Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What Did You Do Concerning Elvis Before PCs

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:57 am

I was never a member of a fan club. Never attended Elvis related events.
Just like the millions of other Fans out there I was content to listen to his music and watch some of his movies on TV.

1997 was the first year I got involved.

Would anyone like to share their experience?

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article ... 16,00.html

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:19 am

i already had a pc/were interested in pc's before i became elvis fan, so i didn't do anythnig concerning Elvis before

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:22 am

Interesting subject, ie, before the worldwide web.

I joined a fan club called Elvis In Canada in 1982, and attended 2 or 3 conventions. I basically drove an hour, popped in to buy some bootleg albums and cassettes, and fled. As a 20yr old, I found the whole "fan" environment too bizarre .... old ladies yelling and screaming over films being projected, and old guys walking around with sunglasses and died muttonchops. All I cared about was the incredible music, not the fanaticism.
Basically, all that was left for me was import record shops, scouring entertainment newspapers for official RCA information, and lots of radio specials. I also caught a few Elvis impersonator shows and theatrical productions, but they always left me cold ... lacked the charisma and magic that I knew existed with the real thing.
Prior to the vcr, I also scanned the tv guide every week searching for movies to tape.
It was tough being a fan in the late 70's/early 80's .... you had to dig for what you got.
It was definitely more innocent, as I could dismiss Goldman's book and had never heard of Desert Storm.
Basically, you invested considerable effort to obtain any new, quality Elvis
music or video ... but it was always worth it!

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:25 am

[quote="TCB TED"]Interesting subject, ie, before the worldwide web.

Prior to the vcr, I also scanned the tv guide every week searching for movies to tape.

Oops, meant to say " with the introduction of the vcr ....". Timed taping on those first vcr's on uhf broadcasts was a real pain ... lots of little wheels to turn, locking higher stations into your tuner.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:16 am

I don't belong to a fan club. I don't attend Elvis related events. I'm content to listen to his music and watch his movies and other programs on DVD and/or tape. Come to think of it that's what I did before PCs. Except for DVDs.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:28 am

I've been an on and off member of the GB fan club since the 80s and I plan to rejoin soon - keeps slipping my mind. Before the internet, I would rely on the fan club magazine for information, as well as buying most publications with Elvis articles included. I was also more fanatical about getting everything that appeared on tv onto vcr. The internet has really improved things for fans I think. We are all kept up to date on a daily basis on anything of interest, and that's a huge bonus :)

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:47 am

Thanks folks, We all have our different viewpoints, but all share a love of Elvis's wonderful voice.
I was an insatiable fan from 1957 till about 1962 and then became a little bored(A lot). The Elvis monthlies at the time were a source of annoyance..praising mediocre material and silly movies.

Thankfully we discovered the great music of Ludwig Van Beethoven and company about that time.

1977 brought us back to Elvis.We purchased the best of his later albums. It took me quite a while to appreciate even the best of that material.

Then back to the classics. All the time keeping an eye on how Elvis was being treated in the media..........................disgracefully!!!

Early 1997 I contacted a national radio show here in Ireland and they did a fine tribute to Elvis for the 20th Anniversary.

We were hooked on Elvis again. Born again Elvis fans:-)

The amount of Elvis music, books, magazines, videos and DVD's etc we have accumulated in recent years is amazing, as is the amount of time I spend surfing on the www since buying my first computer in 1998.

I just wish I could drive it better! I would have replied to everyone individually.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:15 am

i was the kid around the pool making her friends listen to elvis golden hits compilations instead of the spice girls, no doubt, and a lot of early 90s electronic disco pop. :lol: ah, the days of jtt, hanson, and the power rangers. heh.

elvis wasn't particularly the "in" thing. not to mention my fettish for oldies in general. i thought oldies were recent until my mom took word from my friends when i was 12 and bought a bunch of britney, christina, nsync, bsb, etc... lol

when i got re-elvised, i came here...so basically i became a fanatic around summer 2003--found this place in 2004, but i remember listening to elvis when i was a toddler.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:06 pm

I became a fan in september 1959. Information about Elvis was minimal in The Netherlands. In 1964-1965 I joined the British fanclub so I could order records from Heanor Record Center and they would send catalogues so I could figure out which songs to get on which LP.
Money was tight at the low paid job!
Radio would play 1 hour (minus newsbroadcast) pop music on friday afternoon. Luckily this situation changed when I learned about Radio Luxemburg but reception was poor and with a floating sound. But they had 15 minutes of Elvis once a week and played lots of pop music.

