Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I am disgusted by this!

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:48 pm

New rules at the Graceland Parking Lot.

The parking fee is $5.00

Trailers/oversized vehicles $10.00

Only the credit card gives you a $2.00 discount. The Elvis Insiders card was not acceptable for a discount.

THERE IS NO LONGER FREE PARKING FOR HANDICAP PLACARDS OR TAGS

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:59 pm

the standard parking fee went from $2 to $5 - nice.

no free handicapped parking?

EPE = Evil People Enterprises :?:

it's all about money...money honey

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:20 pm

ImageImageImage

Tom

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:45 pm

Not sure how it is where other people live, but $5 seems almost quaint to me.

That's cheaper than I'm accustomed to for routine downtown errands in many cities I visit -- and MUCH cheaper than I pay at other atttractions in my hometown or elsewhere. Even for my routine events such as symphony orchestra and opera performances, I pay $5 or $10.

I don't have a reason to defend a parking increase, but on the other hand I can't see why anyone would be "disgusted" by this, when the fee is considerably less than at other popular sites.

As far as the handicapped issue, again that seems pretty routine to me. I can't think of many events or sites I've visited that don't charge according to space rather than circumstance.

In fact, I suspect the change in Graceland policies was made with an eye to practices other places.

No big deal in my opinion. Of course I'd rather they pay ME to park, but I think I'll save my disgust for something else.

Re: I am disgusted by this!

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:17 am

ME4EP wrote:New rules at the Graceland Parking Lot.

The parking fee is $5.00

Trailers/oversized vehicles $10.00

Only the credit card gives you a $2.00 discount. The Elvis Insiders card was not acceptable for a discount.

THERE IS NO LONGER FREE PARKING FOR HANDICAP PLACARDS OR TAGS

That's a bummer! Since almost everyone here is visiting Graceland at least 10 times a year that's really awful news! :x

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:19 am

I went to a major league baseball game last week and paid $10.00 to park. Then I paid $19.00 for two Bud Lights and two bags of peanuts for my wife and myself. I didn't mind though because I knew that Ken Griffey Jr. needs the money.

EPE needs the money as well, so I don't mind helping out the needy and less fortunate.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:41 am

If Sillyman needs the money perhaps he should open a Jimmy Dean Pure Pork Sausage Shop across the road from Graceland. Hey, at least thats slightly Elvis related!

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 am

well maybe EPE is losing money on their investment in Ricky Nelson memorabilia licensing
and need to recoup that in parking rates

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:13 am

G G -

They've got to finance that generous raise they just gave the resident gardener !

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:46 am

No matter the price...fans will still pay,even tho they are getting ripped off buy the ex and now the guy who owns most of it.

Just a view..

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:49 am

It always costs me at least 10 bucks everytime I go to a concert. Hey just stay at the Heartbreak Hotel or Days Inn At Graceland and park there, the parking is included with your room fee! lol

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:56 am

ColinB wrote:G G -

They've got to finance that generous raise they just gave the resident gardener !

it is that time of year when they raise the admission price for the mansion,
so in turn raise the salary of the gardener :wink:

seriously tho:

the admission price to walk thru the mansion deliberately fluctuates between
$16 and $25 depending on what time of year.

July and August? you bet the price is higher!

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:42 am

I paid the equivalent of $5.00 on Tuesday for parking when I had an appointment to see a consultant at hospital.. at least Graceland is leisure :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:16 am

I'm a driver with a disability. It's nice that the "handicapped" spots are usually closer to the door. But I don't think that should necessarily
"entitle" me to free parking. It's a nice perk if available, but I don't expect it.

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:34 am

Where I used to live I had to pay the equivalent of circa $12 a month to park in front of my own home! Anybody visiting had to pay around $4 minimum for 2 hours, then move the car and pay another $4 for 2 more hours as the maximum time to park was 2 hours!
And the city council wondered why I moved to a nicer home in a nicer area with free parking for me and any friends visiting for as long as needed or wanted! :wink:

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:50 pm

Sounds to me like some people have nothing better to do than to moan about 5 lousy dollars.

These days you have to pay to park near almost any kind of tourist attraction.

What's the big deal dude...........You need to get with the program- lol

:wink:

Sq

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:48 am

Yep, I've nothing better to do than moan about $5.00.

The main point here is this "<b>THERE IS NO LONGER FREE PARKING FOR HANDICAP PLACARDS OR TAGS</b>

In the many visits I have made since the mid 80's there has always been free parking for those less fortunate than myself and what really bugs me is the greed of EPE who now feel the need to take dollars from these people for parking...... I mean, come on EPE have a heart for crying out loud!

Elvis must be turning in his grave.
I know I didn't know him and I can't really say that but that's how I feel about it.

Of course with the forced closures of Memories of Elvis and Loose Ends later this year I'm sure you will also find the FREE parking at Graceland crossing will disappear as well.

Money grabbing SOB's, don't we spend enough with them when we are there?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:57 am

JerryNodak wrote: It's nice that the "handicapped" spots are usually closer to the door.

That's a pet hate of mine,people without "Disabled badges" parking in the Disabled bays at Tesco's!!! winds me up!!! :twisted:

Sorry,that's all I've got say on the matter. :oops:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:12 am

Steve_M

You know that with certain disabilities it is totally impossible and impracticle to be treated the same as an able bodied person so......... Well done EPE!

If they want to try that angle they better find a way soon of getting the wheelchair bound into the TV Room and Pool Room at Graceland (they don't get to see this part of the tour in person) by maybe incorporating a stir lift to the lower level on the tour for these people........ NO, NO you can't do that to GRACELAND!

Catch my drift? :roll: :shock: :wink:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:22 am

Steve_M wrote:I'm a driver with a disability - I lack the ability to afford $5 to park. :lol:

For $5 I'd want the deeds to that plot.

I`m always amazed how well your guide dog drives :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:52 am

ME4EP wrote: they better find a way soon of getting the wheelchair bound into the TV Room and Pool Room at Graceland

I can't believe Elvis never thought about this when he bought the place in 1957? :shock: :wink:

Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:22 am

I have always found it it appalling to pay for parking to an event where you are paying admission if the event is being sponsored by the same people that own the parking. I mean if you're parking in an independent parking garage that's one thing. However, if you are parking in the attraction's lot, it seems disrespectful and greedy to ask you to pay for parking. They want you to come into their place and spend money. Yet they want to charge you money over and above the admissions and whatever you buy inside. You are doing them a favor by patronizing their event. A place to park your car seems a reasonable concession.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:26 am

likethebike -

They'd only add the parking fee to the admission price.

Then people who travelled there by public transport [or walked] would get stung for parking as well.