Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Pizza delivery!

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:17 pm

What happened to the Sun box which was supposed to be released this summer? I'm curious. Of course, Ernst's box-set is what I'm really waiting for - the book will be fantastic, I'm 100% sure about that - but if this Memphis Recording Service box-set is as good as they say it will be, I'll probably get that one, too. Any news?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:34 pm

Keith -

There are a few technical problems which they are striving to overcome.

Uncle Pen has a slight glitch about halfway through.

Oakie Boogie runs 1% too fast.

Give Me More, More, More [of your kisses] is a tad too slow.

Crying Heart Blues & Tennessee Saturday Night have some surface hiss to be filtered out.

Patience !

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:55 pm

That's very interesting, Colin. Too bad about those glitches and surface noises but at least they seem to have the "Tiger Man" master in good condition! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

pizza

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:07 pm

Colin and my favourite Stone the two of you is funny ! MORE PLEASE !

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:37 pm

That sounds fantastic!!!!

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:31 pm

John -

Obviously they are mono !

They have actually been taken directly from the soundtrack of a little-known documentary shot at Sun Studio in 1954 [in color] about Sam Phillips and his new recording 'star'.

Knox Phillips has recently discovered the film tape box in his cellar.

Restoration work continues.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:51 pm

Re: The Memphis Recording Service set: -

There’s an advertisement in the latest edition of “Essential Elvis”

The cover is the same as the one that was first shown on the Internet when the label’s plans were announced, but the contents are as follows:

The Memphis Recording Service Presents “That’s All Right”

A unique book with a 7” single sided pressing of “That’s All Right” from the original 1954 plate with that original 1954 sound.

No remixing or dubbing.

This neat book contains unreleased documentation focusing on the years 1953 –1954.

200 pages of photos, clippings and stories.

(Source “Essential Elvis”)

The whole thing looks very nicely presented judging by the photos that appeared in the advertisement, but it did leave me wondering whether this is the box that was originally promised or a separate project all together.