Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Hound Dog on over 600 CD's

Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:15 am

Just for your interest - I swiped this from another board who were trying to determine the the greatest nember of CD's a song appears on.

Here's a surprise:
(according to CDDB)

Runaway by Del Shannon - on 396 CD's

Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers - 304 CD's

The Twist - Chubby Checker - 482 CD's (Approx)

HOUND DOG - ELVIS PRESLEY - 624 CD's!! <-- A commanding lead so far!

Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:30 am

Now if you count bootlegs and soundboards and all of that, it must be near 2000.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:36 am

a devoted fan would own a copy of every single one of those cds.

:D

Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:02 am

Excellent post KiwiAlan.

Re: Hound Dog on over 600 CD's

Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:28 am

KiwiAlan wrote:HOUND DOG - ELVIS PRESLEY - 624 CD's!! <-- A commanding lead so far!

Of those, how many are the July 2, 1956 master recording? One suspects likely more than half. Only a nutcase would own the same take 300+ times.

On the other hand, how many of these are worthy performances, besides the above? Save live takes from 1956 (TV and concert) and 1961 (Hawaii), only 1969 (Vegas) has redeeming value.

DJC

Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:HOUND DOG - ELVIS PRESLEY - 624 CD's!! <-- A commanding lead so far!

Of those, how many are the July 2, 1956 master recording? One suspects likely more than half. Only a nutcase would own the same take 300+ times.

On the other hand, how many of these are worthy performances, besides the above? Save live takes from 1956 (TV and concert) and 1961 (Hawaii), only 1969 (Vegas) has redeeming value.

DJC

c'mon Doc, you mean to tell me that the '77 versions of Hound Dog have no redeeming value??? :D

guess I'm one of those "nutcases", cuz I know I own at least over 300 takes (1/2 of them The MASTER take) of Hound Dog on various cd's...

Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:31 am

I assume that total includes multi-artist compilation CDs as well. So the people buying it are not necessarily buying 600 takes of the same song.

I would argue that the slow/fast '72 revamp of the song has some redeeming value as well. There's a level of self-mocking but there is also a level of commitment and it's a good rendition of the song albeit far from definitive. It's not art but it's entertaining.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:56 am

I like every Hound Dog version.....I don´t know what´s the problem in the 70´s version...... they all sound good at least.
Very nice topic KiwiAlan.

Best Regards
Renan.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:13 am

very interesting

Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:01 am

I love the 72 versions as well.
Of course all dedicated Elvis fans will have the Hound Dog original on numerous CDs/records. That doesn't mean we're `nutcases' just victims of the RCA/BMG compilation policies.
rick

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:07 am

renanagulled wrote:I like every Hound Dog version.....I don´t know what´s the problem in the 70´s version...... they all sound good at least.
Very nice topic KiwiAlan.

Best Regards
Renan.

Renan, you crack me up, you comedian you. :shock: :D :D :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:10 pm

I like the version on the MSG evening show with the slow bluesy beginning.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:42 pm

It's true the vast majority of the 70's versions were throwaways but I also like the MSG version.........perhaps the only time in the 70's EP bothered to put a bit of effort into it.

Let's face it though, it's impossible to top the original! I understand 'Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel' is the most played song on US jukeboxes. Quite right too. 8)

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:02 pm

I bought the original 78rpm version in Manchester UK 1957. A classic! Wore it out from constant play. Relatives prefered, "Dont' Be Cruel".
But whenever I hear Elvis singing "Hound Dog" on the radio I know more Elvis fans will be along soon.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article ... 16,00.html

Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:24 am

Elvis' '70s version of "' Dog" were far removed from the '50s, no doubt, but I do agree that his New York performance had some zest. I actually think he should have done more with that "funk version." His version here was an attempt to bridge the old and the new and really worked. Unfortunately, his lack of interest during the decade was all too apparent on such vehicles.

For a long time to come, all versions "Hound Dog" remain as a song to put back on the shelf and let it rest do to "over-work." When that emergency grabs you, by all means "break glass" to hear this classic anew.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Only a nutcase would own the same take 300+ times.

Now we all know that in the Wonderful World of Elvis, there are no "nut cases."

Especially on this board.

Think anyone bought that?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:09 am

I need help. I only have it on 599 CD's.
Can someone tell me what Cd I am missing? :P :wink:

8)

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:24 am

sam wrote:I need help. I only have it on 599 CD's.
Can someone tell me what Cd I am missing?

Sam,

It's possibly the 2003 release "Songs you've got 599 times but not in this order"! :wink:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:23 am

Sam -

You wrote:

You're missing more than a CD !

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:06 pm

ColinB wrote:Sam -

You wrote:

You're missing more than a CD !

You been looking through my stuff colinB?
:wink: :P
Go cut the grass!!! :wink:

:lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:10 pm

sam wrote:

I need help. I only have it on 599 CD's.
Can someone tell me what Cd I am missing? :P :wink:

8)

And just think how many versions you've all got socked away of "See See Rider," "I Got A Woman / Amen" ("We-ell...." Well, well, well, well...."), etc. etc.!!!

Hide some of that obsessiveness when company (?) comes over, okay? :shock: :D :lol: :lol:

Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:09 am

Jerry Lee Lewis Sun Recording of "Whole lotta shaking going on" is just like an fly on the wall,it is everywhere.
But it sure sounds better than an fly :D