I visited the first Dutch Elvis meeting in 1966 or 1967 in Amersfoort. First to a movie theatre where a movie was shown, then all fans walk through town to a hall where a band played. Those were the days!
Made lots of friends and met lots of nice people. And the occasional "known it all".

At work I checked the newspaper for any Elvis movies playing in the area. I would travel to small villages by bus just to see an Elvis movie.
In 1969 I travelled to Leicester to see King Creole (or was it Loving you?) and in 1970 I travelled to Paris to see Loving you (or was it King Creole?) and by then I had seen all of Elvis' movies in the theatre. The documentaries TTWII and On tour I saw when released.

When I left the Royal Dutch Airforce I got a well-paid job at an American company and the Americans were so kind to take along the latest Elvis releases when they went on a business trip to the USA. In The Netherlands Elvis discs were released at least 6 weeks after the USA release.

Next to Elvis conventions in the seventies there were also record fairs where old and new discs were offered for sale and of course all the unofficial stuff........

Learning about a new release in the sixties was either because it was published in the fanclub magazine or the record was in the shops before the fanclub magazine came out. In the seventies I got the new records before they were released thanks to a DJ friend at a USA radio station!
He got advance copies and usually sent one straight to me by airmail.

These days I learn on the internet what's coming or what's rumoured to come. :wink:

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:43 pm

Nice replies. The diversity of Elvis fans is truly remarkable.

Back in the late 50s Elvis info was scarce unless you had money for luxuries like newspapers and magazines:-)

1957 Yours truly heard about "Jailhouse Rock" BEFORE "Loving You" and got the surprise of my life in Oxford street, Manchester UK when I came across a very long queue for the latter! Watched it at the cinema seven time. Seven consecutive nights. And again in our local cinema...fanatical is not the word:-)

Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:49 pm

Very interesting!
I became a fan with only 4 years old!! in 1989 and always bought the LP´s (I didn´t have money so I would ask my parents :D )..
Then came the CD era and started collecting and in 1990 I visited the official fan club here in Brazil for the first time.
Through 10 years I didn´t participate of any event, except those cover concerts (horrible) and small events in shoppings..
In 2000, I joined the Gang Elvis Brazil fan club and we have 4 events a year.. It´s great and I met a lot of friends.. and with the internet available I could have a huge amount of information for me and I met this place that I believe is the biggest Elvis forum in the world which I found real friends and that´s very nice...
Surely much easier!

Best Regards
Renan.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:55 pm

Steve_M wrote:If it wasn't for the inter-web I would probably no longer be a fan.

Interaction between fans has been the key to maintaining my connection with Elvis. The fans available to do this with prior to the inter-web were not very appealing and kinda had that "day release" aura about them.

I`m sure you have found some of them still do have that Day Releaseabout them... even on the web :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:43 pm

Luuk, the younger fans have no idea of the trials and trubulations of us trying to hear Elvis on the media back then. Not that it mattered when you could play a single over and over on a Dansette;-) Or line up ten on automatic , and sit down on the one you placed on a chair!

Renan, I have a grand-daughter older than you:-)
You are very fortunate to have use of a computer and an "Elvis world" to explore on the Web.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:39 pm

woodleyjohn, wrote "As for what did I do before PCs? I had a life :shock: "
I know only too well what you mean :wink:

Record players are another subject. How many have you worn out since then...if you got one for your "Jailhouse Rock" single? Did you treat it nice :)

Re: What Did You Do Concerning Elvis Before PCs

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:43 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:I was never a member of a fan club. Never attended Elvis related events.
Just like the millions of other Fans out there I was content to listen to his music and watch some of his movies on TV.

