Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Linda Thompson on TV

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:07 pm

Did anyone see the new David Foster show (here in the US) about his stepsons with Linda? (Bruce Jenner's sons) Nice little intro of her and Elvis, her and Bruce. Then finally she choose David Foster over all these men. Who looks like a fat slob sugar daddy to her and her kids.

I do not know how old she is these days but the scenes of her laying in the sun and washing the cars with no shirt, she looks incredible. She does look like she had her face recently re-done again. Her lips looked puffy and her eyes too frozen.

Her sons with Jenner, are either playing hard for the camera or are complete idiots. 23 and 21, still living at home with no jobs, charging $700 dinners on step daddy, sleeping until 3 pm.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:52 pm

I actually watched about 5 minutes of this awful, awful show. I can't believe the incredible depths of depravity that TV has reached. The sad thing is that Linda had to be talked into doing this show, as she was vehently against it from the start. Too bad she didn't win that battle.

Tom

P.S. Cool house, though.

Re: Linda Thompson on TV

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:02 pm

SouthPaw wrote:Did anyone see the new David Foster show (here in the US) about his stepsons with Linda? (Bruce Jenner's sons) Nice little intro of her and Elvis, her and Bruce. Then finally she choose David Foster over all these men. Who looks like a fat slob sugar daddy to her and her kids.

I do not know how old she is these days but the scenes of her laying in the sun and washing the cars with no shirt, she looks incredible. She does look like she had her face recently re-done again. Her lips looked puffy and her eyes too frozen.

Her sons with Jenner, are either playing hard for the camera or are complete idiots. 23 and 21, still living at home with no jobs, charging $700 dinners on step daddy, sleeping until 3 pm.

Is this supposed to be based on her real life because if it is, I thought Linda was always so grounded and wouldn't seem to tolerate that kind of behaviour from her children. Alas, what people will do for money.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:46 pm

The children are acting, the show is a reality non-reality show.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:17 am

The show in not on TV here.

Not missing out much I guess.

It sounds as if the stepsons learned from the Osbourne kids.

Does Linda have anything Elvis around the house ?

I recently bought "The Bodyguard" Special Editon.

It features a David Foster interview, saying how no one thought that
"I Will Always Love You" would become a hit. I think that was his real start.

Kevin Costner has said in an interview, that Princess Diana was interested in playing the role of Rachel Marron. So if it wouldn't have been for Whitney Houston (has anyone seen her family's reality show Being Bobby Brown ? I have heard it is the worst) David Foster might have never produced that mega-seller.

They both got cameo roles in the movie. Linda Thompson - Academy Member. She gets blood all over her white dress, when Frank Farmer gets shot during the Oscar ceremony. And David Forster mimes the Oscar Show Conductor .

And for the record I really would have loved to see Steve McQueen play the role, since the script had been written for and with him in mind in 1975.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:25 am

Reviews

If you watch it solely as a cartoon and take nothing in it as even remotely genuine, Fox's "The Princes of Malibu" has some modest -- albeit wholly contrived -- entertainment value. So much for the positives.

To say that this purported "reality" series is humiliating to mega-successful music producer David Foster would be the understatement of the young summer. He must be as clueless as his denial-driven, enabling wife Linda Thompson to have allowed cameras and microphones to be scattered around his $40 million, 22-acre Malibu digs so as to capture his ineffectual and profoundly oblivious parenting style. Or then again, maybe we're simply not supposed to take any of this seriously and instead laugh knowingly at the disgraceful entitlement and wretched excess that's dismissed here as adorable rich-boys-will-be-rich-boys behavior. Whatever the case, it's a mortifying spectacle for all involved.

This is basically a sitcom/soap opera that's manufactured with transparent push-button self-mockery by the producers. It features Foster, wife Linda and her two grown (in the chronological sense, anyway) sons from her marriage to Bruce Jenner: 23-year-old Brandon and 21-year-old Brody (along with their friend Spencer Pratt). Foster's stepsons have lived carefree and evidently responsibility-free into young adulthood. But now that the cameras are rolling, he decides it's time these spoiled brats cut out the parties and overnight become motivated, accountable and contributing members of society. Yeah right. Cue the massive party tossed behind Foster's back in the palatial estate, the boozing, the bikini-clad babes and the attendant home destruction -- and the big guy's buffoonish meltdowns.

Foster: "I'll ... I'll ... force them to make their own beds!"

Thompson: "Aren't you being a little harsh, Dave?"

Yes, now that he's centering his own unscripted embarrassment, Foster throws down the gauntlet, closing credit card accounts and vowing an end to the free ride for these high-living slackers. They ignore him, party on ... and the cycle of dysfunction continues unabated for America's voyeuristic enjoyment. The primary illusion at work in "The Princes of Malibu" isn't that we think we're witnessing an actual family dynamic because it's so obviously plotted for maximum absurdity. It's that Foster thought it a good idea to show just how pathetically shrill and disrespected he is around his house and how lamely compliant his wife is. Somebody's head appears to be buried neck-deep in Malibu sand.

