Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

49 Yrs Ago: "Hound Dog/ Don't Be Cruel" (NPR spot)

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:45 pm

I found this neat radio profile of the story behind "Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel" on NPR's site. It's from their "NPR 100" series from awhile back:
"the most important American musical works of the 20th century."

Why? Well, it's 49 years ago this month since those landmark recordings in New York City...

First released in 1956 on opposite sides of one 45-rpm record, Elvis Presley's two hit singles shot to top of the popular-music charts and fostered the birth of rock and roll. NPR's Elizabeth Blair reports on Presley, Mike Leiber, Jerry Stoller and Otis Blackwell -- the people behind the music. (8:00)

You'll have to scroll down and probably have at least Real Player.

http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/vo ... ist.html#H

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:57 pm

Bumping this so I can remember to listen to it later.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:03 pm

That's fine, Mike.

Glad you liked this and the Sun links,too.

"Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" have been so worn out in my memory at different times of my life that I've given them a long rest and rarely listen to them.

Sometimes I put on "new ears" and again remember how utterly phenomenal such tunes still are.

"Hound Dog" in particular is as explosive as ever. I heard it played on an old-fashioned jukebox in a diner recently: it rocked the house!

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:That's fine, Mike.

Glad you liked this and the Sun links,too.

"Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" have been so worn out in my memory at different times of my life that I've given them a long rest and rarely listen to them.

Sometimes I put on "new ears" and again remember how utterly phenomenal such tunes still are.

"Hound Dog" in particular is as explosive as ever. I heard it played on an old-fashioned jukebox in a diner recently: it rocked the house!

I feel the same way about these 2 songs, Greg. HD is definitely explosive.

DBC, though, will always remain a fave because its just so damn unqiue. It tells a great story and has a fantastic melody.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:47 pm

Mike C wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:DBC, though, will always remain a fave because its just so damn unqiue.

Something is either unique or not unique. There are no degrees of "uniqueness".

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:51 pm

Spellbinder,
You are definitely unique.

Tom

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:59 pm

"Spellbinder" wrote:

Mike C wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:DBC, though, will always remain a fave because its just so damn unqiue.

Something is either unique or not unique. There are no degrees of "uniqueness".

Blinder, if you're going to come on here and nitpick over spelling (especially when a sizeable number of folks are not fluent in English - and Mike C. certainly is capable) than at least learn how to correctly use the quote function.

You were quoting Mike C., not Greg Nolan.

See? We ain't so perfect ourselves now, are we?

Have a nice day. :roll:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:54 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:"See? We ain't so perfect ourselves now, are we?

Something is either perfect or it is not. There are no degrees of "perfection."

:D :D :D Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D :D :D