on the record. Through all the noise at work I instantly heard that it was in fact NOT Elvis. Jimmy Ellis had a similar voice but he NEVER had the voice like Elvis.

Sincerely
Brian Petersen

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:38 pm

TCB TED wrote:
Russian fan wrote:oh, is he an impersonator? and is it really Jerry Scheff on bass, or am I wrong?

Most people know Jimmy Ellis as Orion, probably the most successful of the impersonators ... here's a link to some audio samples ..http://www.orionjimmyellis.com/downloads.mgi?mgiToken=7KK6M0K666L62C11H7

Here's a link to the newspaper article on his murder in 1998 ...http://www.rockabilly.nl/artists/orion.htm

I have most of his albums and cd's .... including a live cd recorded in Nashville 8 days prior to his death. He was quite talented, but with a lower baritone and a little over the top on some performances than Elvis was.
Didn't matter what he sang, to the general public he sounded just like Elvis, both a curse and a blessing.

Jimmy was a good soundlike but he never fooled me for a second. As I understand his natural voice was close to Elvis. His performance of Love Is In The Air on the site mentioned above is truly awful. Oh Lord.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:11 pm

I have dated as being from March 1975.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:13 am

No, only March of 1975 but sure it is not Elvis....

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:27 am

You should get hold f some of the early stuff Jimmy Ellis did for Boblo records from the mid 1970´s. They are nothing but fantastic! And some of his live shows in the seventies are truly great! Obviously the songs he did best was the non-Elvis songs.

All the best,
Kenneth