1997 was the first year I got involved.

Would anyone like to share their experience?

Interesting MiI. I wasn't exposed to his music much growing up (born in '62), but a guy quite a few years my senior that I almost married in '93 was a huge fan and re-introduced me to his music, turned me into quite a fan. Then, only earlier this year did I make the astounding discovery of all the websites, EBTP, all kinds of things, I had no idea. What a great time to jump on board, I didn't have to suffer what you describe as the trickle of rarely released things years ago. I would have been miserable. :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:45 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
As for what did I do before PCs? I had a life :shock:

I, too, had a much firmer caboose. :wink:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:33 am

Thanks Net, Keep the info coming, caboose an' all :shock:

The hand clapping, dancing in the aisles, and the wonderful atmosphere in the cinemas during Elvis movies back in the 50s, just had to be experienced to really appreciate that golden era.

http://www.free-press-release.com/news/ ... 64945.html

Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:15 am

John -

You wrote:
As for what did I do before PCs?
I had a life

So did I !

I can clearly remember when......... err.......... um.............

Say, haven't we always had them ?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:07 pm

Elvis in the 50s changed us all.

My life suddenly took a new course, I had a reason to squander the little dough available on magazines, NME, Melody Maker and Disc. The rare Jukeboxes around the city ate the coins up rapidly.

Elvis's recordings were a, must have!

Introducing Elvis to all the neighbours got me into a lot of trouble with the Ma. Even with the limited degree of volume available on a portable record player :shock:

http://www.free-press-release.com/news/ ... 64945.html

What Did You Do Concerning Elvis Before PCs

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:59 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:What Did You Do Concerning Elvis Before PC s

Spending less money!!! :evil:

I usually found out about new issues in the specialized record store. It worked for me and looking back I haven't missed any release at all.

Since internet I'm buying releases I already own because of the supposedly improved sound quality. Remains to be seen if that's a wise choice or wether the current mastering turns out to be a hype. Remember the fake stereo age? I guess back then it was considered progress. Also remixing is always causing a lot of discussion. Actually I was never bothered with sound quality and if it weren't for internet I still wouldn't have been.

Another minor of internet is that I know what releases to await. That's not progress for someone impatient who wants to have it all and wants to have it now. Where's that Sun box? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Still I can't resist to check out what's the news everyday and I enjoy reading people's opinions. Also since internet I know most Elvis fans are 70's fans. That's hard to understand because to me Elvis made history in the 50's and I wouldn't have noticed his 70's output if it wasnn't done by the same guy who shook the world in the 50's. I mean I like the 70's stuff okay but nowhere near to the 50's stuff of Elvis and many others (Buddy Holly, Bo Diddley, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Johnny Burnette, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash and the list goes on and on). Maybe the 70's fans are the type of fans that besides Elvis don't like other artists that much while the 50's fans also like lots of other artists instead of just Elvis.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:57 pm

I had my newsagent order in the Elvis magazine 'Elvis Monthly'. I think that was the name anyway, small booklet with a crown on the top..

Anyway, I got all my Elvis info there throughout my early teens. Then I started listening to more modern music for a couple of years, and stopped getting the magazines.

I started working for an internet company in '98, and that's when I first found the internet, and all it had to offer. It got me back onto Elvis, and I've been hooked again ever since.

Kev.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:02 pm

I looked out for details on new releases in magazines like Record Collector, Mojo and Q. And I picked up the odd book about the man.*

*And some of them were very odd! ;)

Jules

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:11 pm

The hand clapping, dancing in the aisles, and the wonderful atmosphere in the cinemas during Elvis movies back in the 50s, just had to be experienced to really appreciate that golden era.

When we did that in the 50s, they turned the sound down!
So we had to wait till the movie was over, then we tuned the place upside down.

That's hard to understand because to me Elvis made history in the 50's and I wouldn't have noticed his 70's output if it wasnn't done by the same guy who shook the world in the 50's. I mean I like the 70's stuff okay but nowhere near to the 50's stuff of Elvis and many others (Buddy Holly, Bo Diddley, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Johnny Burnette, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash and the list goes on and on).

