Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

RCA Vinyl Pressings in the 1970's

Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:41 pm

For those who are into vinyl LP's, it is no secret that RCA pressed some of the worst vinyl in history during the 1970's, not just Elvis LP's but also Waylon Jennings, John Denver, Perry Como, etc.....The vinyl and mastering on these were not up to par by music industry standards. The Columbia, Epic and Capitol LP's at the time were true high fidelity. The dynaflex groove concept by RCA did'nt help much either in terms of sound quality.
Last edited by moodyblue1 on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:41 am

This is true. Columbia had the best vinyl and the best pressings, for LPs, in the late 70s and through the 80s. They were the worst for singles - they used polystyrene (the thicker kind of 45) which wore quickly. I never understood why they used the two types.

Capitol and WEA (they used the same pressing plants) were in the middle and RCA was the worst, but these all still used vinyl for 45s.

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:50 am

Could this have contributed to Elvis' apparent comments "Why don't my records sound that that?" (referring to other artists records)?

Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:45 am

Must have been a world wide policy. Throughout the 60's RCA in New Zealand were even worse than the US discs. So bad I imported mine from the USA or Australia.

However from about 1970 the plant RCA used (and had a financial interest in) closed down and the vastly superior EMI factory was used.

That has been one advantage of CD's - they must conform to the Red Book standard - tho the mastering can be a problem.