Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD Movie Soundtrack CD's

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:39 am

Recently, I've read a few posts about people not purchasing the movie soundtracks released by FTD. If you are passing on them because of money, that's one thing. However, if you are passing on them just because they do not interest you, some of you might want to reconsider.

Granted, there are some cheesy songs on them, but there are many good songs as well. Some of the alternate takes are great and much of the dialogue is very interesting as well as entertaining.

At one time, I too thought that I would pass on them. I gave in and bought one of them just to satisfy my curiosity. Needless to say, I now have every FTD available.

Again, if it's not a money issue, you might be surprised should you decide to purchase one or more of them.

I wish that I could have sat in on every recording session that Elvis ever had. However, this is the next best thing.

Just my $0.02 because I just hate it when Elvis fans cheat themselves.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:06 am

I couldn't agree more, Rob. Most of them are great. I guess people are turned off by the lyrics, but, come on, this is pop music - it doesn't have to be serious. The Ramones wrote silly lyrics most of the time but that didn't stop them from becoming one of the best rockbands to ever walk the earth. You know what I mean? It's supposed to be FUN!

To be honest, "Harum Scarum" is one of my favourite FTDs ever! :oops: Elvis' singing is peerless and the music is ace, too. It sounds very... uh, different. In fact I don't think I've ever heard anything like it. I also enjoy "Paradise, Hawaiin Style". Beautiful cover and booklet, nice melodies all over the place, wonderful singing from Elvis. Just check out that falsetto notes in "This Is My Heaven"! :shock: And of course, "Follow That Dream" needs to be mentioned, too. The title song is classic.

And this has nothing to do with nostalgia. I wasn't even born when this stuff was recorded and I hadn't heard one single song from "Harum Scarum" and "PHS" prior to the FTD releases.

Now, Ernst, where is that "Kissin' Cousins" FTD?!

Bring it on! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:34 am

It's both a matter of economy and the quality of the program. It's a big decision to shell out $30 for maybe five new tracks even if the sound is upped. When the material is on the quality of "Paradise Hawaiian Style" it's an especially tough sell. I get very depressed listening to this album. Bad lyrics are only part of the problem. With the possible exceptions of "Sand Castles" and maybe the title track (I'm not even sure of those) Elvis is clearly not enjoying himself and not singing well. The original recording quality was bad and the band is flat.

Other soundtracks that own a softer spot in my heart were an easier sell. Also, sound plays a factor in my decision making. For instance I hated the sound on the "Viva Las Vegas" soundtrack on the double features set. That made buying the FTD reissue a no-brainer. But when the sound of the Double Feature was agreeable it was a tougher sell.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:38 am

likethebike wrote:I get very depressed listening to this album.

Great review! That's on a par with Colin B's review of the 'Harum Scarum' movie.....'It sucks!!!' :D

FTD soundtracks

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:51 am

I really wish they'd release Girls Girls Girls. If I had the money, I'd get all the FTD releases! Looking forward to receiving All Shook Up...

Bryan

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:54 am

Delboy -

You wrote:
Great review! That's on a par with Colin B's review of the 'Harum Scarum' movie.....'It sucks!!!'

Glad someone remembers it.

That in-depth review was lost when the forum switched servers recently.

After all the time I spent writing it.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:16 pm

I'm glad Rob made this a separate thread.

I have to say I was miffed when I heard about the FTD soundtracks coming out when first announced, as I had finally gotten all the D/F's (to replace the Lps) and felt a bit robbed. "Will it ever end?" I thought.

I recall Kylan gave me a hard time about it, as a matter of fact.

But then I got, all of all things, the FTD for "Girl Happy," admittedly somewhat discounted but still pricey.

I was sold on the artwork, the outtakes, and the SIZE which at least reminded us of the larger LPs and certainly fit snug with my 45 rpm Elvis singles. Like Carolyn, I also find myself jumping to the outtakes.

I soon added "Viva Las Vegas" which has even more to recomend.

But Likethebike is right: I bristle at shelling out for "Paradise.." again, although Piers did a heck of a review for it.

