Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New Elvis Today FTD question?

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:49 am

Will the FTD CD of Elvis Today have the same mix as the Elvis Today CD released in 1992. Basically the offical mix that has been available since 1975?

Thanks, Sean

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:54 pm

possibly so. missing an historic opportunity to re mix it (like they lost another when they re released from elvis presley boulevard)!!!

and besides all shook up is remixed by ferrante. possibly he did them all before leaving. :(

MIX

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:16 pm

Sounds like the original mix to me, but on disc 2, you get the original, undubbed session mixes. Check out the unrepaired intro to "I can help" and Duke Bardwell's rather clumsy bass in parts. Also note the longer fade out on "Susan when she tried" with slight error by one of the backing singers! The booklet is superb, with plenty of memorabilia and candid photos included.
TONY DOBB
Last edited by TONY on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:09 pm

"but on disc 2, you get the original, undubbed session mixes"

Thank you Tony for clearifying this. Wasen't sure if the "original mix" meant UNDUBBED or the mixes Elvis rejected. I'm glad that it is in fact the undubbed masters that we get. :) [/quote]

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:46 am

so, do these TODAY Masters on the new FTD sound anything like the mixes on the cd Yesterday and Today???

Y.T.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:05 pm

The "versions" on "Yesterday, today" were, I believe, just some enterprising soul playing about with a graphic equaliser and weren't up to much, sound-wise. On the new FTD, we have the original fade-outs which are shorter in some cases, as, on tracks like "Pieces of my life", for example, the ending was "spliced" to make a longer fade out. On "Susan when she tried", we get a whole extra chorus on the fade out, which was originally edited to omit the slight backing vocal error by Voice.
TONY DOBB

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:27 am

minkahed wrote:so, do these TODAY Masters on the new FTD sound anything like the mixes on the cd Yesterday and Today???

I think the Yesterday/Today CD's were just 2 channels taken from the QuadraDisc version of the album. :?

8)

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:36 am

Thats were you get you sore heads sam...thinking.

Hope this cd is as good a sound as the ELVIS IS BACK?.

My fav lp of the 70"s.

VARIETY

Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:26 pm

You certainly can't knock the variety of styles on "Today". One thing I noticed about "Fairytale", the original mix version is far more "punchier" than the LP version, which had far too many overdubs on. The original version sounds as if it's more dynamic and the drums come thru a lot clearer.