Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:34 am

Those were the days Indeed :D Anyone remember the Shilling coin the cost of the magazine then?

Elvis in his Geman car below...was it a three wheeler. The one he gave to Lanksy for clothes?

The "Memphis Business Journal" ran the story on the link below last Friday.
http://www.free-press-release.com/news/ ... 64945.html

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:37 pm

The tiny car was a German built Messerschmitt. The steering wheel slides away, and you enter from the front of the car.
They were manufactured at the airplane plant, beginning in 1948 until 1964.

The original design was a fuel efficient car for disabled war vets ... easy access through the front half of the car.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:20 pm

Thanks TCB TED, I saw a couple of them in Manchester UK back in the early 60s.

In 1974 A friend had a smaller version the roof lifted up, and it was a kick-start!
At that time my hair was on my shoulders and my beard gave me the look of a viking............at least our kids thought so :wink:

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:04 am

I read every Elvis related book I could get my hands on, hung out at Graceland, bought records, 8 tracks, cassettes, cd's....

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:40 am

I might still be married if I didn't have the PC. She used to whine all the time about my time spent on this (and other) boards. Oh, well. Now that the dead weight is gone, I'm free to roam wild!

Aside from that, I did the same as InMemphis and many others who have posted.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:07 pm

Thanks folks.

I bought my first computer November 1998 expressly to to get involved with Elvis fans and find out how Elvis and his music was perceived internationally.

Primarily it was a book sent to me from my sister Christmas 1996 which sparked off my renewed interest in Elvis after a 20 year absense. "The Official Guide To Graceland". The photo of Elvis's grave and the realisation 1997 would be an important, 20th Anniversary. Time to hit back at all the hacks who had been insulting us for decades. What a boon e-mail has been.

Aloha show

Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:22 pm

I think the audience (or maybe TV) is somewhat responsible for the "lameness" of the Aloha show. Elvis sings great, but it doesn't seem the audience fully appreciates him. For example, I watched the Aloha show last night and watched Elvis do a killer job on Trilogy. One of his finest moments on stage. I looked at the audience after the song and NOBODY was standing. Maybe this was just the times (1973) or because they were instructed to sit because of TV, but it was as insult to a superstar like Elvis to perform a great song and have no standing ovation. I go to concerts today (Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Bruce Springsteen) and most of the time, the whole audience is standing for the whole show, going crazy.

There is a similiar thing in the Las Vegas shows. After Can't help falling in love is song in the TTWIS, you do see several of the front rows standing after the song, but you would think the whole place would come unglued after that performance!

On EOT and Elvis in Concert, things are better, but you still see a lot of folks sitting on their ass instead of standing in the right places in the concert. Elvis deserved standing ovations for Hurt and unchained Melody but did not receive them. Perhaps he just had a more conservative crowd in the 70's....It's hard for me to understand. Maybe they were so "blown away" by his presence, that they were "quiet" so they could hear everything he had to say/sing.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:41 pm

tsc4280, Try a classical music audience, the clapping can go on till boredom sets in:-)

People in the past were a little more sparing with standing ovations. Now hardly known mediocrities have many thousands applauding every silly song or act.

Today here in Ireland in the humid heat we climbed a high hill, 1,000 feet or so, and crept inside a burial mound built before the Pyramids of Egypt.

Oh yes Elvis! The place may have been built for a High King:-)

I'm listening...................