But the soundtracks are lower priority for me, as I can barely keep up with all the FTD's issued - let alone afford them.

That said, keep'em coming! The "keep-the-vaults-closed & just-give'em scraps" RCA of the '80s were horrible for us Elvis fans and almost succeeded in driving me away.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:48 pm

I haven't gotten any of the FTD soundtracks, as I only completed getting the Double Features sets about a year ago. I'll probably get the Viva Las Vegas FTD at some point, as I was a bit disappointed with the sound on the VLV DF. Which is rather strange as the majority of the DF's improved on the sound of the soundtrack material. Another reason to get the VLV FTD is that this had the best songs of any 60's soundtrack. I also like most of the Spinout material, so I'll probably get that FTD as well eventually. The idea of Elvis' 60's soundtrack outtakes initially didn't excite me, but after hearing that cool outtake version of She's A Machine on the Easy Come, Easy Go DF, that really turned my head around.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:28 am

And trust me: I kind of liked the doubling-up of some so-so albums (some of Elvis' worst turkeys, by most measures!)...

But when I held, say, "Viva Las Vegas," and "Girl Happy" in my hands, it made those D/F's look like crappy junk. Sorry to say that. 8)

They do full justice to the feeling Lp buyers once had in picking them up.

Yes, it's Elvis in "helmet" hair, but it's such great, '60s campy fun, too.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:30 am

I support all FTD´s and these soundtracks are nice to hear....Some real good songs we find there..

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:34 am

For me the issue is money. I plan to eventually own all FTDs (with the possible exception of Tickle Me). But at the moment I'm far behind as I'm missing most releases of the past 2 1/2 years. Before that I was able to keep up with the release schedule.

The lowest priority for me are soundboard recordings followed by soundtracks. So far I only have Viva Las Vegas and Kid Galahad.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:44 am

As my good friend, Greg, knows soundtracks come first with me. Like others, I have my favorites(PHS is not one of them). Ahhhhhhh! but,
Fun In Acapulco; Girl Happy; World's Fair; Great!!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:09 am

likethebike wrote:It's both a matter of economy and the quality of the program. It's a big decision to shell out $30 for maybe five new tracks even if the sound is upped. When the material is on the quality of "Paradise Hawaiian Style" it's an especially tough sell. I get very depressed listening to this album. Bad lyrics are only part of the problem. With the possible exceptions of "Sand Castles" and maybe the title track (I'm not even sure of those) Elvis is clearly not enjoying himself and not singing well. The original recording quality was bad and the band is flat.

Other soundtracks that own a softer spot in my heart were an easier sell. Also, sound plays a factor in my decision making. For instance I hated the sound on the "Viva Las Vegas" soundtrack on the double features set. That made buying the FTD reissue a no-brainer. But when the sound of the Double Feature was agreeable it was a tougher sell.

ah c'mon bike, Paradise, Hawaiian Style is not that bad, the laughter on the outtakes of this disc is , IMO, worth the price of admission alone!!!

I actually played this cd, in full, when I got it and I gotta admit, I laughed my ASS off when I was listeinin', partly thinkin', man this is sooo silly and at the same time sayin', "God, what was he on to sing that piece a sh*t...? LOL

I do partly agree with u on the qaulity of the material, but it's all history and really nuthin' we can do now. we either accept it and purchase these discs for what they are, and it's high pricing, or we don't.

I opt to take it, you get depressed. no big deal.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:32 am

I loved all, yes ALL the FTD Soundtrack 7" format albums. My Top 3 Fave are HARUM SCARUM, VIVA LAS VEGAS and FUN IN ACAPULCO. I hope FTD will release the remaining ones soon..especially Girls!Girls!Girls! Kissin Cousins and Roustabout.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:34 am