My point exactly!! A couple of years ago I met a guy of whom I found that he was an Elvis fan. The first question is allways: what do you have? Well, that wasn`t very much. One 60`s movieand a aloha video and a couple of 70`s albums or CD`s. Is that all? Yes that was all he had. I had and still have all the 50 and 60`s on 10 inch tapes. So he gave me a stack of cassettes, I copied the whole lot for him. HE DIDNT LIKE IT!!!!`
I still can`t for the life of me understand that somebody can be a fan for the seventies only and dislike the rest.

As for the rest: the first Elvis record I ever heard was Don`t be cruel. I think somewhere in `57. on a juke-box ( the only instrument I ever learned to play)
The first record was a worn out single with Tutti Frutti/ Blue suede shoes. Money in those days was indeed very tight.

Those were the days, Maurice!!

Wim

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:22 am

woodleyjohn wrote:As for what did I do before PCs? I had a life :shock:

:lol:
I love that trademark British humour!

Anyway, in the 80s there wasn't much to do for me. Being a teenager, money was scarce. I remember VHS-taping the '68 Special in 1986, though. From the one Channel available at the time. They also aired Aloha from Hawaii and This is Elvis during the same week in August, if I remember correctly. Aloha was a disappointment (still is :/), but the other two programmes blew me away.
A few years later, when I was a student, the local radio station had an Elvis hour on Sundays. They sometimes played some rare stuff, including imports. That's when I started to get more thoroughly into Elvis' music.

Elvis before PCs

Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:20 pm

What a great subject for us old timers to reminisce about.

Before PCs, email and the Internet....the post office was our Internet. I got into STRICTLY ELVIS in 1973. I carried each issue around with me until it almost wore out, but luckily, next month's issue arrived.

I was in the Bob Heis, Sean Shaver, Phil Gelormine fan clubs (among others) and of course these guys sold their photos. So getting a package of photos in the mail after each tour was a blast.

I live in West Virginia, I always felt we were a little behind the curve as far as new LPs and Movies coming to town (in the 70's). So in the case of the LPs TODAY or THE PROMISED LAND I never new if the LP just came out or it came out last year. It was just when/whatever the local dime store got the shipment in. It didn't really matter, if I didn't have it, I bought it. There was a lot of romanticism and excitement in not knowing when the new release were coming out. They just showed up.

The other thing before PCs, we actually put pen to paper and wrote a letter to our "Pen Pals". Sometimes the phone was used. I got the Bloomington IN ‘76 show on cassette the week after he played there. John Herman, at the time lived 40 minutes from me. He sent me the New Years Eve Pittsburgh show on cassette in February of 1977. So calling sped things up.

Obviously the big difference is........SPEED. For me (maybe it was just a West Virginia thing) but I was always a month behind. After a tour, you get the photos, see what Elvis wore, read about the shows. At the same time Elvis would be back on tour so you spent your time waiting for the mail man to come by. Now, tonight, after Springsteen plays we'll get the set list posted, maybe a photo and can down load the show tomorrow.

I can honestly say that I have become more knowledgeable about Elvis, saw more photos, heard more shows and even learned more about the shows I saw because of the Internet than I did living in 70's right in the thick of things.

The biggest most refreshing thing I've learned via the Internet was just how much Elvis did change his set list. I'm always interested in discovering that one rearrangement, that one phrasing, that one note held longer that made it special for those folks to have Elvis in their town that night!

A side bar note. We all have the shows on CD now, and yes it gets redundant. But seeing Elvis Live was so exciting it didn't matter what he did (which was part of the problem). I think a lot of folks really wanted to see him do the Aloha show over and over (hence Opening night vs the 2nd night set list change in August of 1974). But it was really refreshing to see Elvis in the summer of 1976 doing Hurt, Love Letters, And I Love You So, and America the Beautiful. Those were a welcome change from the summer before with Wonder of You, Burning Love, Tiger Man. (I'm speaking in terms of varied set list....not so much my favorite songs).

Anyway.....great subject for discussion!
brad