Where's the Supernanny when you really need her?

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

----------------------------------------

Imagine the Menendez story without any killings. Would anybody watch? Obviously, this is a proposition not really worth considering -- but the Fox network has considered it anyway and come up with "The Princes of Malibu," a supposedly nonfiction comedy about two ne'er-do-well brothers misbehaving on their stepfather's 22-acre, $40 million seaside estate.

Ah to be young, rich and stupid -- the Idiot's American Dream. The brothers -- Brody (great name), 21, and Brandon, 23 -- get to live that dream in a high-rent district like none other, except that hardly anybody rents. It's more of a high-buy district, though homes on the beach in Malibu can sometimes be leased from their owners for 10, 20, 30 thousand dollars a week if, for instance, said owner goes on location making a movie in New Zealand or Toronto.

Not even the shameless Foxfolk are trying to pass "Princes" off as a reality show, preferring to call it "unscripted." But the basic situation and most of the developments come off as baldly contrived, with the participants playing themselves rather than being themselves and basically just making amateurish home movies for national consumption.

The premiere, at 8:30 tomorrow night on Channel 5, immediately brings to mind Paris Hilton's "The Simple Life" series in that it allows us to spy on the wealthy and take some sort of comfort in their fumbles and bumbles. In the end, though, they're still rich and we're the ones gaping through the window. Who gets the last laugh? Fox, of course, if enough people are desperate enough for diversion to watch this thing.

Production-wise, it's a mess, with edits accompanied by the sound of a whip-like golf swing and the narration poorly written and performed. Twice within the first 10 minutes, the writers use a trite phrase that has to be partly bleeped; it has to do with a certain substance hitting "the fan."

As the show begins, we meet David Foster, a rich and creepy music producer who enjoys the luxury of being able to walk around looking like a homeless codger, unshaven and baggy-pantsed. In marrying Linda Thompson, ex-wife of Olympic star Bruce Jenner, Foster acquired her two sons, neither of whom sees much value in work, study or responsibility, and certainly no reason to pursue them.

"This has gone too far," father Foster declares, and that's before he and Thompson return home to find the boys celebrating Brody's 21st birthday with a wild backyard party for 300 people. "Out, out, out, out, out," Foster tells some of the guests, while others are ordered to "go, go, go, go, go." Having pooped the party, Daddy convenes a "family meeting" for the following day.

The show seems designed to exploit generational differences; the young are likely to side with the boys and their talent for partying, while the old may think they need to be reined in. When viewers of whatever age behold Foster lumbering around his lavish mansion shutting off the lights to save a few bucks, however, they're likely to see him as the cheap old sleaze he appears to be. At the party, he demands to smell the boys' breath, but they're legally of drinking age, and besides, if he's made his money in the record business, he's seen people stoned on substances a lot more potent than liquor.

"Princes" might be satisfying if the boys eventually teamed up with their mother and threw the old man out, but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

After Dad shuts down their credit cards, even to the point of stranding them unexpectedly at Nobu, the ultra-pricey (and, to judge from the footage on the show, ultra-ugly) Malibu restaurant, the boys devise ways to earn money, one of them a carwash on the grounds with bikini-clad cuties soaping up the vehicles -- and each other. And Brody. The carwash creates a traffic jam that strands Chaka Khan, recording star of yesteryear, in her Mercedes or Cadillac or whatever it is.

Brody's buddy Spencer, after justifiably asking "Chaka WHO?," makes a gracious offer: "I'll V.I.P. you" up to the house in a golf cart, he says, inventively turning an old abbreviation into a verb, or maybe that's already been done. Peeks at future episodes, provided by Fox, indicate that the boys' schemes will include trying to sell some of their father's Grammy statuettes on eBay and erecting a makeshift drive-in theater on the plush, lush grounds of the estate.

It's almost frightening to admit, but the more one sees of these guys, the fonder one gets of them. Brody could become a star.

In the '30s, people escaped from the grim reality of the Depression by going to see lavish movie musicals and other such frolic. Perhaps shows like "The Princes of Malibu" are the contemporary equivalent for a society quaking from terrorism and mourning the victims of a highly questionable war. Of course, the escapism of the '30s often had class and wit, but either of those would be a lot to ask of Fox or of yet another "unscripted" TV peeper on any network.

This isn't entertainment for a post-literate culture; it's entertainment for an anti-literate culture -- an exercise not so much in killing time as torturing it into imbecility. For all that, if you do watch you may find yourself rooting for the poor little rich boys and inclined to defend (if not to the death) their right to fritter.

---------------------

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:17 am

Yeah, I watched this crap too as my teenage boys kept asking me who in the hell these jerks were. :lol: I agree with the reviews regarding this silly show. FOX must have been DESPERATE to put this show in their line up. It was done nothing short of a show and tell by Foster and Thompson. Blowing about their money, fame and home while hoping that their slacker sons will nail some type of movie deal. Only one word sums this one up. PITIFUL :!:

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:30 am

If you ask me David Foster got exactly what he bargained for. Letting 2 adult boys who are not his sons, access to his credit cards, and then thinking oops I made a mistake, I better take thier names off of them. What was this guy thinking? Unless of course this whole thing is loosely scripted, then that would explain it.