Well "Paradise Hawaiian Style", and "Frankie and Johnny", I just never liked those soundtracks. I have the DF with these songs on them and they will do me just fine. I do have some of the other FTD soundtrax and really like them(i don't have all) VVLV, "Girl Happy", "Spinout", "It Happened at...", "Fun In Acapulco", I had great fun listening to these, and greatly enjoyed the booklets, and original artwork! Alot of these I just have some really crappy LP copies that I had just found at garage sales. I think I had about all of them(soundtrax) on 8-tracks though, so I really enjoy the recreations of the original album art! Anyways they are fun to listen to, but I don't have to have everything. I also got the "Harum Scarum" FTD, and also had the DF cd with these songs. I had never really listened to these songs at all through the years till I got the DF, for me on that particular FTD, I like the DF mixes better. So I was a little put off by the original album mixes on the FTD, JMO. I like the songs, though not essential Elvis listening.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:01 am

To be true..I am just collecting them because of the (few) outtakes I don`t have..sorry I don`t like Elvis`film music that much..after 1960 it began to become a routine although every now and then they had a good song..the exceptions should be Blue Hawaii and Viva Las Vegas with excellent film music..yes..perhaps Girls Girls Girls..

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Uh, wow ... so many different opinions on the soundtracks ... Now, they are quite costly, or at least a significant cost in our E-budgets, BUT ... I have to throw my myself into the ring ... Why? Paradise, Hawaiian Style.

And, I'm not knocking anybody here, but just disputing some statements ... E doesn't sound depressed in these sessions at all! In fact the FTD to me prives that ... the goofing with the national anthem, the "where was that last part" in "This is My Heaven." There's tons more, too - some good alternate barks for "A Dog's Life," and more.

If you want depression and disinterst on a soundtrack, the number one examle has to be "Clambake"! Even in the awesome title track (which I'll be performing LIVE ina concert on 7/26 - really!), Elvis seems to sing only halfway in parts, seemingly unsure of when to come in, etc. On "Confidence," he has NONE. But, just for the title track and "Hey Hey Hey" I'd but an FTD of this in seconds; I'd but three and give a couple of gifts.

Great thread; may the discourse on the soundtracks continue!

CLAMBAKE!

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:56 pm

I have all FTD releases, and I must admit that I enjoy all soundtracks too. I will not mention any of them. All I have to say is that I love them all. I´m just waiting for:

* Girls! Girls! Girls;
* Kissing Cousins;
* Roustabout (THIS WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST!!!);
* Clambake;
* Easy Come, Easy Go/ Stay Away Joe;
* Speedway / Live A Little, Love A Little / Change Of Habit/ Charro!.

Will we have King Creole, Loving You or Jailhouse Rock on FTD ???

Anyway, keep them coming!

Marco Aurelio

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:25 pm

The only FTD's I don't have, are some of the soundtracks. And that's because FTD started to release them 3 at a time, and there was no way I could keep up. It was great news, when they decided to stop doing that.

So hopefully, I will be able to catch up some day.

My favorite FTD soundtracks so far are:

Viva Las Vegas (the best of them all)
Follow That Dream
Kid Galahad
Fun In Acapulco

Rich

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:03 pm

Clambake wrote: Re: "Clambake"! Even in the awesome title track (which I'll be performing LIVE ina concert on 7/26 - really!)CLAMBAKE!

Don't do it! :twisted:

Err....let me guess: you're going to be in a jumpsuit, fake 'burns, high collar and sunglasses? Sigh. :roll:

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:27 pm

Please, no jumpsuit to sing Clambake!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:45 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Clambake wrote: Re: "Clambake"! Even in the awesome title track (which I'll be performing LIVE ina concert on 7/26 - really!)CLAMBAKE!

Don't do it! :twisted:

Err....let me guess: you're going to be in a jumpsuit, fake 'burns, high collar and sunglasses? Sigh. :roll:

Uh, WRONG! Wow, I thought you typed that while wearing a jumpsuit, fake sideburns, and sunglasses ... While I may too recoil in fear at the thought of mixing eras, and tribute artists, etc. I still support anyone's effort to bring us a little live E -- but yeah, sometimes the thought is better than the actual thing!

Actually, I'm children's entertainer ... I do live shows at festivals, etc. local TV, parties and the like, and we've whippped up "Clambake" for our next big concert on 7/26. I've changed a few lyrics around, but we've kept the basic arrangement (which *ahem* is pretty basic, right?).

We've also toyed with "Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby"!

CLAMBAKE!