And have you noticed the type of guys Linda Thompson dates?

Elvis Presley---King of rocknroll
Bruce Jenner---World class athlete and olympic champion
David Foster--Winner of several grammy's.

I don't think she is going to go out with just anyone. High maintenance to say the least.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:25 am

ekenee wrote:And have you noticed the type of guys Linda Thompson dates?

I don't think she is going to go out with just anyone. High maintenance to say the least.

Well, she really hasn't worked much, has she? Her career in Hollywood never really took off so she has found other ways to keep the gravy train going. With her looks and personality I'm not at all surprised she has done good. :)

Speaking of the girlfriends Ginger Alden never really either has made a career for herself, has she?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:02 am

[And have you noticed the type of guys Linda Thompson dates?

Or should it be: have you noticed the kind of men who are attracted to her?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:54 am

She is hot, or was hot, all kinds of men will be attracted to her. She does the filtering.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:03 am

Melanie wrote:I recently bought "The Bodyguard" Special Editon.

It features a David Foster interview, saying how no one thought that
"I Will Always Love You" would become a hit. I think that was his real start.

He'd already had a lot of success by then on films such as Ghostbusters, St Elmos Fire, Pretty Woman and The Secret of My Success. Quite a talented guy really. I've not seen the show and by the sound of it I'm not missing much :)

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:39 pm

I Will Always Love You was written and recorded by Dolly Parton years before the movie The Bodyguard was made.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:28 am

I do not care for Linda. She was or rather still is a USER of men. I never thought she was good looking either. My wife thinks she sorts of looks like Linda and I told her NO WAY! I honestly can say I do not see what Elvis or Jenner or Foster sees in her. One sentence describes her for me. PHONEY AS BALONEY! Her boys will no doubt take the high/easy road just like Linda has done for years.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:51 am

InMemphis wrote:I Will Always Love You was written and recorded by Dolly Parton years before the movie The Bodyguard was made.

It was 'I Have Nothing' that Foster was responsible for. Also a big hit.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:09 pm

MYWAY wrote:I do not care for Linda. She was or rather still is a USER of men. I never thought she was good looking either. My wife thinks she sorts of looks like Linda and I told her NO WAY! I honestly can say I do not see what Elvis or Jenner or Foster sees in her. One sentence describes her for me. PHONEY AS BALONEY! Her boys will no doubt take the high/easy road just like Linda has done for years.

Why is it Linda's fault that powerful, and famous men are attracted to her? Should she ignore them and marry the telephone man?

Take it from me, she is gorgeous.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:49 pm

Quote: Should she ignore them and marry the telephone man?

Yes, if he is her soulmate. If they have a real connection. It is not about the money or fame, or it shouldn't be. But some people are blinded by the glitz and cannot see around it.

Assume for a minute David Foster is not a talented song writer/producer and he doesn't have a mansion or millions of dollars. Don't you think she can do better than this rageaholic dumbass? Why is she even attracted to him? Because she cannot see thru the money and fame for the real ass he is!!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:07 pm

ekenee wrote:Quote: Should she ignore them and marry the telephone man?

Yes, if he is her soulmate. If they have a real connection. It is not about the money or fame, or it shouldn't be. But some people are blinded by the glitz and cannot see around it.

Assume for a minute David Foster is not a talented song writer/producer and he doesn't have a mansion or millions of dollars. Don't you think she can do better than this rageaholic dumbass? Why is she even attracted to him? Because she cannot see thru the money and fame for the real ass he is!!

Then why doesn't he just marry some old ugly girl? If it's his soulmate?

Sure she can do better, I'm the phone man !!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:07 pm

quote:

Then why doesn't he just marry some old ugly girl? If it's his soulmate?

This is the nature's bitter agony. If a guy is broke but is a decent guy it is tough to find good-looking nice women. Once you hit it really big, you will attract more good-looking gold diggers that will simply boggle the mind. Any guy with this kind of money should never ever ever ever marry anyone. It is too risky. You can never be sure that they are after your money. The only exception would be is if she has tons of money too. That evens the playing field somewhat.

But the reason why rich successful men are attracted to hot young chicks doesn't need to be explained. It is obvious. You think for a minute that the hot chick that married Donald Trump with his hair-do would even look at him if he was the telephone guy? Not very likely.

Any rich guy never has to date an ugly woman. He will have his choice of hot woman. A hot young woman can go for the total package ie. good-looking guy, with personality, and money. And get it. But she must know, that he knows, that she is probably not after his personality. All this is the reason why is so difficult to find a true soulmate. There is too many things in society that blinds us to the truely important things in life.

If some of you think I am off base on this, consider this. I am speaking from a male point of view and living in the states. In some states, you can work 20 years at a job($50,000 a year) and accumulate a nice retirement fund ( $100,000) and if the wife decides she no longer wants you around, she will get the house, the car, and that retirement fund. I have seen it happen.